follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: What Should I buy this week?
New BRZ - same exact one but 0 miles. Ordered, nothing in stock 24 58.54%
Veloster N - hyundai 260 torque, and has a lame 3rd door for my cat I guess. 3 7.32%
VW GTI SE - kind of darth vader inside. Fancy. Might explode in 3000 miles? 2 4.88%
Mazda MX-5 RF - machine gray, 2019, no backseat = rebel 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #57
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I'll have you know I am a Millennial.
you're not that special, i am to. but i'd rather be a dinosaur. at least they can roar at people.
Dadhawk (08-16-2019), Jordanwolf (08-15-2019), korhun (08-16-2019), new2subaru (08-15-2019), OwlDance (08-16-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #58
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll have you know I am a Millennial.
If you think we haven’t noticed...

OP. Get another BRZ or keep the one you have!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #59
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
And it’s also very easy to stay on the tail of a faster car on public roads...
Didn’t make it any less fun though. And these weren’t dangerous speeds and the visibility was great, so not putting others in danger in the process. Normally I wouldn’t engage. I’m 56 and ZL1 driver was probably half that. But he was also quite obnoxious while driving in front of me, slowing down to a near crawl, blasting off, etc., so enough got to be enough after a bit.
“Very easy” in any car? Sorry, nope, disagree. Relatively easy in this car because of its delightful balance and controllability? Yep.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willpower For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #60
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Keep the 2017 BRZ. Pay it off, keep driving it. 21k miles is nothing. I regret not keeping my 2013 FR-S.

I used to play the same "gotta trade it in while it's still worth something" game. It's just that, a game. If you're financing "because interest rates are low", you're not likely to get ahead.

The best bang for your buck is to not have any car debt and save cash to get what you enjoy driving the most 1-2 years used.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Dadhawk (08-16-2019), Tcoat (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #61
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Willpower - The guy was just messing with you. He kept getting too far ahead and backing down so you could catch up and you'd both have a playmate.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #62
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post

The best bang for your buck is to not have any car debt and save cash to get what you enjoy driving the most 1-2 years used.
A better way to do it in my opinion is this;

Save up for a good sized downpayment (I saved up for 45% on my tS but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that high), purchase the car you want new (so manufacturers will keep making cars you will actually want to buy in the future), but not at the top of the budget that you can afford. Get an auto loan for the remainder, and set it up for automatic debit, however, set the amount you pay each month to pay down a good sized additional chunk of your principal using the money you would have spent on a more expensive car. Plus new car loans are generally lower interest than used.

Before you know it, your new car is paid off far ahead of schedule, you supported a company building a car you liked, and you've built up your credit.
Having good credit from doing things like this will save you much more in the long run by being able to get better rates on big loans like mortgages and future auto loans.

I can see how not having auto debt feels good, but the rates on auto loans are often low enough that you could use the money you'd spend for the entire cash purchase of a car for better returns, like investing or paying down your credit card or student loan debt if you have any.

Many people seem to think that you can either get what you want or you can be smart with your money.
However, being smart with your money leads to it being much easier to get what you want.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #63
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurikaze View Post
A better way to do it in my opinion is this;

Save up for a good sized downpayment (I saved up for 45% on my tS but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that high), purchase the car you want new (so manufacturers will keep making cars you will actually want to buy in the future), but not at the top of the budget that you can afford. Get an auto loan for the remainder, and set it up for automatic debit, however, set the amount you pay each month to pay down a good sized additional chunk of your principal using the money you would have spent on a more expensive car. Plus new car loans are generally lower interest than used.

Before you know it, your new car is paid off far ahead of schedule, you supported a company building a car you liked, and you've built up your credit.
Having good credit from doing things like this will save you much more in the long run by being able to get better rates on big loans like mortgages and future auto loans.

I can see how not having auto debt feels good, but the rates on auto loans are often low enough that you could use the money you'd spend for the entire cash purchase of a car for better returns, like investing or paying down your credit card or student loan debt if you have any.
There is no reason to put a large down payment on a car, especially one as big as 45% of the total amount owing. It also makes no sense to add more to each payment per month/week just to pay off the car sooner.. you're again just dumping money into nothing when it can be saved.

