follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #85
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Thanks. I go to SoCal often enough and a 1 day turnaround is workable. How far in advance did you schedule your appointment?

Maybe 3- 4 days in advance. I'd recommend getting Danny in the service dept to schedule, some of their service advisors dont know shit and pretend and just spout bs. Danny is good though, he also made it so I could meet with Jason doing the recalls so I could talk with him and feel better about this massive service. I was super apprehensive about taking the car in so Longo did a good job of easing my tensions.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 AM   #86
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Its not mandatory until smog is due
Even this has been debated, as at least one California resident on the forum has posted that they were able to renew their registration without issue without having done the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #87
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Even this has been debated, as at least one California resident on the forum has posted that they were able to renew their registration without issue without having done the recall.
Someone who had to smog their car for reg?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #88
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Quote:
Someone who had to smog their car for reg?
Might've been me, no smog for me yet, that'll be a 2021 problem. But I did renew my registration a few months back after receiving the letter (mine is due in January), I really don't think it pops up until you have to go in for an emissions check, but that's a guess on my part based on the letter I've read and what little I know of the state's systems.

Earliest someone will be performing smog on these cars would be April 2020. Edit: I guess there's out of state cars that might already be getting checked.

Last edited by strat61caster; 05-03-2019 at 06:54 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #89
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Ah, yeah, good point. I didn't fully consider the SMOG test component to the registration situation. I guess it's still an unknown then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #90
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Might've been me, no smog for me yet, that'll be a 2021 problem. But I did renew my registration a few months back after receiving the letter (mine is due in January), I really don't think it pops up until you have to go in for an emissions check, but that's a guess on my part based on the letter I've read and what little I know of the state's systems.

Earliest someone will be performing smog on these cars would be April 2020.
Yeah. Mine is due this month and am not worried about it yet.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #91
strat61caster
-

Not sure what I'll do if they block registration when smog comes up, maybe sell it to someone out of state? If I make enough money and have a garage to not ruin the paint on a newer one maybe I'll replace it with another, it'd be right around the end of this car and the announcement/lack thereof of a 2nd generation, maybe be second owner on one of those green or Neptune blue ones.

There's always the chance that the threat is toothless and it never gets checked, but no matter what I have exactly zero intention of having this car enter a dealership service bay under my ownership.

I'll mention this though, how many tens if not hundreds of thousands of cars still haven't had their Takata airbags replaced? Are they all non-op registered right now because the state is vigilantly checking the recall databases when renewals/emissions checks come up because it's a major safety concern that has killed people?

This is a slim chance of a valve spring breaking. I'd honestly bet it's a toothless threat.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #92
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Not sure what I'll do if they block registration when smog comes up, maybe sell it to someone out of state? If I make enough money and have a garage to not ruin the paint on a newer one maybe I'll replace it with another, it'd be right around the end of this car and the announcement/lack thereof of a 2nd generation, maybe be second owner on one of those green or Neptune blue ones.

There's always the chance that the threat is toothless and it never gets checked, but I have exactly zero intention of having this car enter a dealership service bay under my ownership.

I'll mention this though, how many tens if not hundreds of thousands of cars still haven't had their Takata airbags replaced? Are they all non-op registered right now because the state is vigilantly checking the recall databases when renewals/emissions checks come up because it's a major safety concern that has killed people?

This is a slim chance of a valve spring breaking.
A truck and trailer might be the solution. Mine will be worthless to sell now let alone 2 more years lol

Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #93
strat61caster
-

Quote:
A truck and trailer might be the solution. Mine will be worthless to sell now let alone 2 more years lol
If I buy a tow vehicle I'm going racing in a way where there's a non-zero chance the racecar gets totaled during the weekend, no ****ing around with TT HPDE or Autox, those events only make sense to me when the vehicle is streetable and low-hassle to get out to the event, I grew up towing an enclosed trailer to events, it's a hassle imho, not a simplification, fuel costs double, you need space to store the trailer, another vehicle to maintain (oil, tires, brakes), what do I commute in now, etc. Even if I had a bunch of money to burn I'd rather buy a Kart, Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, or B-Spec car for deeper competitive fields than whatever oddball class the 86 ends up in after spending ten thousand or more getting it ready for wheel to wheel racing.

I beat the absolute shit out of my car, but in two years a beat up clean title car with some deep seated cosmetic flaws and reasonable mileage will still be worth mid-upper $5k-$10k range private party which is a solid downpayment on a car <$30k. I know I looked the other day and KBB was saying around $9k for a 78k mile '13 FR-S which last I looked there's only salvage title cars selling for under ~$12k so I'm confident that's low if you're a little patient and don't succumb to a dealer trade-in.

But hey, if you can wipe your ass with >$5k and not worry about it, more power to you.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #94
408brz

Drives: 2013 SWP Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I went to Stevens Creek today for the long awaited appointment. Was told 2 more months. So I made an appointment at Fremont for Saturday morning. A wise person once said "Why'd you wait for 3+ months when Fremont can do it within a week? lol" I shall wait no more. Stevens Creek also said they can't touch any after market parts. The JDL header is on its way... so off to Fremont!
408brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #95
CandyFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout 5AD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyFRS View Post
Anybody taken their car in to Concord Toyota for the recall?
I brought mine in to Concord Toyota on May 7. I was told it would take a week. It's not my DD so I was fine with it. I asked a lot of questions and they were able to answer and make me feel comfortable about the work. I also had them change out my spark plugs. Cost 80 bucks. They also set me up with a car from Enterprise. No charge. Got the car back the following week. So far no issues.
CandyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:21 AM   #96
SaVaGeRaIn

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Bumping this thread up from the dead. Now that it's been a while, any body have any recommendations in the bay area to get this work done for a BRZ? Or, places to absolutely not go? Thanks!
SaVaGeRaIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #97
milanojess

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408brz View Post
I went to Stevens Creek today for the long awaited appointment. Was told 2 more months. So I made an appointment at Fremont for Saturday morning. A wise person once said "Why'd you wait for 3+ months when Fremont can do it within a week? lol" I shall wait no more. Stevens Creek also said they can't touch any after market parts. The JDL header is on its way... so off to Fremont!

Funny, Fremont turned me away for I have aftermarket parts (JRSC). Melody Toyota is the most recommended and has done many FI cars
Old 08-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #98
jiffyjhn

Drives: White FR-S kosei k4r 17x8
I have a 13 frs. I am thinking about having mine done. I have catless headers installed and running e85. Will either of these be an issue for the dealership doing the recall?
jiffyjhn is offline   Reply With Quote