follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Bigmaxy

Drives: Pegasus GTS86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Asking the question that I already know the answer to. Are the engines the same?

Was ordering some parts at the local Subaru spare parts dealer and got talking. Parts guy asked what my DD was and I got around to saying I had an 86 on order and that the BRZ had a longer wait list so went with the Toyota.

He said that the BRZ had a forged bottom end. I replied that it was not the case.

He called the factory trained guy over who confirmed that he had been told at the training that the Subaru BRZ had a forged bottom end which the Toyota did not. This would be to handle the STI forced induction that would come.
He also stated that this was why all the tuners were developing turbo kits on the Subaru models.

Just told him I thought he was wrong but it's been bugging me. I don't like to give out wrong information and don't like it when others do either.

So.......Am I wrong or is he? I don't have a problem admitting when I am incorrect. :happy0180:
Bigmaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I believe that is all bull
No one in a dealership will have a damn clue of what's to come .. Most of these dealerships didn't even know anything about the FRS/BRZ until they got their hands on one ..

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Factory trained guy? Trained in being stupid I suppose.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The first sales guy I talked to said they hard parts in stock that could be installed before delivery that would bring the hp up to 300... I wouldn't trust what most dealership people tell you, most can be way out to lunch.

The first clue that he's wrong is that most people haven't been developing turbo kits on just BRZ's, it's split pretty evenly between the models.

It is possible that some of the stock internals are forged, but they would be identical regardless of what badge the car wears.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaxy View Post
Was ordering some parts at the local Subaru spare parts dealer and got talking. Parts guy asked what my DD was and I got around to saying I had an 86 on order and that the BRZ had a longer wait list so went with the Toyota.

He said that the BRZ had a forged bottom end. I replied that it was not the case.

He called the factory trained guy over who confirmed that he had been told at the training that the Subaru BRZ had a forged bottom end which the Toyota did not. This would be to handle the STI forced induction that would come.
He also stated that this was why all the tuners were developing turbo kits on the Subaru models.

Just told him I thought he was wrong but it's been bugging me. I don't like to give out wrong information and don't like it when others do either.

So.......Am I wrong or is he? I don't have a problem admitting when I am incorrect. :happy0180:
Had a good chat with my local Subaru dealer parts guy today when I bought an oil filter. Subaru Australia don't have much of an idea what's going on yet. The parts guys only have listings on consumables like belts and filters etc. He also asked me how many parts were interchangeable between the two...
As it happens my 86 has a different oilfilter to the batch of BRZs delivered to Aus. Apparently after a certain engine number the filter swaps from a 15208AA130 to a 15208AA160. But this has to do with when it was produced rather than whether its a Subaru or Toyota badged car.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Never put much stock into anything a dealer/mechanic/sales/parts guy says - the dealers in most cases are no more in the loop than anybody else. Sadly, there is no actual direct line of insider information that they have - their sources of information are the same as ours. Hell, our Japanese office is a Subaru Dealer in Japan, but we get no real information out of the dealer. Most of our advance info comes from other sources.

And to answer the question, absolutely no difference between the motors - or the rest of the drivetrain for that matter. Same engines come off the same line.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
Bigmaxy (11-30-2012), ngabdala (11-30-2012), Turdinator (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
Never put much stock into anything a dealer/mechanic/sales/parts guy says - the dealers in most cases are no more in the loop than anybody else.
I know most of them are pretty awful but there are some good ones out there, i've got some awards to prove it.

Oh and please don't group salesmen in with the rest of us, they are so freaking stupid sometimes.

Last edited by JoeBoxer; 11-30-2012 at 01:17 AM.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Always remember the *majority* see you as just a sales number.

There are *some* dealerships that employ auto enthusiasts. Those are the places your best chance of not having your warranty voided due to a forced induction upgrade.