follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #29
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,021 Posts
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
An oil cooler is highly recommended
..... if tracking the car. Really isn't needed for a DD IMO.

Litchfield Springs / Abbey MS Geo
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltown View Post
OEM oil cooler? i didnt know stock 86 had that? do you know what your temps are at? both ECT and IAT? and what did you notice with gas mileage?
It doesnít. You can use the oem forester xt oil cooler though. People just refer to it has oem oil cooler.

Not sure where ECU pulls IAT temp from but with my WMI itís at or below ambient. Before WMI it would get kind of hot after a while.

Highest oil temp Iíve seen is 219 with coolant at 204, this was on a 80+ degree day. And right after fully warming car up to 208 oil and 195 coolant and then doing 6 back to back 20-80mph pulls. Pretty much hitting 80 braking to 20 and doing it again. Was testing the cooler and wmi capabilities. Only took a few mins of casual cruising to drop back down to normal operating temps. And IAT was at or below ambient as soon as my WMI sprays. Never felt heatsoaked. I would still prefer a real oil cooler if I was tracking. But OEM has been good enough so far.

My gas mileage has always been horrible even NA. The more I mod and more power I get the more fun it is to drive fast and WOT and avg mpg goes down. Stock I was avg 28, after full bolt ons I was at 23, and now Iím at 19. If i tried I could get 25+ mpg. FI doesnít hurt gas mileage much. Besides the fact youíll want to do pulls way more often. Centrifugal sc would probably get slightly better gas mileage. Maybe 25 vs 26-27. Not much.
86TOYO2k17 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
ltown (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #31
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
..... if tracking the car. Really isn't needed for a DD IMO.
Atleast oem cooler, Its cheap insurance for added reliability. Warms oil up about 1 minute quicker. Keeps temps about 5 degrees lower under hard driving. And lowers temps back to normal quicker.
86TOYO2k17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #32
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Atleast oem cooler, Its cheap insurance for added reliability. Warms oil up about 1 minute quicker. Keeps temps about 5 degrees lower under hard driving. And lowers temps back to normal quicker.
You got stop defending this kit. Present ppl the facts and move on. People will ultimately make there own decision and if they do not do all the correct research they will pay the price. I really enjoy this kit for what it is but it's not right for everyone. At retail or close to it there are much better kits if the user does not need to worry about carb.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Tomei UEL with Stock FP and MXP SP CB
Upgraded Brake Pads Stock Rotors with Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 FS Indy Hawks 225/45/17
Sprintek 210 IC + FF + Tuned by Mike @ Xero Limit
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #33
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,477 Times in 1,920 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Driving fast on the street isn't really like driving fast on the track, unless you're utterly insane. Unless you're in Vegas or similar, an oil cooler is probably overkill. On the track, it's a must and then some. FI on track needs an air/oil cooler, not the Forester weak thing, plus a bigger radiator, heat coating for header, hood vents, and ducting. Track is nothing like the street.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #34
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Let me offer this perspective -- Take it for what it's worth.

I've been boosted with an Innovate 210 w/ 72.5mm pulley, non-intercooled on E85 (flexfuel) for 25k miles now on a 2013 brz, with stock injectors/fuel pump.

I bought my kit used, had it shipped halfway across the country (CA to IN), installed it myself, worked with moto-east on an E-tune, and have had zero issues since install. The kit produces modest high-end, but strong low-end, consistent power (~280whp with my setup) with no complications. It totally transforms the engine, especially for daily driving where the low torque is useful. I don't experience heat soak in Indiana, even when I bang on it (although I don't take it to the track). I don't worry about blowing my engine, and my stock clutch is holding fine, even at 60k miles. The whine is incredible -- so much so, that I moved back to the stock muffler, as I have no need to attract extra attention with exhaust noise. With the stock intake the whine is modest, but a short-ram intake (specifically the one designed by moto-east, who has a huge amount of experience tuning this kit) really brings up the volume and makes it stand out from the crowd.

My TOTAL investment in boost sits right around $2650 ($2000 for the kit, $250 for tune, $400 for flex fuel). In my opinion, this kit is the best bang for the buck if you want to have a bit of fun on the street, and don't care about winning some power competition (with people you've never met, and probably won't see again). All of those who say 'innovate is old tech, it has heat problems, etc' need to weigh their recommendations against the investment cost -- Yes, there are better options than the innovate/sprintex, but depending on your goals, it could easily be the best bet for the money.

Also -- nothing else on the market brings out the whine like the sprintex. The other roots-blower options are nearly silent in comparison.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #35
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Let me offer this perspective -- Take it for what it's worth.

I've been boosted with an Innovate 210 w/ 72.5mm pulley, non-intercooled on E85 (flexfuel) for 25k miles now on a 2013 brz, with stock injectors/fuel pump.

I bought my kit used, had it shipped halfway across the country (CA to IN), installed it myself, worked with moto-east on an E-tune, and have had zero issues since install. The kit produces modest high-end, but strong low-end, consistent power (~280whp with my setup) with no complications. It totally transforms the engine, especially for daily driving where the low torque is useful. I don't experience heat soak in Indiana, even when I bang on it (although I don't take it to the track). I don't worry about blowing my engine, and my stock clutch is holding fine, even at 60k miles. The whine is incredible -- so much so, that I moved back to the stock muffler, as I have no need to attract extra attention with exhaust noise. With the stock intake the whine is modest, but a short-ram intake (specifically the one designed by moto-east, who has a huge amount of experience tuning this kit) really brings up the volume and makes it stand out from the crowd.

My TOTAL investment in boost sits right around $2650 ($2000 for the kit, $250 for tune, $400 for flex fuel). In my opinion, this kit is the best bang for the buck if you want to have a bit of fun on the street, and don't care about winning some power competition (with people you've never met, and probably won't see again). All of those who say 'innovate is old tech, it has heat problems, etc' need to weigh their recommendations against the investment cost -- Yes, there are better options than the innovate/sprintex, but depending on your goals, it could easily be the best bet for the money.

Also -- nothing else on the market brings out the whine like the sprintex. The other roots-blower options are nearly silent in comparison.
That wine for sure. And we'll put. Used this kit offers really good bang for your buck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Tomei UEL with Stock FP and MXP SP CB
Upgraded Brake Pads Stock Rotors with Motul 600 Fluid
Koing Hypergram 17x8 ET40 FS Indy Hawks 225/45/17
Sprintek 210 IC + FF + Tuned by Mike @ Xero Limit
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote