follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
Dadajair

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thermal Barrier Coating Ceramic Coating for Exhaust and More

Hey guys just wanted to put the word out there for anyone interested in exhaust heat management for their ride. My shop here in San Diego offers this service your your headers ,turbo casing , and anything else you may want to get ceramic coating.

Thermal barrier ceramic coatings are becoming more common in automotive applications. They are specifically designed to reduce heat loss from engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, turbocharger casings, exhaust headers, downpipes and tailpipes. This process is also known as "exhaust heat management". When used under-bonnet, these have the positive effect of reducing engine bay temperatures, therefore reducing the intake air temperature.

Although most ceramic coatings are applied to metallic parts directly related to the engine exhaust system, technological advances now allow thermal barrier coatings to be applied via plasma spray onto composite materials. It is now commonplace to find ceramic-coated components in modern engines and on high-performance components in race series such as Formula 1. As well as providing thermal protection, these coatings are also used to prevent physical degradation of the composite material due to friction. This is possible because the ceramic material bonds with the composite (instead of merely sticking on the surface with paint), thereby forming a tough coating that doesn't chip or flake easily.

Although thermal barrier coatings have been applied to the insides of exhaust system components, problems have been encountered because of the difficulty in preparing the internal surface prior to coating.
Dadajair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadajair For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
where are you located and name of shop? I do need to get my turbo coated.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Dadajair

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiv View Post
where are you located and name of shop? I do need to get my turbo coated.
Mission valley area, Called Flame Spray Inc. I'm the thermal spray lab tech . I do the destructive testing and microanalysis.
Dadajair is offline   Reply With Quote