You either buy the car out right cash which will yield the greatest in savings, or finance it and invest the saved funds elsewhere.

Investing can be as small as getting an RRSP and throwing that extra money into it.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #64
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
Thank you korhun! Though, truth be told, the video makes a pretty compelling case for the 370Z.

So many people complain that they want a simple, analog, reliable sports car with power. The 370Z fits the bill, in a very old-school way. It's not perfect, but what car is? The 'infotainment' system may be totally obsolete, but I prefer to get my entertainment from the fun of driving a car and not how pretty the screen looks in trying to play songs off of an iPhone.

I've been going back and forth between buying a BRZ/86 and a 370Z. I was pretty heavily leaning to the BRZ, but this video has got me thinking again. Some dealers are discounting leftover new 370Z's to about the same price as a new BRZ.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-19-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #65
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no reason to put a large down payment on a car, especially one as big as 45% of the total amount owing. It also makes no sense to add more to each payment per month/week just to pay off the car sooner.. you're again just dumping money into nothing when it can be saved.

You either buy the car out right cash which will yield the greatest in savings, or finance it and invest the saved funds elsewhere.

Investing can be as small as getting an RRSP and throwing that extra money into it.
I disagree. A lot of times, attempting to pay cash for a car makes the sales staff less willing to deal because they don't get the kickback from the loan payments. Many times they'll make certain offers less available for cash buyers.

More often it's more beneficial to take the financing and pay it off after the first few payments.

And overall, the benefit of financing over paying off early comes down to the interest rate financed at.
Feistyfrog (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #66
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
@Willpower - The guy was just messing with you. He kept getting too far ahead and backing down so you could catch up and you'd both have a playmate.
Well shoot I never thought of that
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #67
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I disagree. A lot of times, attempting to pay cash for a car makes the sales staff less willing to deal because they don't get the kickback from the loan payments. Many times they'll make certain offers less available for cash buyers.

More often it's more beneficial to take the financing and pay it off after the first few payments.

And overall, the benefit of financing over paying off early comes down to the interest rate financed at.

Cash rebates?

The instant you pay cash you're paying less than you would financing simply because of no interest. Factor in a cash rebate which is extremely common on cars here in Canada at least, and you instantly have a couple thousand if not more still in your pocket.

The real and imo the only benefit to financing is so you don't have to pay everything up front, it is done by scheduled installments. I don't really understand the point of financing the car only to pay it off completely after a few payments.

If your whole argument is, so you can get deals from the sales staff then sure, but I'd much rather have a cash rebate an no interest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2019), Feistyfrog (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #68
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Thank you korhun! Though, truth be told, the video makes a pretty compelling case for the 370Z.

So many people complain that they want a simple, analog, reliable sports car with power. The 370Z fits the bill, in a very old-school way. It's not perfect, but what car is? The 'infotainment' system may be totally obsolete, but I prefer to get my entertainment from the fun of driving a car and not how pretty the screen looks in trying to play songs off of an iPhone.

I've been going back and forth between buying a BRZ/86 and a 370Z. I was pretty heavily leaning to the BRZ, but this video has got me thinking again. Some dealers are discounting leftover new 370Z's to about the same price as a new BRZ.
The 370z was on my list when I ended up buying the BRZ and I have owned a 350z in the past. The only thing that stood out about the 370z when driving it back to back with the BRZ was it's marvelous engine... everything else regarding the driving experience was better in the BRZ.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-19-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #69
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Cash is king here

Turn up at the end of the month and lowball every local new car dealer

Hit them with, "he gave me this price, what can you do".

I also get a broker to look around for me, guaranteed to get the best price for what you are after within a week.

This has been working for me for years.

I've used this guy before with stellar results

His videos are hilarious as well

https://autoexpert.com.au/faq
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #70
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
Well shoot I never thought of that
Definitely something a lot of people don't think about when they're the chaser.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote