follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
only til about 4-5k but once youre there why not take it all the way
ďThis isnít a supercar, itís a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, thatís my point. Iím not driving around in this for other peopleís benefit. Iím driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!Ē
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
lol... I'm used to a v6 and a v8 so it was definitely a "culture shock" when I realized I can't drive this car the same. But when I think about the S2000, this car has way more low-end torque to help it move along. So it's not that bad compared to the really peaky honda motors.
Yep. I agree. I own both the BRZ and the S2000.

Basically, these characteristics are common to small displacement, high specific output engines. They tend to behave like racing engines, only delivering fun performance well up into the rev range. You almost have to drive them like your mad at 'em when you want to go faster.

The BRZ is less of a Jekyl and Hyde car than is my S2000. They're both fun, but not everyone's "cup o' tea."

My wife went out for a BRZ test drive with the salesman without me, returned and said that it was the most FUN car she'd ever driven, and that it's SLOW.

I'll leave you folks wondering about buying this car ... to ponder that.

Your right foot will quickly find the firewall, and you'll think, "Wait. What?, That's IT?!"

But it's FUN!
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
autobrz (06-25-2013), M-17 (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The funny thing is that for all this talk of "just keep it spun up," the car actually makes a lot of its peak torque output at low revs. It's true that you have to wring it out to accelerate at all quickly, but its more a matter of holding gears than getting into some high-end powerband if you ask me. It's not like a Lotus or Honda where you hit a second cam up there and suddenly the car just takes off.

But yeah, as others have said, it's kind of fun just screaming around near redline with your foot perpetually on the floor
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,746 Times in 916 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
The funny thing is that for all this talk of "just keep it spun up," the car actually makes a lot of its peak torque output at low revs. It's true that you have to wring it out to accelerate at all quickly, but its more a matter of holding gears than getting into some high-end powerband if you ask me. It's not like a Lotus or Honda where you hit a second cam up there and suddenly the car just takes off.
It doesn't matter when it makes peak torque if the amount is pathetic.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
STV3
SeŮor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,319 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've had my FR-S for two weeks today and coming from a Big turbo SRT-4 (still have it) with a little over 400whp. Its a whole other world with the lack of power in the FR-S but what it lacks in power I feel it makes up for in handling and overall feel. This car is so much more fun to drive, especially on twisty roads, and it actually feels like I'm in a sports car. In the SRT it feels like I'm in an over powered econobox due to the fact that well.... thats exactly what it is lol. I do love the good amount of low end torque though that the FR-S has compared to my Neon. No need for downshifting when approaching hills. Also between the coilovers, solid motor mounts, and 3 inch turbo back exhaust I just really got sick of driving the SRT every day.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I deleted the intake resonator hose today. Big difference in cabin engine sound and how I feel about wringing out the motor. Now 4-5k rpms sound very smooth, quiet and pleasing to the ear, nothing like the horrible rice noises the intake resonator produced. 7k rpms still sounds like the brz is angry or a little stressed but that's about normal in any car.
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
Red2Liter

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited, Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
BRZ Sound

Quote:
I feel like the reason why I feel like the brz is really really slow is because I'm used to driving cars that make more torque and peak power at lower rpms. I probably just need to use more throttle (because mine is auto) to get more power out of the FA20.

The annoying thing is the intake resonator makes the cabin pretty loud at high rpms. It's discouraging me from going to the high revs. I gotta plug that up, soon!
I found I could plug the sound tube where it enters the passenger side firewall, but the best fix was installing the TRD CAI. That removes the sound tube, increases the air filter area and CAI volume and then you can hear the "real" engine sounds. Small increases in HP & Torque, plus more linear throttle.
Red2Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
7k rpms still sounds like the brz is angry or a little stressed but that's about normal in any car.
Of course it sounds angry, it's pissed because everyone says it's slow.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
typericey
WRX to BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anybody recommend a DIY sound tube delete wherein you just plug the firewall hole and the intake tube hole so you can remove the sound tube while keeping all else untouched?
typericey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #38
autobrz

I went to autozone to get a rubber plug for the firewall side and used a 1" pvc fitting to plug the intake side. I need to paint the PVC black to match the rest of the engine bay.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
Shim
Dismember

Drives: FR-S & JSW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can plug in sound tube for between $0.00 and $0.65. It is completely reversible and very easy.

DIY: Simple Sound Tube Switching "on/off":
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=tube+plug
autobrz (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
autobrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim View Post
You can plug in sound tube for between $0.00 and $0.65. It is completely reversible and very easy.

DIY: Simple Sound Tube Switching "on/off":
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=tube+plug

This is a much better solution that keeps the engine bay looking completely stock. How did I miss this, lol... Going to undo my sound tube delete and just plug it.

Tags
crimony, dry intercourse