follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #2241
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for sharing @Zaku! I can't wait to see both of these in person
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Zaku (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #2242
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally finally we get LED HID, my biggest pet peeve that the 13-16 should've had from the start not those ancient halogen projectors.
Boomerang (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #2243
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
So I couldn't sleep and was on the internet and found this.

it's not the greatest video, but none the less thank you to the person who created it and uploaded it all credit goes to him.
Since none of our usual staff was able to attend the event to get good footage.(apologies that I was unable to)

2017 US Spec Toyota 86 @ 86 fest.

this is probably the best view of what the US spec 2017 (Mono) 86 will be in my opinion. The only thing that I can't confirm is if the LCD screen item was added to the dash. * this is my personal educated speculation take with salt*

otherwise, we're basically getting the same car as the one shown in New York, it has the older GT seats from the old 86, but has the higher Alcantara trim pieces. No fog lights, and so far only automatic models are shown. This time however a red car is shown and no longer has prototype sticker stuck on it. I wonder if there is any other people with media of the car. The LCD screen item on the dash is my biggest interest.

Edit* confirmed No Screen in there.

anyways let's see what else we can find on this Im sure there's media of it somewhere and we'll get something soon via official items Im hoping.

curious to see how this will be priced. above or below a BRZ premium.
@Tcoat @raven1231 @ichitaka05

So pretty much the monospec they said they would release for 2017 except with Toyota badges. Probably would have been exactly the same car even if still badged as Scion. My guess is they will keep the price down for this one to soften the blow when the tricked out 18s with more trim levels come out. With the disappearance of Pure Price there is the possibility that they may raise the MRRSP a bit so that they can "lower" it when bargaining.
Dadhawk (08-11-2016), Zaku (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #2244
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So pretty much the monospec they said they would release for 2017 except with Toyota badges. Probably would have been exactly the same car even if still badged as Scion. My guess is they will keep the price down for this one to soften the blow when the tricked out 18s with more trim levels come out. With the disappearance of Pure Price there is the possibility that they may raise the MRRSP a bit so that they can "lower" it when bargaining.
Yeah you're point on, I was hoping that Toyota would just do a GT trim for the whole world and just compete on the Limited Trim. But I guess they wanted to stick to the original strategy with something that's like a Premium and Under a Limited(basically just another FRS in the USA). At this point the 86 is just alittle more Lux than the Brz premium, probably in different seats, and trim pieces etc. Other wise it would be exactly the same, willing to bet it's within 1000$ margin of eachother. Maybe we'll see some sort of edition car next year with better stuff. Till then in my educated opinion, I think this Gen of 86 may not be successful as the FRS. But the BRZ will likely be steady with it's offerings.

btw

more recent stuff from Japan

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgzwjMX5aU"]ƒˆƒ‚ –ž‹ 86 KOUKI GT 試——てきŸ‚ˆˆNight ver‰&TOYOTA –ž‹ 86 KOUKI GT limited ŸŠ‹てきŸ‚ˆ ‚ƒƒ BRZと…にƒ“ƒƒ‚ƒž‚ƒŠƒƒ‚ƒ‚! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szE1fbuK68Q"]€Œ走‚Œ! 86 ‰ˆ試—š in Œ士‚ƒ”ƒƒ‰‚‚‚€ 2016/07/31 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTPlHWLBdk"]ƒƒ‚ƒ‚ƒ‰ƒ‚ƒƒŒ–ž‹ƒˆƒ‚86 に—って„Ÿ˜Ÿ€Œ–度とはŸ - YouTube[/ame]

Second two vids has lots of talking but you can see the new 86 Run around

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-11-2016), xuimod (08-18-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #2245
leapoffaith_initial-d_frs

Drives: Scion frs raven black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
leapoffaith_initial-d_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #2246
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
and yet still people will complain about how awfully slow this car is
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #2247
Tcoat

@Zaku (Won't let me quote)
"Yeah you're point on, I was hoping that Toyota would just do a GT trim for the whole world and just compete on the Limited Trim. But I guess they wanted to stick to the original strategy with something that's like a Premium and Under a Limited(basically just another FRS in the USA). At this point the 86 is just alittle more Lux than the Brz premium, probably in different seats, and trim pieces etc. Other wise it would be exactly the same, willing to bet it's within 1000$ margin of eachother. Maybe we'll see some sort of edition car next year with better stuff. Till then in my educated opinion, I think this Gen of 86 may not be successful as the FRS. But the BRZ will likely be steady with it's offerings."

The more tidbits of info we get the more I am convinced that the death of Scion was (contrary to usual industry standards) swift and unplanned. This left a group scrambling to make the changes that had to be done at the very last minute.

In my head I picture a Board of Directors meeting something like:

"Well then it is agreed we are done with scion?"
"Yes, but what do we do with the plans for the 2017 models?"
"Oh just slap some Toyota badges on them and go with what we planned. We can come up with something else for next year"
"Oh ok"

Although many North Americans seem to think otherwise, Scion was a microscopic division of Toyota's worldwide operations and the FRS was just a tiny portion of Scion. As lucrative as the North American market may be they need to buy some time to decide and plan what they are going to do. This transitional version of the 86 buys them that time. I would think we should see some much nicer trim levels next year. Now of course their official statement back when they announced Scion's demise was "we will be considering more levels in the future" so maybe even 18 is optimistic. Only time and official press releases will tell.
Dadhawk (08-11-2016), leapoffaith_initial-d_frs (08-11-2016), URACK (08-12-2016), Zaku (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #2248
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
@Zaku (Won't let me quote)
"Yeah you're point on, I was hoping that Toyota would just do a GT trim for the whole world and just compete on the Limited Trim. But I guess they wanted to stick to the original strategy with something that's like a Premium and Under a Limited(basically just another FRS in the USA). At this point the 86 is just alittle more Lux than the Brz premium, probably in different seats, and trim pieces etc. Other wise it would be exactly the same, willing to bet it's within 1000$ margin of eachother. Maybe we'll see some sort of edition car next year with better stuff. Till then in my educated opinion, I think this Gen of 86 may not be successful as the FRS. But the BRZ will likely be steady with it's offerings."

The more tidbits of info we get the more I am convinced that the death of Scion was (contrary to usual industry standards) swift and unplanned. This left a group scrambling to make the changes that had to be done at the very last minute.

In my head I picture a Board of Directors meeting something like:

"Well then it is agreed we are done with scion?"
"Yes, but what do we do with the plans for the 2017 models?"
"Oh just slap some Toyota badges on them and go with what we planned. We can come up with something else for next year"
"Oh ok"

Although many North Americans seem to think otherwise, Scion was a microscopic division of Toyota's worldwide operations and the FRS was just a tiny portion of Scion. As lucrative as the North American market may be they need to buy some time to decide and plan what they are going to do. This transitional version of the 86 buys them that time. I would think we should see some much nicer trim levels next year. Now of course their official statement back when they announced Scion's demise was "we will be considering more levels in the future" so maybe even 18 is optimistic. Only time and official press releases will tell.
Yup, In the meantime if you don't feel like waiting. You can always go get a Subaru BRZ and be just as happy IMHO

Also new pics after some blog searches

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (08-11-2016), raven1231 (08-11-2016), URACK (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #2249
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Every time I see the front end of the new model, I am more revolted.
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinigami301 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-11-2016), Tcoat (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #2250
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Yup, In the meantime if you don't feel like waiting. You can always go get a Subaru BRZ and be just as happy IMHO

Also new pics after some blog searches

We will see what the future brings but at this point in time, if nothing changes by 2020 when it is time for me to change cars, if I stay with this platform, then my next one will be a BRZ. Now, I will have to get it wrapped in a decent colour and trade somebody for the pre facelift tails but I do like that front bumper way better.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #2251
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
We will see what the future brings but at this point in time, if nothing changes by 2020 when it is time for me to change cars, if I stay with this platform, then my next one will be a BRZ. Now, I will have to get it wrapped in a decent colour and trade somebody for the pre facelift tails but I do like that front bumper way better.
And if you don't stay with this platform, what would be your next?
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #2252
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Same here, I'm going to wait it out alittle to see the pricing. If not I might just grab a BRZ instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #2253
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
And if you don't stay with this platform, what would be your next?
I do not know. There could be loads of options in 2020. Or there could be none.
I am a bit of the odd man out here since I never followed nor lusted after an 86. I read about the development back in 2010 or so and then promptly forgot all about it until I almost literally tripped over mine when killing time in a Toyota dealership while waiting for my Lancer to be serviced next door. I bought the car and then came here and franticly started to research before I picked it up and signed a week later.
From 1997 to 2012 I was a die hard Mitsu fan so never considered anything else but when they pulled a fast one on Canadians with the 2012 Lancer GT models and dropped anything else that was not and econobox sedan, SUV or micro hatch I started looking for a replacement. I looked at Zes, Focuses, Darts, WRX/STis, Cameros, Challengers, Porsches and Genesis coupes trying to find what I wanted to replace that POS Lancer GT wannabe. I had pretty much settled on the Genesis when I happened to see a tC and decided to take a look which lead to the FRS.
Sooooo, what will I get in 2020? Not clue at this point but you can bet I have learned a whole pile about different options since being on here.
Boomerang (08-11-2016), xuimod (08-18-2016), Zaku (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #2254
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I do not know. There could be loads of options in 2020. Or there could be none.
I am a bit of the odd man out here since I never followed nor lusted after an 86. I read about the development back in 2010 or so and then promptly forgot all about it until I almost literally tripped over mine when killing time in a Toyota dealership while waiting for my Lancer to be serviced next door. I bought the car and then came here and franticly started to research before I picked it up and signed a week later.
From 1997 to 2012 I was a die hard Mitsu fan so never considered anything else but when they pulled a fast one on Canadians with the 2012 Lancer GT models and dropped anything else that was not and econobox sedan, SUV or micro hatch I started looking for a replacement. I looked at Zes, Focuses, Darts, WRX/STis, Cameros, Challengers, Porsches and Genesis coupes trying to find what I wanted to replace that POS Lancer GT wannabe. I had pretty much settled on the Genesis when I happened to see a tC and decided to take a look which lead to the FRS.
Sooooo, what will I get in 2020? Not clue at this point but you can bet I have learned a whole pile about different options since being on here.
Yeah, bit of a crystal ball question I know but 2020 may be a good year for;
1. Cheap R35's?
2. New Supra's?
3. New ?????

Can't wait
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard