follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #4873
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
If you were to draw a waterline from the battery tray towards the rear of the car, you'll see that the base of the tray is almost at the same level as the cargo compartment. Additionally, to reduce the effect of rotational inertia you'd want the mass centralized between the axles. Given your requirements, it's looking like the rear seat area (seat removed) or the passenger foot well meets your needs.
Well, the tray is at the waterline, not the batteries. But yes, you are absolutely spot on about the rear seat area. I'm looking to move some stuff exactly there and anything else to the trunk.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #4874
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Easiest way to drop 14lbs and move weight back to the center of the car is to empty the washer fluid reservoir and eat a lighter breakfast.
I knew it was inevitable that someone would troll the usual go on a diet BS so typical when they don't understand anything about weight transfer and inertia.

Next time you want your car to go fast, have Gandhi drive it for you. Same logic, or lack there of.

Sorry but you hit one of my car forum pet peeves....

Plus yours and others comments of areas of improvement are not mutually exclusive to my own. Mvoing the controller to the back w/ the pack fixes the cooling issue btw. If you want to settle for less, than that's a perfectly fine choice. When you look at development, one should consider all potential improvements, not just a few.

Plus, I said this kit is fine for those that like it as is, I said specifically that Rob should consider offering something for those that want exactly what I mentioned.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #4875
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Personally I'd rather see Rob's continued concentration on development of the aux charger, controller cooling, push-to-pass button (SPM), etc. To me, these are the features that will make the Phantom ESC even better suited to "performance" (e.g. track) usage.
Can one relocate/replace the WOT bracket (and remove the metal peice) away from the gas petal and near the steering wheel or dash and use it as a push-to-pass button? That way, I can choose when to activate it (at only one or two straights) and not have to worry about overheating the controller.

If that doesn't work. Can we move the WOT bracket away from the gas petal and use still advantage of the DR at the track without worrying about the system overheating. @waterbison777 said that when he was going WOT with the system in safe mode, it was running noticeably richer. Would the OTS Stage 1 tune work well when the using the ESC system just for DR? Or does the DR make enough difference to a stock car where a Stage 1 tune wouldn't work well for it?

I think I remember reading that Shiv's tune is based on engine load to determine when the ESC is activated (I might be wrong). Since the ESC may not be activated all the time during WOT, does this mean that a custom tune would be needed for either the push-to-pass or DR-only option?

Just throwing out ideas on how to make it work at the track, even if only sometimes. Or even not using it, but saving the need to swap back to the stock intake tube during track days.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4876
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
Guys, don't let someone else's opinion de-rail us too hard. I think he has a valid concern -- and if he has that concern the ESC in its retail form is not for him.

Nor is any other forced induction solution, except for maybe the rear mounted turbo that someone has been working on -- though I've heard it is still not quite there yet.
Thanks for understanding, I'm not criticizing the kit, just thinking out loud about my desires.

Don't think I haven't thought about the Phantom hybridized with that rear mount snail...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-30-2014), enwave (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4877
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
That said, the dual-dump setup requires you to move the starter to the back, which helps with some of what he's saying about weight. It also requires you to wire an external battery shutoff switch in most states and at most tracks.
I just don't think for my purposes (98% street, I MIGHT go to a track once or twice at some point), 15+/- pounds is going to make that much difference...

And I don't want any more of my tiny trunk taken up - the sub eats up enough of it. LOL.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-30-2014), DC2R (04-30-2014), enwave (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4878
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hit the gym, lose 14 lbs

Or do this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42284
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #4879
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
Mvoing the controller to the back w/ the pack fixes the cooling issue btw.
Isn't there also an issue of the batteries getting too cold in the winter and taking a long time to receive full benefit? I seem to recall reading that somewhere in the thread.

If so, then summertime = better in trunk and wintertime = better under hood.

But someone can comment/clarify.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
The Following User Says Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #4880
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Isn't there also an issue of the batteries getting too cold in the winter and taking a long time to receive full benefit? I seem to recall reading that somewhere in the thread.

If so, then summertime = better in trunk and wintertime = better under hood.

But someone can comment/clarify.
I did read that, that was max current dump I believe. I'm in Cali, but one could use a Subie battery warmer or something like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251509650153?lpid=82
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #4881
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
I did read that, that was max current dump I believe. I'm in Cali, but one could use a Subie battery warmer or something like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251509650153?lpid=82
Most years this area is pretty temperate - 10-15 days a year above 90F and 10-15 days a year below 30F, so I don't anticipate a lot of issues either way... but time will tell.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #4882
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
Can one relocate/replace the WOT bracket (and remove the metal peice) away from the gas petal and near the steering wheel or dash and use it as a push-to-pass button? That way, I can choose when to activate it (at only one or two straights) and not have to worry about overheating the controller.

