follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #211
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hydraulic press and an Oxy/Acetylene torch.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #212
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I had to narrow the upright tube on the lower end of my passenger side engine mount where it meets the section holding the polyurethane bushing. I just cut a vertical pie piece out bent the pieces together, and welded the sides together. If you look closely you can see the vertical welds on the tube.
Attached Images

Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #213
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
As many others have posted, the fabrication and attention to detail on this build is incredible. Well done!
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to i8ur911 For This Useful Post:
DIY (11-25-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #214
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This week I went out and bought the best hydraulic press I could afford, the quality seems pretty good for the money and I'm sure it will be good enough for what I need. The only thing I don't like about it is that its a bit short and I have to crouch down to use it. I can easily build a little platform for it though to bring it up to a more comfortable height.

Today I spent most of the morning building a tool out of scrap metal that would allow me to squish my control arm tubes in a reproducible way.

It has some solid round bar in the base so I know when to stop pressing and a bit of angle at the back to keep the depth consistent.

You can see my first pressing to the left in this photo. I am still using my TIG to heat the metal but at about half the amps of my first attempt so I can control the heat easily.

No its not made from solid gold

So then it was time to move everything into position and start making the front upper control arms. I am keeping the rod ends parallel to each other so when I make adjustments to the length for either camber or caster there is no spreading effect.

The string lines give me the angle for my tube notcher, I prepared all the tube for both sides as they will be the same. The squished end is where they will differ from each other.

At this point I ran out of time, hopefully next weekend I will complete these upper arms.

My Build Thread
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (12-01-2019), DustinS (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #215
Zer0

Awesome progress!! Can't wait to see more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:
DIY (12-01-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #216
ka-titties

This is so entertaining. Please keep it up!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #217
DIY

I got some work done today on the front upper control arms.

I started by getting everything into position again, I have set it at 2 degrees negative camber and 8 degrees of positive caster.

I squared up the rod ends again so they are parallel to each other and then tacked on a small piece of angle to hold it in place while I squished and notched the other tubes. The squishing process in my new hydraulic press went really well.

Once I was happy with the fitment I tacked everything together. The whole process took a long time, especially notching by hand where the tube meets the spherical bearing.

I then removed the control arm from the car and checked that it would fit the other side and it does. I am talking about the space between the rod ends being equal on both sides. I need to know this as I am making a jig for the other side based on the arm already made, just a mirror image.

Then I started making my welding jig which will locate the 2 rod ends and the spherical bearing.

The plan is to build the jig before fully welding the control arm to prevent distortion. I will then make a mirror image just by measuring the angles for the other side, the only thing that changes for the other side is the angle that the spherical bearing mounts on which is easy to measure.

That's as far as I got today.

My Build Thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (03-02-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #218
Zer0

Looks like its moving along nicely. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #219
ka-titties

What a huge job. Props for sticking to it.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #220
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
What a huge job. Props for sticking to it.
Joel puts all other racecar fabrication build threads to shame. I am not even sure why I post my "fabricating" when I have this to compete with.

Truly inspiring stuff here.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #221
DIY

I finished one of the front upper control arms today, it took a long time as its summer here now and I didn't want to put too much heat into it welding so I spent a lot of time waiting for it to cool.

Started off by completing my welding jig.

Then I completed all the welds on the drivers side control arm with the arm in the jig to prevent distortion.

All done.

I then flipped the control arm over to make the a jig for the passenger side which is just a mirror image of the drivers side. The only change is the spherical bearing leans the opposite way, so all I had to do was measure the angle and lean the threaded rod I was using to locate the spherical bearing back the opposite way.

You can see the jig now does both sides. I will keep it in case I need to make another set of different length arms some time in the future.

Ran out of time at this point but everything is now ready to start fabrication on the passenger side control arm now.

Below are the six pieces that held my project up for many months, they are the tapered studs for the front RX8 uprights and the studs that locate the rear upper control arms in the factory BRZ rear uprights.

I measured the taper of the RX8 ball joints very accurately but I was not able to find off the shelf studs to fit, mostly because nobody lists the stud dimensions on their website and nobody replies to emails when you ask for dimensions.

I reached out to Racefab in NZ because he makes the studs I needed but he would not sell them to me because I was not buying his control arms.

So I found some studs that had dimensions listed but they were slightly too large so I had a friend turn them down on a lathe to suit the RX8 upright.

For the rear studs I have to give a huge shout out to Jeff at Racer X Fabrication who was willing to sell me the studs even though I was not going to be using their control arms. When they arrived I was very impressed with the quality and design.

My Build Thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (03-02-2021), Code Monkey (12-15-2019), DustinS (12-16-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #222
DIY

Those of you who have been following long enough will remember I lost all my photos in this thread when Photobucket blackmailed all their users. I spent so many hours uploading all my photos into Flickr and then going through each post and linking all the photos back into the thread.

Well I get the feeling Flickr is possibly heading the same way or just shutting down altogether so I have started using Imgur from today forward. I still have over 400 photos in this thread that are hosted on Flickr so hopefully they keep going. The thought of uploading and linking all those photos again is too much so if they do go down it could be the end of forums for me.

Today I got a fair amount of work done on the passenger side front upper control arm. I would have finished it but had to finish up early for my Wife's birthday celebration. There is probably another 20 minutes of welding to be done before its finished.

My Build Thread
Ash_89 (03-02-2021), DustinS (12-23-2019), Zer0 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 02:52 AM   #223
DIY

I finished the front upper control arms today. I decided to remove the excess tube first before giving them a good clean up and a coat of cold gal primer.

Next job will be the lower arms.

My Build Thread
DustinS (12-24-2019), Racecomp Engineering (01-06-2020), Zer0 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #224
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Awesome thread; just read through the whole thing.

For the diff front mount bolts did you consider drilling access holes through the lower tube to be able to insert a longer hex instead of making your thin access tool? I don't know the hex size but I wouldn't think it would have that much structural effect on the tube, especially next to the extra bracing you've already incorporated to a tube that doesn't carry huge amounts of the load.

At what point do you call a car a tube chassis? :p
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote