follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #29
LoXodonte

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is a safety issue, not a warranty issue; and for that it should be a factory recall. The majority of people here seem to be savy DYI types which while admirable, deludes Toyotas responsibility for the issue. If you're not a DYI your options are to fill up until you spray gas on yourself; or shell out $200 to Toyota just for a diagnostic. I'd recommend getting it fixed, but simultaneously submitting a report with NHTSA.GOV. Gas stations have warnings for topping off for good reason, and this faulty part is inducing behavior that forces a non-safe fueling method. A person will not realize the problem until forced to bypass the safety mechanisms at the gas station just to make sure they can get home. From what I understand Toyota has an alternative replacement part now; which to me is far worse than an acknowledge of faulty design, but of negligence. I hope an accident doesn't happen, but if it does...who catches the lawsuit; Toyota, Subaru... both?

Check out this video demonstrating a swell occurring inside the fuel hose:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6A0mMEFoTk[/ame]

Reported Incident with NHTSA.GOV
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11221942

A Toyota Service Request Reference of reported issue: #190605-000268
LoXodonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #30
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I would agree, once it happens it's almost impossible to fill the tank without spilling gas outside the vehicle.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #31
kizmar

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
I'm a little late to this thread, but has this happened to anybody else? This is just happened to me and it's in the shop now. I have a 2013 with almost 90K miles. Does anybody know how common this is? I'm worried that Toyota will just replace it with the same defective part, so that it can happen again in the near future.
How much did they charge you to fix it? My 2013 is at the dealership right now and they're telling me $1,700.

More specifically, this is the response I got: "You are in need of a charcoal canister. He [mechanic] unplugged it from the fuel tank and tested and verified that canister does have a restriction causing your issue." He went on to say "parts are $767, labor is $860." and "tech said there is no way around dropping the frame and differentials".

I'm not a mechanic... I have no idea if I should trust that.

Last edited by kizmar; 07-23-2019 at 05:18 PM.
kizmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #32
LoXodonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizmar View Post
How much did they charge you to fix it? My 2013 is at the dealership right now and they're telling me $1,700.

More specifically, this is the response I got: "You are in need of a charcoal canister. He [mechanic] unplugged it from the fuel tank and tested and verified that canister does have a restriction causing your issue." He went on to say "parts are $767, labor is $860." and "tech said there is no way around dropping the frame and differentials".

I'm not a mechanic... I have no idea if I should trust that.
Did you end up dropping $$ on the canister? Did that actually resolve the issue?
Old 06-11-2020, 01:37 AM   #33
LoXodonte

I'm afraid I don't have the energy to adequately outline the complete frustrating sequence of events which eventually resulted in the repair of a $45 part for the proposed fee of $1200. It was eventually settled at $760 because I was absolutely sick of dealing with the issue, and Toyota. I did find it interesting how the initial fee happened to add up to consume the entirety of my 1200 COVID check. No I don't believe any grand conspiracy took place for me; rather an embarrassing display of fragile egos and commitment /consistency bias prevalence at my local dealer.

When I initiated my service request to Toyota used their webform and specifically referenced the fuel fill neck issue identified on this forum multiple times. Additionally, I included the part number and even a recommendation from people here that it could potentially be performed in 90 minutes; drive train removal, support the tank, small arms, yadda yadda.

After leaving the car at service for a few hours, I received a call from my representative stating that the "Charcoal Canister" was likely the problem. I feigned a small degree of confirmation noting that I had read that was the culprit for most cars...BUT that the filler neck issue was very prevalent for my particular year of FRS. I asked if they had scoped it, or if it was possible to...I know close to nothing of what tools they have available and what is possible. I was told that they checked it throughly but that she would inquire specifically about the scoping. A half hour later I was informed that they scoped it and everything looked normal. There was a short discussion which I had initially suggested about including a bid for replacing the fuel fill neck along side the canister hoping the labor would be cheaper while they were poking about. Luckily I backed off that and just told them to do what the mechanic advised.

After waiting a week for the part, they popped it in the canister early afternoon on a Friday. My rep called me to ask permission to fuel....which I still don't quite understand. YES. Radio silence for the next 5 hours... I finally call them and am informed that it doesn't fuel, that it is spraying gas back now...and that they have a ticket open with Toyota.

Monday morning I receive a call stating that my car is good to go, that a fuel line had been ruptured and collapsed; and the best part "because of the charcoal canisters suction". As I said I don't know much but that triggered my horseshit alarm. She went as far as saying that they are aware that this can sometimes cause the fuel tank to collapse, although they have never seen this. I asked for the Toyota case number, and the part number. I was told that it was a third party part so a PN wasn't available...I clarified; asking for the official toyota part that which this third party component was based. She said she would have to call me back.

In the meantime I googled...all I could find as info on fuel pumps having the potential to collapse a tank but nothing on the canister. I received a voicemail sometime later and sure enough; the filler neck was finally identified.

Not only did they go out of there way to avoid checking what I suggested multiple times; they went out of their way not owning up to it. I'm leaving out quite a bit as it serves little purpose for any unfortunate SOB which may be in a similar circumstance, and only serves to annoy me by dwelling further.

I guess just be persistent, plan to be without your car, and plan to pay out the nose. I also recommend opening a case with the NHSTA; which may be a fruitless endeavor given they only sent me one follow-up email.

If you want to know what's going on in your fill neck, take a peak here... kinda hard to tell but this hose feels like it's inflated on the inside at both ends. I'm not sure how any gas got through this thing it's that tight.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Yl...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by LoXodonte; 06-11-2020 at 01:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LoXodonte For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (06-24-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #34
Luken10

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Just came across this issue in my 2013 FRS. I scoped the filler neck, can anyone confirm if what I am seeing means it's collapsed? Some people mentioned a lining, or rubber, but I scoped all the way to the tank and it looked 100% metal the whole way.

https://imgur.com/Vf8efKw

I have not had fuel spill over while refilling, but I do have to use basically the slowest pump speed possible.
Attached Images

Luken10 is offline   Reply With Quote