follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Understanding used car smog check timeline

so i bought my 2013 BRZ almost two years ago this month. It was initially smogged at the time of the sale as is required any time you sell a used car in california. I pulled up the history on this website and it was the only time it had been smogged (makes sense).

i was told that after it was first smogged California puts every car on a 2 year smog schedule. My two year smog anniversary is coming up in another week or so but i have not received any notifications from the DMV that i am up for a re-smog. The car registration for me is good until May of 2020. Am i going to have to smog it on the smog 2-year anniversary or just when i go to pay next year's registration? When is the earliest i can smog? like every other good 86 owner on this forum i am asking so i can install a header and leave it on for the longest possible time before i get smogged again lmao.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Anal0g

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can take the car to get smogged at anytime, but keep in mind that it's only good for 90 days. If your registration date falls within that time frame (which it sounds like it does), you'll want to get it smogged ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
My two year smog anniversary is coming up in another week or so but i have not received any notifications from the DMV that i am up for a re-smog.
What does your registration renewal notice say? If it lists that smog is required, then you'll need to get it done before they give you your tags. If not, then all you need to do is pay registration fees.
Anal0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
re-animator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal0g View Post
You can take the car to get smogged at anytime, but keep in mind that it's only good for 90 days. If your registration date falls within that time frame (which it sounds like it does), you'll want to get it smogged ASAP.

What does your registration renewal notice say? If it lists that smog is required, then you'll need to get it done before they give you your tags. If not, then all you need to do is pay registration fees.
i renewed my registration most recently in May. My tags are good until May 2020. I just thought since the last smog was July 2017 that the next would have to be July 2019, but I am getting the sense that it won't have to be smogged until it comes time for NEXT registration renewal.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Anal0g

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When I'm required to get smog, my renewal looks very similar to something like:

I would've thought the same thing as you in that smog was due this year if it was last done in 2017. From DMV's website:
"When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?
The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

NOTE: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for a gasoline powered motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year) the four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner."
And...

"Starting January 1, 2019, owners of vehicles eight or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first eight registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification"
This may be why you weren't required to smog this year. Others may know more.
Anal0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
re-animator

well on the bright side maybe i won't have to re-smog till 2021... on the down side i might not know until i try to get on the phone with the california DMV which sounds like a bucket of fuck
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
AAA can give you the same info.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
The car registration for me is good until May of 2020.
Smog is good for 90 days after the date of smog.

The earliest you will get a notice to smog is when your registration for May 2020 is sent to you.

In the rare case that you don't get the notice, pay the fees before your registration expires. If you need smog, your sticker will be withheld until you smog. If you don't need smog, you will be sent your sticker.

Long story short, don't do anything until April 2020. If you smog now it's a waste of your money.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
re-animator

Thought I would let you all know i just got off the phone with the DMV, they are saying my smog is next due at registration time for me in may of 2020 (2 years after the transfer of ownership smog) and i will be on a 2 year cycle after that point. They also said that for a 2013 there is a 6 year smog abatement period, not 8 years like new cars sold today.