follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throttle Delay Fix.

I have searched and searched, but there doesn't seem to be too much information on fixing the slight delay between pushing in the gas pedal and the engine revving. Occasionally I find myself yearning for my old 240's instant response.

I have a K&N filter, Gruppe-s UEL header and the Openflash Tablet with OTS stage 2. Is there anything I could do to eliminate or lessen throttle delay?

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

And yes, I am aware that there are limitations to throttle by wire but any additional insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Pedal dance. Cut the vehicle stability system out of the circuit. It's my pet peeve so I'm the guy that does it even in stop&go traffic.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #4
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

Does holding down the traction control button help? I tend to drive with the sport setting, but never really compared it to traction off.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
VSC traction buttons only effect the stability control setting does not effect throttle response

log the tune make sure you ltft are fairly low at lower rpm like 5% or so also log when you jump on the throttle at lower rpm see if it bogs, you may need to either adjust load limits or lean out the low rpm/high load are of the ol fuel table

check your iam=1 and for any significant knock flkc or fbkc when you open throttle agressivly, knock correction and low iam will dull throttle response

as will running too rich
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Guff (02-07-2017), SubieRumble (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieRumble View Post
Does holding down the traction control button help? I tend to drive with the sport setting, but never really compared it to traction off.
No. Holding down traction control does not reduce the latency or whatever the hell it does. It still processes the accelerometer, wheel sensor, steering wheel position... all those inputs.

Pedal dance.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
VSC traction buttons only effect the stability control setting does not effect throttle response
I'd be keen on figuring out a way to prove (or disprove) it but I still swear that shit interferes with my right foot during normal operation.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:56 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'd be keen on figuring out a way to prove (or disprove) it but I still swear that shit interferes with my right foot during normal operation.

It will reduce throttle if loss of traction stability etc is detected. You can see it in logs if you log throttle pedal position vs throttle plate.

But im pretty sure it does not switch in a separate throttle map like in some subbies with the sport/sport sharp.

but yes to be 100% you would have to wade through the code.

ecutek do have features to remap throttle but this is extra ecutek racrom code not in stock code
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
SubieRumble (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like an E-Tune is in my future(not too keen on messing with tunes myself.)
Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
It will reduce throttle if loss of traction stability etc is detected. You can see it in logs if you log throttle pedal position vs throttle plate.

But im pretty sure it does not switch in a separate throttle map like in some subbies with the sport/sport sharp.

but yes to be 100% you would have to wade through the code.

ecutek do have features to remap throttle but this is extra ecutek racrom code not in stock code
It pulls throttle, or to be more accurate, feeds throttle more gradually if applied mid-turn. This is even before any loss-of-traction event is detected AND even if TCS is disabled via the button. I've picked out a specific corner and tested this enough to convince myself but I don't have hard numbers.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Time for a standalone ECU!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
How the ECU reads tables, effects how it reacts to inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieRumble View Post
I have searched and searched, but there doesn't seem to be too much information on fixing the slight delay between pushing in the gas pedal and the engine revving. Occasionally I find myself yearning for my old 240's instant response.

I have a K&N filter, Gruppe-s UEL header and the Openflash Tablet with OTS stage 2. Is there anything I could do to eliminate or lessen throttle delay?

Thanks.
The resident man of knowledge about these ECU's had this to tell me about the DBW tables;
"Well, the basics are 3 sets of tables - requested torque base, which is effectively a denominator that is used in conjunction with the requested torque A/B/C tables (which are different SI Drive modes) which feeds into the target throttle opening table.

In a nutshell, the requested torque at a specific RPM and accel pedal opening is divided by the relevant number in the base table to give you a ratio (e.g. 200 divided by 250 in the base table). This then gives you a ratio, that is the axis of the target throttle angle tables.

These tables can be tweaked for a more or less linear feel to the pedal - i.e. you can have it got WOT with very little pedal action (the stock approach) - which feels more 'peppy' but is less linear - or you can even it out to have a more 1 to 1 feel (i.e. 50% accel pedal equals 50% throttle). "

In my research about changing the DBW tables I found out that the ECU reads from right to left, so tables that have "filler" columns, (columns essentially the same as the column next to them) on the right side of the table will cause the ECU to react slower, than tables with the "filler" columns on the left side.

This is part of the reason there is a delay after throttle input. The solution, get a tune.

SubieRumble (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
The resident man of knowledge about these ECU's had this to tell me about the DBW tables;
"Well, the basics are 3 sets of tables - requested torque base, which is effectively a denominator that is used in conjunction with the requested torque A/B/C tables (which are different SI Drive modes) which feeds into the target throttle opening table.

In a nutshell, the requested torque at a specific RPM and accel pedal opening is divided by the relevant number in the base table to give you a ratio (e.g. 200 divided by 250 in the base table). This then gives you a ratio, that is the axis of the target throttle angle tables.

These tables can be tweaked for a more or less linear feel to the pedal - i.e. you can have it got WOT with very little pedal action (the stock approach) - which feels more 'peppy' but is less linear - or you can even it out to have a more 1 to 1 feel (i.e. 50% accel pedal equals 50% throttle). "

In my research about changing the DBW tables I found out that the ECU reads from right to left, so tables that have "filler" columns, (columns essentially the same as the column next to them) on the right side of the table will cause the ECU to react slower, than tables with the "filler" columns on the left side.

This is part of the reason there is a delay after throttle input. The solution, get a tune.

Is that delay of reading columns measurable in logs?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Is that delay of reading columns measurable in logs?
It would be, if that was the only thing changed. But, since anyone who is modifying those tables would be changing a lot more, it's not really something that is done , if you know what I mean. The throttle could be made super-responsive, but it would be the cause of other problems. Drive-ability for one. There are also multiple types of delay. The delay from idle to acceleration is one. The delay from slow acceleration to fast is another. Which delay is bothering you the most?
EAGLE5 (02-07-2017), SubieRumble (02-07-2017)