follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
jello

Drives: DC5R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GT brakes

Hi all

Coming from an AuDM DC5R and having had issues with non Honda mechanics getting me the wrong brake pads/rotors due to the mish mash of specifications between the JDM DC5R and USDM RSX-S, I've got some concerns about our 86 GT. Again it seems we're getting a combination of the various trims for our 2 specification levels.

The Australian GT spec has 16" wheels and smaller brakes. From what I understand this is the same as the Japanese G spec. The American FRS gets the 17" wheels and larger brakes. As does the BRZ.

I am going to assume the majority of 86/BRZ/FRS out there will have the brakes from the 17" package. So how compatible are the 16" ones? Are the pads and calipers the same? Is it just the discs that are different? Before I pull the trigger on a monkey butt red GT, I don't want my backyard mechanic to tell me a few years down the track that "the parts I bought are the wrong parts!"

For a bit of background, I've been following the progress of the 86 since the rumours on 7tune.com that Toyota was doing it on its own and taking the Echo/Yaris 2NZFE engine and turning it north south. Crazy, I know. Rumours. Looks like they were completely wrong on that.

TL/DR:
What are the part numbers for the AuDM GT (JDM G) brake pads/calipers/discs? Are they salvaged from the Subaru/Toyota spare parts bin? If so, what other car did they come from?
jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think the pads for GT are different. TRD has different parts for G (jdm 16s) and GT/GT Limited (JDM 17s). So I also think calipers are different.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
jello

Drives: DC5R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've made some assumptions but based on dba's catalogue of Subaru rotors and the disc diametres I've read, the GTS uses WRX fronts and Liberty GT rears, and the GT uses regular Impreza fronts and WRX rears. Hopefully pads correspond to those models, unlike my DC5 which uses a combination of Accord Euro and S2000 brake parts.
jello is offline   Reply With Quote