follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #547
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had my car for 3.5 years now and have had two timing covers resealed due to leaks but fortunately had the warranty fix it. I wanted to keep the car long term but with the recurring leaks, it's had me worried. So I went ahead the past two weeks to check out some replacement cars.

THe first one was a 2010 Lexus IS F. Figured it's a Lexus so it'd be bullet proof, the V8 would be nice, might as well get one before they're gone forever. Unfortunately Carmax only let me make right turns during the test drive. Thought it was a joke until I suggested taking this one curvy street nearby and was denied lol. The only left turn I made was to turn back into the parking lot lol. Didn't care too much since I already determined the seats were too high, and just plain uncomfortable.

Then tried a 2014 Lexus GS 350 F Sport. The guy here let me drive it how I wanted to and I thoroughly enjoyed the car. The seating position and comfort were perfect, for a sedan. The handling was great. Very luxurious for my tastes. But ultimately when I parked it next to my car to compare the size, it was very boat like. But I figured I'd be able to get used to it. Was considering purchasing this one until I wanted to look into a maybe a "mid life crisis" car, The M2.

So the M2's wait list is over a year and they're going over MSRP. Read about the M2 vs the M240i and the consensus was that the M2 is definitely worth the $5k over the M240i if comparing MSRP, but since I can't I figured I would try the M240i. Just came back from the dealership and was underwhelmed. Most likely because they didn't have a manual. The 8speed auto was fast, but I didn't like it. It made me a lazy driver. And if I want to be lazy, I'd go for the GS 350 above. In comfort mode, the transmission wasn't smooth. In sport, it'd be too jerky still. The steering wasn't heavy like the BRZ as well. Making turns in the parking lot was tiresome from the length of the turns. There was also no feedback in the steering wheel, zero! I took the same test drive route with the BRZ and that sealed it for me, I'm keeping the BRZ.

Now I may consider going back to an L certified GS 350 F Sport in a year or two, if I'm in a relationship but anything above $40k for my budget, that's where the diminishing returns cap at. For a sports car, I don't think I'd spend anything over what the BRZ costs. For a luxury sedan, I wouldn't want to spend over $40k for something that I couldn't have both sportiness and luxury.

I just feel guilty trying to get rid of my BRZ. I didn't test drive many cars in the past before getting it, but after driving a few others, it's truly something special. I just wish I don't have any more issues with it! :P
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-20-2016), new2subaru (10-07-2016), Quentin (10-08-2016), radroach (10-10-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #548
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Over 2 years on now, and I still have not tired of the sound. It's intoxicating.

I've literally had guys with 4-figure titanium exhaust systems say that my car sounds better. LOL
That's the thing I am uncertain about. I love the idea of getting something inexpensive, but I want sound that surrounds you. I would prefer a full header-back system. Except the cost. Man, the cost. Probably make a decision after Toyota reveals the Supra and we find out the price range.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #549
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
That's the thing I am uncertain about. I love the idea of getting something inexpensive, but I want sound that surrounds you. I would prefer a full header-back system. Except the cost. Man, the cost. Probably make a decision after Toyota reveals the Supra and we find out the price range.
It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.

I've heard some header-back systems that are simply TOO loud for my taste. I want noise, but I don't want hate-mail from my neighbours, and I drive a lot, so TOO loud can start to get tiring. I used to have an FC RX-7 turbo with full turbo-back and all emissions BS removed (as it was an '87 and never needed another e-test again). It was LOUD AS FUCK. I liked it for about a week before it simply became too much.

The track pipe was an easy, relatively inexpensive way to get the level of sound I wanted, without A) going broke and B) going deaf. It's loud when I want it to be, but I can keep it at low RPM's if I'm creeping home late at night and it's almost whisper-quiet.

The only thing I kinda hate is the single-exit look, but I might pony up soon and get a dual-exit track pipe which will keep the sound levels the same but complete the look.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #550
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
These cars are small, light, and inexpensive. But for the most part, they're solid and somewhat loaded (BRZ). I think the overall switchgear is well done, ergos/seating is exceptional, handling - no brainer, power - almost great if you're willing to work for it, and somehow this small car doesn't feel so small on the inside.

The only time mine 'feels' cheap is when I hear road pebbles tinking about around the arse end, and I think that is what makes the right exhaust so difficult to sort out.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geezerbrzeezer For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (10-12-2016), Tcoat (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 AM   #551
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.

I've heard some header-back systems that are simply TOO loud for my taste. I want noise, but I don't want hate-mail from my neighbours, and I drive a lot, so TOO loud can start to get tiring. I used to have an FC RX-7 turbo with full turbo-back and all emissions BS removed (as it was an '87 and never needed another e-test again). It was LOUD AS FUCK. I liked it for about a week before it simply became too much.

The track pipe was an easy, relatively inexpensive way to get the level of sound I wanted, without A) going broke and B) going deaf. It's loud when I want it to be, but I can keep it at low RPM's if I'm creeping home late at night and it's almost whisper-quiet.

The only thing I kinda hate is the single-exit look, but I might pony up soon and get a dual-exit track pipe which will keep the sound levels the same but complete the look.
This is where some miss the difference between loud and tone. You can have great sound without being loud and you can have loud that sounds like shit. I personally prefer a great tone over pure volume. And the TRD delivers perfectly for that.
skye67 (10-09-2016), soulreapersteve (10-12-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 AM   #552
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Recently pulled into hotel with a header and a two and a half inch resonated Perrin catback on my car. Meet this guy who refurbished old V8 muscle cars and commented how well it sounded. Yes! I would like it loud as in a Formula 1 car but with this setup, everyone can live with it.
Tcoat (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:14 AM   #553
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
Recently pulled into hotel with a header and a two and a half inch resonated Perrin catback on my car. Meet this guy who refurbished old V8 muscle cars and commented how well it sounded. Yes! I would like it loud as in a Formula 1 car but with this setup, everyone can live with it.
Exactly
Old 10-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #554
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This car to me is like one of those cars I plan to keep for plenty of years like someone who owns a Supra or FD RX7 did. I love it that much even though it's not the fastest car out there. I also got my first ticket in it which pissed me off but if it was something faster the ticket could've been worse and possibly land me in jail.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #555
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Its been just over a year (literally 1 year 9 days) since I got my AT '16 FRS.

