follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #3333
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey8748 View Post
Roof? Maybe not. Hood I don't see it. Seems withing the spirit. No real benefit to anything other than hood temperatures. I say if the finished product isn't lighter than the oem hood and it serves no other purpose than evacuating heat from the engine bay then what's the problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
For some cars there could be an aero benefit. Also, lower temps = more power, especially with boost...

Same argument I hear about wings and splitters (not going fast enough to matter) and even interior removal (its free, everyone should be allowed)

They have other classes for that. It's allowed. Just not in STX.
strat61caster (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #3334
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Roof? Maybe not. Hood I don't see it. Seems withing the spirit. No real benefit to anything other than hood temperatures. I say if the finished product isn't lighter than the oem hood and it serves no other purpose than evacuating heat from the engine bay then what's the problem.

I think "cutting holes" in things is the key phrase. It is very much not in the "spirit of the class", imo.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #3335
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
3.2 BODYWORK

A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights

- - - - >and other appearance, comfort and

convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/

or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are per-

mitted.<-----------

This does not allow driver’s seat substitutions, or the removal of

“tow hooks” or “tie-down loops.” Delayed shutdown devices such as the

“Turbo Timer,” which perform no function while the car is in motion, are

permitted. This does permit the installation of an additional mirror (e.g.,

Wink), but does not allow the removal of the original mirror.

Does this section not cover what I want. Appearance and convenience dosent reduce the weight or effect performance or handling?

jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #3336
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Appearance and convenience dosent reduce the weight or effect performance or handling?
Engine bays are typically high pressure aerodynamic zones creating a 'cushion' of thermal stability, venting it could reduce engine bay pressure allowing the car to 'suck down' which would be an aerodynamic benefit not permitted in Street/Street Touring.

Hood vents are a key part to the design of this kit:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115909

And who's to say it doesn't offer a benefit without other visual modifications?
National level autox is definitely fast enough to benefit from aero modifications. If there's any perception that it becomes a 'must have' mod that decreases streetability it doesn't fit the 'spirit of the class' imo.

There is also the fact which you have mentioned that it's there to lower engine bay temperatures which is absolutely a performance enhancement for anyone running autox in hot weather as these engines do pull timing when heat soaked.

Just go ahead and run it locally, unless you're beating everyone by a significant margin and there's some sour grapes nobody will care. No point in trying to prove to a bunch of internet nobodies it's legal - it isn't. Worst case scenario someone gets mad, you apologize, show up next event in prepared class/SM or with a mismatched stock hood and beat them anyway.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cjd (06-05-2018), jbailey8748 (06-05-2018), JohnJuan (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #3337
jbailey8748

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ
Garage
You misunderstand, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I am just trying to understand the rules mo better your explanation does that for me perfectly, thank you.

jbailey8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbailey8748 For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (06-05-2018), strat61caster (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #3338
cjd

Garage
Also remember the goal is a single set of rules for everyone, not for each car.
strat61caster (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #3339
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You misunderstand, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I am just trying to understand the rules mo better your explanation does that for me perfectly, thank you.

strat61caster makes a really good point too. If you are only running locally, like I am, a couple things that aren't strictly within the rules will probably not bother anyone, especially if you aren't winning by excessive margins. I started by askoing others in my class if what I had done bothered them, and nobody cared.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #3340
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Good attitudes go a long way.

strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jbailey8748 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #3341
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been searching through this thread and can't find anything for what pressures people are using for rivals. I've been using 31/28 lately and the car feels too vague. I'm thinking about trying something like 35/31 but I don't have much opportunity to test before Bristol in July. Any recommendations for good pressures to try?
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #3342
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
I've been searching through this thread and can't find anything for what pressures people are using for rivals. I've been using 31/28 lately and the car feels too vague. I'm thinking about trying something like 35/31 but I don't have much opportunity to test before Bristol in July. Any recommendations for good pressures to try?
I liked 28 square on concrete but didn't experiment, I had a lot of other stuff going on. Temps in the 50s, might have snuck into lower 60s.

Asphalt I run even lower, usually start at 26.

I may be way off base...
Old 06-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #3343
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I liked 28 square on concrete but didn't experiment, I had a lot of other stuff going on. Temps in the 50s, might have snuck into lower 60s.

Asphalt I run even lower, usually start at 26.

I may be way off base...
You're not way off base.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
cjd (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #3344
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
28 square is what I run with HoosierStones, I ran Rivals for the first time 2psi higher in hoping for better steering response. Did it work? Not sure, need to toy with it more.

On another note I was initially running -3.0 front camber then quickly realized that’s NOT enough. I cranked it up to -3.5 and it was noticeably better but I think I’m still a little short of the amount of front camber I really need. I’m hoping to test out close to -4.0 front camber next weekend.

From the feedback I’ve been given from multi sources it seems the Rivals are more camber sensitive, they need more than the RE71’s...
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #3345
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Introducing myself. I ran STX for 5-6 years in my 2002 WRX (I had started what became the definitive STX setup thread over on NASIOC). Won a few STX titles (locally only) before I quit autocross for ~5 years. I was burned by the STX rule changes in the past (specifically the 265 tire allowance for RWD that dethroned the 2.0L WRX from its title as "the car to have" for STX, and later the inclusion of the newer 2.5L WRX models into STX. So I'm wary of rule changes burning me again.

With that said, I'm building the BRZ for me. I have an end vision in mind, and that will be in SM class, where I'll probably lose every event but at least the car will be fun. Along the way, though, I would like to build the car to be reasonably competitive in STX, and maybe I'll stick around in the class if I like the way the car drives. Once I got my BRZ I got back into autocross (casually) and ran CS with literally no setup other than RE71Rs (not even an alignment lol).

Finally decided to move the BRZ to STX. Looking for some general setup advice. Will be running RS4s in 255/40, unless you can convince me otherwise. Know it's not the faster tire, but didn't like the wear on my RE71Rs, and with this being a semi-daily driver, wanted better wear. Also will be likely doing a few track days this summer or next, and I know the RS4s will survive that better.

1. I will have FA500 coilovers w/ custom rates to start with, with SPC control arms in the rear. Saw some recent conversation on this but wanted to check: If I lower ~1" to 1.5" in the rear, can I achieve 0 toe with the OEM toe arms? My end goal for camber in the rear will be -2 to -2.5 degrees. I know that lowering the car adds camber, but if I dial it out with the LCA I believe it will add toe out correct? I'm only familiar with mcpherson strut suspensions so any help here is appreciated. So maybe running more camber will be beneficial for getting 0 toe in the rear with the OE arms?

2. Fronts I will run the FA camber plates with an OEM crash bolt in the top hole. Hoping for -3 camber but would love more (around -3.5?). Any thoughts as to if this is possible? Maybe I should consider a different (eccentric) camber bolt? I seem to recall running 2 camber bolts up front in my WRX without camber plates, but I couldn't remember if you could run camber plates + 2 camber bolts or not.

3. Could you elaborate more on what you found here regarding the axle issues?
Quote:
I am 3/4" lower rear and 1" front. And don't have that bad of a time. Might have gone lower but research told me that 1" and lower in the rear causes axle problems

Really sorry for the long post. Brevity is not in my skillset. The main goal of this post is to avoid multiple trips to the alignment shop - trying to get it right the first time (don't want to find out I need more parts or need to change ride height at the shop).
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #3346
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslate3 View Post
28 square is what I run with HoosierStones, I ran Rivals for the first time 2psi higher in hoping for better steering response. Did it work? Not sure, need to toy with it more.

On another note I was initially running -3.0 front camber then quickly realized that’s NOT enough. I cranked it up to -3.5 and it was noticeably better but I think I’m still a little short of the amount of front camber I really need. I’m hoping to test out close to -4.0 front camber next weekend.

From the feedback I’ve been given from multi sources it seems the Rivals are more camber sensitive, they need more than the RE71’s...

People run -4+ camber and I still don’t understand why.

It’s all not simply about ideal camber wear. Just IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote