follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
okenso

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question TPMS Help - OEM Winter, Aftermarket Summers

Hello, I've scoured the internet and this forum, but this TPMS stuff still does not make any sense to me.

I have a 2016 FR-S with OEM rims/sensors that have winter rubber on them.

I also have Niche Targa M129 rims with summer rubber on them, and WURTH 315 MHZ TPMS sensors inside those.

When I put my winter's on back in Fall 2017, I had to bring my tires into Toyota to get them reprogrammed (or something else? the light was on, they fixed it and now it's gone). From what I understand, I'll have to do the same thing with my summers now that I want to put them on, because apparently the FR-S can't learn another set. Is this correct?

So from my understanding, I can change my wheels myself every Fall/Spring and bring the car into Toyota to have them re-program (is this right?) the sensors, and pay half an hour of service.

Is there a TPMS tool that I can buy and do this myself? I've read that there's sensors that can hold 2 sets of codes for winters/summers, but I haven't found a definitive guide for my car.

If I can't do this myself, should I just bite the bullet and get Toyota to replace my aftermarket rims sensors with cloned ones that match my winter sensors? It seems like such a waste, considering they'd have to take the wheels apart and there's nothing wrong with the sensors inside there.

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer. What tools would I need? I'm in Canada, by the way.

Also, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem, is this a Toyota thing? My brother is a big car nut and has owned everything from Porsche's, Camaros, AMG Mercedes to Lancers and Accords and he never had this issue. As much as I love the look of my car, I probably would have not purchased it if I knew this would be a seasonal hassle.
okenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
It's a Subie thing. They don't like to have different set of TPMS. There is a TPMS tool that help program, so you don't have to waste more money going to the dealership... but it's not 100% work (I stand corrected)

What I usually do is, I have TPMS on my summer set and don't have any TPMS on winter set and Beastronix's 86Nanny. As long as you don't drive 25 miles, TPMS light doesn't turn on. When I come back home, my summer tire is in the garage, so it reset itself and TPMS light turns off when I start up my car next time. Even if it does goes on, I have 86Nanny to reset it for me whenever I want to.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
okenso

Drives: 2016 FR-S
thanks for the reply!

My wheels aren't stored at my home as I'm in a small apartment without a garage, I don't think my setup will work like yours does. I'd really like to keep both TPMS going for my winter/summer set incase I pick up a nail or something, I've seen awful crashes because a tire gives out. Do you know which tool wasn't 100% guaranteed to work, so I can avoid it?

Anyone else have any ideas?
okenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I'm about to get summer and track wheels and tires, I'm just gonna let the light come on and keep an eye on tire pressures manually like I've done for every other car I've ever owned... TBH I'm disappointed in the system, it would be useful to me if it displayed the pressure but alas it does not.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Crashes due puncture may happen when it's sudden and major damage to tire, letting almost all air out at one go while you go at fast speed. TPMS won't save you from such, just another warning light on dash when your car is crashing. It may help finding out about punctures that pass out air gradually which i hardly doubt to cause sudden crash.
If TPMS matters to you, just get some tool/solution to reset yourself instead of going to dealership. Probably most options will be payware though. But at least one-time, instead of paying that twice each year at dealership.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ATEM Quickset
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Firecruiser

Drives: 2014 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Relatively easy to use. I highly recommend it for anyone who has kept sensors in two sets of wheels.
Firecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firecruiser For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (04-26-2018)

Tags
season, swap, tire advice, tpms