follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #85
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And figured while I was at I'll I'm gonna throw on the invidia n2. 1 hour car up to car down. Opened the exhaust tone up JUST right for a daily driver. Sounds amazing. But I'm keeping it at partial throttle below 4k for a couple hundred miles to make sure all is good. Have a Blackstone kit ready to send the oil in for analysis after I run it for like 500 miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
Rampage (07-06-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #86
aemravan

Well fellas... car is going to get registered tmrw... 20 miles in and so far so good.. thanks for all that helped with advice throughout this rebuild.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (07-09-2019), MJones_RB (08-12-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #87
KN0W

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10
Sick thread. glad you were able to get it figured out. I enjoyed the photos
KN0W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KN0W For This Useful Post:
aemravan (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #88
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Awesome. What a story! Twists, turns and even a surprise third act twist before it gets to ride off into the sunset.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
aemravan (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #89
aemravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Awesome. What a story! Twists, turns and even a surprise third act twist before it gets to ride off into the sunset.
Thats definitely a hell of a way to describe the journey

Just dropped the car off at the show for VIN verification here in NC, hoping the inspector is done by lunch so I can go get it inspected, and then off to the DMV to get it officially titled
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #90
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@aemravan, great work. I think I missed something though. What happened between post 41 ("waiting to hear about the recall match") and post 45 ("I'm pulling the engine to work on it").

Was the work denied?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #91
aemravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@aemravan, great work. I think I missed something though. What happened between post 41 ("waiting to hear about the recall match") and post 45 ("I'm pulling the engine to work on it").

Was the work denied?
Thank you!

Basically yes, work was denied. What happened with toyota was as follows:

1) call to customer care center to verify it was ok to bring in salvage car, "yes it is, its due for a recall"
2) tow car to dealer who they set up an appointment with, I tell them it has a rough idle and I suspect its recall related "no worries, we'll take a look let you know"
3) get a call saying it has mismatched vins, bunch of stuff unplugged (headlights) some one worked on it already, blah blah blah. need a factory rep to come verify engine serial.
4) engine serial verified OK but work denied by representative of Toyota "because clearly someone worked on it and its been in an accident"

I decided it was going to be a waste of time trying to pursue the issue with them further so I just came and picked up the car. I should have just yanked the motor myself to begin with, not sure what i was afraid of
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #92
aemravan

Well fellas, probably the last post into this thread (I hope ..fingers crossed) except for maybe a follow up on the oil analysis after about 500-1000 miles.. but the car is registered and roadworthy finally. Wored in the 4th brake light and had my fiance do her maiden voyage to the gas station and Walmart for a trunk full of stuff it was a blast

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-10-2019), Rampage (07-15-2019), RZNT4R (07-10-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #93
aemravan

Well fellas wish me luck. Taking the car to a small 400ish mile round trip to the mountains. Nothing crazy but will be the first long drive.

Jacked the car up last night to install the engine covers and do a quick overlook. Car is at around 160 miles after the rebuild and quite a lot of idle time on top of that..

Saw something that made me a little mad at myself.. there is a little oil seepage coming from the driver side valve cover.. looks like it will be manageable for the next year or two if the motor holds up otherwise. Makes me mad bc I'm certain it would have been fine if I didnt pull it the second time for the pulley.

That side of the motor will be gunked up... but as long as I keep an eye on oil level it should be fine mechanically. I'll fix that at a later time, maybe when doing plugs in 50k miles.

Pretty nervous about the trip but has to be done. If this goes well I'm draining oil and sending off to Blackstone for analysis.

Other than that, the car on the exterior is looking damn good.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #94
aemravan

For those interested, we made to and from the mountains without any apparent issues..

Car was hella fun to drive though we didn't push it really hard and stayed below 50% throttle and kept it to under 4k rpm. Sounds like a sowing machine at some parts of the rpm range but my guess its the common rocker/valve clearance tapping.

So far there is about 620 miles since the rebuild so sometime this week I will drain the oil and send it off to Blackstone labs for analysis. That either will make me 100% certain we are good to drive and not think about it, or confirm that I am apart of the ever-so-growing list of eventually failed motors. Time will tell
Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #95
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
It is nice to see another one back from the dead. This was a very informative thread both from the standpoint of dealing with Toyota and the subsequent rebuild process. I believe I learned a lot from your trials and tribulations. At the very least, I learned that I would never buy a 2013 model BRZ or FR-S that was subject to the recall. In fact, I would only buy a 2014. I wish you the best of luck in the future with this car.
aemravan (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #96
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
For those interested, we made to and from the mountains without any apparent issues..

Car was hella fun to drive though we didn't push it really hard and stayed below 50% throttle and kept it to under 4k rpm. Sounds like a sowing machine at some parts of the rpm range but my guess its the common rocker/valve clearance tapping.
The direct injection on this car is pretty loud.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
aemravan (07-19-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #97
aemravan

for those of you that followed this thread and are interested in an update, I got my oil report back from blackstone labs.

apparently I was too hard on my self and everything looks to be decent with engine. The oil test was done at approximately 800 miles from rebuild, and the car is currently sitting at maybe 1200miles since the rebuild. Still purring like a kitt... well not a kitten, still purring like a sewing machine

Needless to say, the report was a bit relieving and the car is more fun to drive now not having to worry too much about a catastrophic failure. The silicone content was a bit elevated but apparently that is to be expected from the contact with all the fresh FIPG that is squeezed out onto the interior portions of the motor.

Time will tell, but so far so good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
RZNT4R (08-12-2019), Ultramaroon (08-12-2019)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #98
aemravan

Quick update for those interested/followed this thread on a "self-done" valvespring job:

The initial oil report was good, and am hoping to get a second report back with positive news in about 2 weeks. The car has gone another 5,000ish miles and (*knocks on wood*) so far so good. The small oil leak that I had coming from one of the valve covers seems to have resolved itself somewhere in the 3k mile range and everything is running like it should.

I've progressively stepped up how aggressive the car is driven and so far the only results were a smile on my face, and a dire need for more power lol.

Spent some time this week finishing painting some additional body pieces, wiring in the running led light on the series 10 lights and got the foglights wired in finally. The custom carbonfiber center pieces I did on the modellista-style front lip actually came out half decent. The next step is putting on my old 18's from the Supra to fill out the body kit better.

THanks for looking!

Attached Images