If that doesn't work. Can we move the WOT bracket away from the gas petal and use still advantage of the DR at the track without worrying about the system overheating. @waterbison777 said that when he was going WOT with the system in safe mode, it was running noticeably richer. Would the OTS Stage 1 tune work well when the using the ESC system just for DR? Or does the DR make enough difference to a stock car where a Stage 1 tune wouldn't work well for it?

I think I remember reading that Shiv's tune is based on engine load to determine when the ESC is activated (I might be wrong). Since the ESC may not be activated all the time during WOT, does this mean that a custom tune would be needed for either the push-to-pass or DR-only option?

Just throwing out ideas on how to make it work at the track, even if only sometimes. Or even not using it, but saving the need to swap back to the stock intake tube during track days.
These are all great questions and really get to the point that even minor changes can sometimes require great efforts to execute and run reliably.

I haven't dug much into how Shiv's ESC tune works off WOT vs. using an OTS Stg map so don't feel comfortable commenting on that. I've mostly been concerned with the effects of CA91 pump gas on both NA and ESC performance.

I think the push to pass/super pursuit mode is being tested right now by another user + Rob. Don't remember whom. I also don't know if that is a hardware only test or if Shiv has provided custom software for SPM/Push to Pass. Software could definitely be in play there.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #4883
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Kinda off topic on what you are talking about but... for the guys that already had the esc kit installed, what are the major supporting mods that you've done and did they help with trq and hp?
Also, would i benefit from a mfactory 4.67 final drive conversion.

Thanks
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #4884
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
Kinda off topic on what you are talking about but... for the guys that already had the esc kit installed, what are the major supporting mods that you've done and did they help with trq and hp?
Also, would i benefit from a mfactory 4.67 final drive conversion.
One supporting mod is really a must, and that is an ECU tune. Other supporting mods (header, air filter element) have shown to help in the higher rpm range (6000 to rl). The above conversation about weight helps all cars. A set of light weight rims pays off in acceleration and turn response, and they look good.

Regarding the 4.67 rear gears, it depends on the type of performance you are after. If 0-60 and 1/4 times are your thing, then yes. But that mod comes at the expense of higher cruise rpm, wear and fuel consumption. It's not a big deal - at 70 mph you'd be turning 3,425 rpm vs 3,000 - but it is real.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #4885
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Regarding the 4.67 rear gears, it depends on the type of performance you are after. If 0-60 and 1/4 times are your thing, then yes.
If 0-60 is the/an issue... I'm not really familiar with the gear ratios on the car, but if I understand what you're saying, the 4.67 would be gearing the car lower to get out of the hole quicker.

As everyone knows, 2nd gear in the MT maxes out at 58-59mph stock - requiring a second gear change to 3rd gear to get to 60mph and increasing the 0-60 time by (guessing) a couple tenths.

I think I recall reading that tuning can be done relatively easily to raise the redline 100-200 rpm, thereby allowing 60 mph in 2nd gear.

I don't know how much switching to 4.67 gears would increase the acceleration, but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to raise the redline enough to hit 60mph in 2nd gear using a 4.67 final drive.

I suppose what I'm getting at is: If you can change the tune to hit 60mph in 2nd gear and thereby cut, say, 0.2 sec off your 0-60... but you can't do that with a 4.67 final drive, then...

Is the difference you gain in acceleration with the 4.67 final drive going to be sufficient to offset the decreased fuel mileage and wear on the engine?
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #4886
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
If 0-60 is the/an issue... I'm not really familiar with the gear ratios on the car, but if I understand what you're saying, the 4.67 would be gearing the car lower to get out of the hole quicker.

As everyone knows, 2nd gear in the MT maxes out at 58-59mph stock - requiring a second gear change to 3rd gear to get to 60mph and increasing the 0-60 time by (guessing) a couple tenths.

I think I recall reading that tuning can be done relatively easily to raise the redline 100-200 rpm, thereby allowing 60 mph in 2nd gear.

I don't know how much switching to 4.67 gears would increase the acceleration, but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to raise the redline enough to hit 60mph in 2nd gear using a 4.67 final drive.

I suppose what I'm getting at is: If you can change the tune to hit 60mph in 2nd gear and thereby cut, say, 0.2 sec off your 0-60... but you can't do that with a 4.67 final drive, then...

Is the difference you gain in acceleration with the 4.67 final drive going to be sufficient to offset the decreased fuel mileage and wear on the engine?
Modding a car directly for a 0-60 time is useless though since it is only used as a metric and provides no direct correlation between these proposed changes and track times be it the strip or circuit.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive