follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #113
Rakshaa
Milton 86 Club

Drives: Lexus IS350, GT86, Mini Cooper, CBR
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota USDM fog light kit install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
You can buy 2010-12 subaru legacy/ outback.. but they're blackhousing instead of chrome pn #84501AJ00A
I have them on my car

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting winjets as they were cheap and just replaced the housings, keeping everything else OEM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rakshaa; 04-24-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Rakshaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #114
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
nice write-up. Is there any way to wire the fogs so that it can turn on or off independently (aka headlights do not need to be on/off)? I did this on my old celica and loved it
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #115
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
So, the button with this kit lights amber instead of red like the buttons next to it? Does anyone know if there is a similar button the lights red that would fit the bezel?
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #116
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to revive this old one again but....
Does anyone know how to buy only this short harness that goes from the fog light switch to the car harness ? I bought the FT86speedfactory OLM/OEM type kit and this part does not come with it. Part number ? anyone have a used one ? Where to buy the connectors and part number on those to make one ? any help appreciated.
FT86 speedfactory can't help me so I am on my on.

Thanks,
22R

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1365.
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #117
csol

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
I am wondering that unused connector from dash is available for BRZ premium as well.
Are you talking about the one higher up near the dash?
Idk what that is but my brz never came with a fog light harness taped to the other switch wires.
csol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #118
Thedishdoc

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Quote:
This is NOT a full fog light install walkthrough! Refer to this DIY for videos explaining the basics of the fog and bezel install as well as where to ground your harnesses.

YOU WILL NEED:
- Flat drive screwdriver
- Phillips drive screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- 10mm socket
- 11mm socket
- Needle nose pliers

I recommend removing your bumper though it isn't necessary. At the very least, be able to raise your car on stands and have plenty of clearance to work safely. You need to be able to reach the side marker harness plug, remove the center lock, and insert a new harness pin into it. I cannot recommend enough removing the front bumper to do this.

The Toyota USDM fog light kit includes 2 fog lights, 2 bezels, 2 harnesses, 2 mounting brackets, dash panel with push button switch, and mounting hardware.

The biggest difference between this kit and others is the mounting bracket required. The brackets are marked L and R, and they mount between the bumper and the fog light. The right bracket R installs on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the left bracket L installs on the driver's side.

MOUNTING THE LIGHTS

- Begin by attaching the mounting brackets to each light. The lights are universal and it does not matter which bracket mounts to which light.
- Face the fog light away from you, and push the bracket onto the front/glass side of the light. The fog glass should be facing away from you, and the white L or R label facing toward you.
- Flat screwdriver: Using (2) of the small screws provided, screw the bracket onto the light from the rear. There should be one remaining open hole (the last hole is filled by a tab on the bracket).
- Seat the fog light and bracket into the bumper.

- Like all other fog light DIYs, you need to make sure these tabs are secure in place. Watch the video in the link at the top of this guide.
- 10mm socket: With the fog light in place, insert (1) long bolt into the remaining hole. On the reverse side, secure the bolt with (1) of the locking nuts.

- Check that your mounted light looks like the above picture.
- Repeat for the other side.

INSTALLING THE DASH SWITCH

The dashboard pieces are a quick swap. To remove the OEM dash trim piece:

- Flat screwdriver: On the bottom of this dash piece on the driver's side is a small opening. Insert a screwdriver and pry GENTLY to remove it.

- Phillips screwdriver: Remove the bottom screw shown above.
- Flat screwdriver: Push into the yellow tab with a flat drive screwdriver to separate the lower dash piece.
- On the inside of the trim piece are four large tabs, squeeze them to remove the trim piece from the dash.
- Unplug each of the connectors from the trim piece and remove them from the trim.

- Insert each button into the new trim piece. You can see I chose to move the trunk out of the way to the right, giving the fog light priority.
- Connect the fog light connector (here with yellow heat shrink) to the fog light button.
- Insert the new trim piece into the dash. Reconnect the cluster light and trunk wires.

- Following the trunk wire back you will find a bundle of wiring with an UNUSED connection taped to the bundle. Mine was taped in white and is indicated in the above photo.
- Connect this connector to the fog light connector coming from the back of the button.
- Replace the dash pieces.

Here's the installed trim piece and button. The trunk button is a lighter grey than the new button and trim piece, that's a little irritating. Oh well. Here it is with the cabin lights on:

Pretty! It lights up and dims with the cabin lights on the dimmer wheel. Cool!

With the low beam headlights on, pressing the button displays the fog light indicator in the cluster.

CONNECTING THE LIGHTS

To connect the fog lights, first watch these videos for the ground locations and how to ground the harnesses. Ground them using the ring terminal connectors on the provided harnesses.

The remaining pin connector on the harness needs to be connected to the indicator harness plugs.

Follow the DIYs provided to finish installing your lights.

Reference:
Imravenit's simplified fog light install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34169
Juanito08's fog light install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27581

Even though the FRS never came with fog lights, the dash gauge has the fog light indicator in it?
Thedishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #119
Thedishdoc

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Quote:
This is NOT a full fog light install walkthrough! Refer to this DIY for videos explaining the basics of the fog and bezel install as well as where to ground your harnesses.

YOU WILL NEED:
- Flat drive screwdriver
- Phillips drive screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- 10mm socket
- 11mm socket
- Needle nose pliers

I recommend removing your bumper though it isn't necessary. At the very least, be able to raise your car on stands and have plenty of clearance to work safely. You need to be able to reach the side marker harness plug, remove the center lock, and insert a new harness pin into it. I cannot recommend enough removing the front bumper to do this.

The Toyota USDM fog light kit includes 2 fog lights, 2 bezels, 2 harnesses, 2 mounting brackets, dash panel with push button switch, and mounting hardware.

The biggest difference between this kit and others is the mounting bracket required. The brackets are marked L and R, and they mount between the bumper and the fog light. The right bracket R installs on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the left bracket L installs on the driver's side.

MOUNTING THE LIGHTS

- Begin by attaching the mounting brackets to each light. The lights are universal and it does not matter which bracket mounts to which light.
- Face the fog light away from you, and push the bracket onto the front/glass side of the light. The fog glass should be facing away from you, and the white L or R label facing toward you.
- Flat screwdriver: Using (2) of the small screws provided, screw the bracket onto the light from the rear. There should be one remaining open hole (the last hole is filled by a tab on the bracket).
- Seat the fog light and bracket into the bumper.

- Like all other fog light DIYs, you need to make sure these tabs are secure in place. Watch the video in the link at the top of this guide.
- 10mm socket: With the fog light in place, insert (1) long bolt into the remaining hole. On the reverse side, secure the bolt with (1) of the locking nuts.

- Check that your mounted light looks like the above picture.
- Repeat for the other side.

INSTALLING THE DASH SWITCH

The dashboard pieces are a quick swap. To remove the OEM dash trim piece:

- Flat screwdriver: On the bottom of this dash piece on the driver's side is a small opening. Insert a screwdriver and pry GENTLY to remove it.

- Phillips screwdriver: Remove the bottom screw shown above.
- Flat screwdriver: Push into the yellow tab with a flat drive screwdriver to separate the lower dash piece.
- On the inside of the trim piece are four large tabs, squeeze them to remove the trim piece from the dash.
- Unplug each of the connectors from the trim piece and remove them from the trim.

- Insert each button into the new trim piece. You can see I chose to move the trunk out of the way to the right, giving the fog light priority.
- Connect the fog light connector (here with yellow heat shrink) to the fog light button.
- Insert the new trim piece into the dash. Reconnect the cluster light and trunk wires.

- Following the trunk wire back you will find a bundle of wiring with an UNUSED connection taped to the bundle. Mine was taped in white and is indicated in the above photo.
- Connect this connector to the fog light connector coming from the back of the button.
- Replace the dash pieces.

Here's the installed trim piece and button. The trunk button is a lighter grey than the new button and trim piece, that's a little irritating. Oh well. Here it is with the cabin lights on:

Pretty! It lights up and dims with the cabin lights on the dimmer wheel. Cool!

With the low beam headlights on, pressing the button displays the fog light indicator in the cluster.

CONNECTING THE LIGHTS

To connect the fog lights, first watch these videos for the ground locations and how to ground the harnesses. Ground them using the ring terminal connectors on the provided harnesses.

The remaining pin connector on the harness needs to be connected to the indicator harness plugs.

Follow the DIYs provided to finish installing your lights.

Reference:
Imravenit's simplified fog light install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34169
Juanito08's fog light install: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27581

How much did your kit cost?
Thedishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #120
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedishdoc View Post
Even though the FRS never came with fog lights, the dash gauge has the fog light indicator in it?

The fog lights were a factory option AFAIK.

And yes, the actual fog light indicator in the dash does turn on and off with the official OEM (not eBay "OEM") kit.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
Thedishdoc (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:38 PM   #121
Rosticles

Drives: 1966 Mustang, 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine cost $360 when I bought it 6 years ago. That's the entire kit w/ bulbs.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...26&postcount=1
Rosticles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosticles For This Useful Post:
Thedishdoc (02-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #122
RealShkillz
The White Pearl

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone have the part number on the Valeo fog lights themselves? I had the glass break on one of mine. Ive seen someone else mention outback lights but I'm looking to match the original part if possible to match the other fog light installed thats still in good condition. Ive searched high and low but can't seem to find the correct SKU.
RealShkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #123
Roy68

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealShkillz View Post
Does anyone have the part number on the Valeo fog lights themselves? I had the glass break on one of mine. Ive seen someone else mention outback lights but I'm looking to match the original part if possible to match the other fog light installed thats still in good condition. Ive searched high and low but can't seem to find the correct SKU.
Check out Carid web-site, there is a wide range of fog lights, so you can opt to your model.
Roy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:41 AM   #124
PopaNolie

Drives: Scion FR-S
Thanks this is the best way to setup fog lights. Avoid the aftermarket kits.

I converted an aftermarket fog light set using this guide and buying only the fog lamp switch 84160-12060
I did not need the cable extension part (PT413-18130-AF)

Also made my own harness by crimping into the 4th unused cable from the turn signal harness.

Wish I bought the OEM kit from the beginning it would have saved me time PT413-18130. But it was still fun to work on this project.
Attached Images

PopaNolie is offline   Reply With Quote