I am 9/10 satisfied today. The transmission is really good for what it is, the chassis is great, I love the sound of the FA20, and tbh this is the fastest car I've ever owned/driven. I had looked into other cars like mustang, gen coupe, 370, camaro, etc etc etc, but despite all of these cars having great looks, they didnt captivate me like the FRS. Although the mentioned cars are considerably faster, I didnt quite enjoy them like the FRS either. They were all excellent cars with great value (even though some may disagree), but driving the FRS simply felt better, more confidence inspiring than the others. Going fast in a straight line, and having alot of power and torque for passing is undoubtly fun, but having driven cars with somewhere near 100hp all my life, I didnt feel the need for more power.

Anyways, essentially, I'd like to keep my car for a long time if possible because I've always wanted this car ever since the rumors of its concept started to surface (kinda like a dream car that I can actually afford). Though there are plenty of mods that I want to jump right into I'm resisting with all my might because student life can be financially burdening.

The -1 point is really not the fault of the car itself. Due to my current circumstances, I had to get the car in AT. If it had been in MT, it would've been 10/10. Just to clarify though, I'm very much content with AT, but getting the car in MT would've been the absolute best case scenario. This situation will probably be remedied sometime in the future when FRS/BRZ prices get really low in the used car market. I checked out the new 86 and considered trading in, but the cost difference simply made no sense as I'd be paying 15k difference after all is said and done (my car has 33000km). For that price I'm pretty sure I can find a used one....

So tl;dr ver.: I love the car & will keep it forever, cant wait to actually have enough money to do everything I want, will buy used MT FRS/BRZ sometime in the future and make my FRS/BRZ Satisfaction rating 10/10

Last edited by Train; 10-10-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Train For This Useful Post:
jcz (10-10-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #556
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
My '13 FR-S just gets better the more miles I put on it. At first, I would characterize the engine as somewhat "gritty" and slow to rev, especially as I came from 25 years of driving nothing but Hondas.

But as the miles have added up (33K now), it seems to have limbered up quite a bit, and I find myself smiling even more than ever during my daily commute. And structurally, it's just as solid as the day I bought it. No squeaks or rattles, just the ever present road noise from the lack of sound deadening. Even the popping noise from the rear deck quit within 9 months or so.

I about at the end of the stock Primacies, and I'm anxious to see what a set of 225/40 PSS does for the handling and road noise.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #557
Import_Lexus

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked up a new 16 recently and love it everyday. Mine is 100% stock and will probably stay like that.
Import_Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Import_Lexus For This Useful Post:
jcz (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #558
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Import_Lexus View Post
Mine is 100% stock and will probably stay like that.
A trial many men have failed ... Godspeed soldier. I certainly did.

Btw, congrats - I just rolled over 36k (at a track day no less!) and I haven't regretted a thing. Except

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PollosHermanos For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-20-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #559
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Have I posted in this thread yet? I love driving my BRZ and it provides pretty good utility as a daily, but I am not in love with the long-term cost of ownership. My car isn't even a project but I'm always thinking about the next big maintenance item that I'll need to drop cash on.

High insurance premiums, ~60k mile spark plug and clutch TOB changes, lots of TLC needed on the body panels (dents, dings, rock chips), windshield needs replacing after 60k from the rock chips, expensive oem radio that fails to boot if you don't have the included SD card.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #560
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is where some miss the difference between loud and tone. You can have great sound without being loud and you can have loud that sounds like shit. I personally prefer a great tone over pure volume. And the TRD delivers perfectly for that.
Precisely.

I have an acquaintance in Bolton who has an Invidia N1 dual on his FR-S. Not sure if he has any supporting mods (header, overpipe etc.).

I hear him rip around in town all the time and his car honestly sounds like a Honda. Lots of rasp and high-pitched noise that just doesn't sound good (in my opinion). It's buzzy. Nothing against the N1; I wouldn't personally get one just because I don't like the "fart can" look anymore, but I've heard cars with this application that sound good, so maybe it's just the way he drives or some supporting mods he has that combine to create this sound.

He's actually the one who commented that my car still sounds better than his despite the fact that he paid a G-Note for his exhaust, and I agree.

Despite the fact that ALL I have is a muffler delete (stock header, stock overpipe, everything else stock), I think my car sounds great. Nice, low, throaty, FULL sound when hammered on, pops and backfires quite often on downshifts (which I love), absolutely zero rasp or "buzz", and sounds like a boxer as opposed to a Honda. Sounds AMAZING in tunnels and parking garages.

Yes, I get some drone, and yes it's loud as fuck when I rev up to 5k and let off the throttle, but it can also purr like a kitten if I shift below 2500, so if I want to sneak around at night and keep it reasonable, it's totally possible.

The drone really doesn't bother me, having come from a history of loud car after loud car. I just came back from my 3rd cottage weekend of the year (4.5 hours one-way door to door), and the drone isn't that bad on the highway in 6th gear. Luckily my girlfriend has a history with cars as well so it doesn't bother her either.

All comes down to personal preference, I guess!

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 10-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote