follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
nice!! ive been researching ducts for the past several weeks trying to figure out all the different ways to get this done. thanks for the awesome pics and steps you took to do yours!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
ck-GT86

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S, MT
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
nice!! ive been researching ducts for the past several weeks trying to figure out all the different ways to get this done. thanks for the awesome pics and steps you took to do yours!
As a heads up, might want to start with a 1" wide template with the appropriate sized washer. Starting to feel like my duct is a little too big. The Evasive duct measures to the bottom of the Scion logo, whereas mine is a Toyota emblem which is much higher. It's symmetrical...just having second guesses

.ck
8R6 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #17
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck-GT86 View Post
As a heads up, might want to start with a 1" wide template with the appropriate sized washer. Starting to feel like my duct is a little too big. The Evasive duct measures to the bottom of the Scion logo, whereas mine is a Toyota emblem which is much higher. It's symmetrical...just having second guesses

.ck
If you end up making a duct with a rounded profile, the resulting hole will be smaller than the hole you cut because of the duct material.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
ck-GT86 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck-GT86 View Post

.ck
i got the toyota emblem too. thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
@mike the snake hmm....interesting...with data provided this might be just as good as the circle cuts on the OEM crashbeam?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what exactly does this mod do? more air flow to the intake? better cooling for the engine? better cooling for the oil? holes in the bumper are a point of drag which is why drag racers either use peices of sheet metal to cover everything or only put one hole (for an intercooler or the radiator) in the middle. im sure it doesnt make a difference but is this purely asthetic or does it help with something?
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
???
noob and expert

by doesnt make a difference i mean it probably doesnt make a difference in terms of drag
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #22
ck-GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
what exactly does this mod do? more air flow to the intake? better cooling for the engine? better cooling for the oil? holes in the bumper are a point of drag which is why drag racers either use peices of sheet metal to cover everything or only put one hole (for an intercooler or the radiator) in the middle. im sure it doesnt make a difference but is this purely asthetic or does it help with something?
I have no idea, you'd have to ask Evasive about their findings on the slits. I did it purely for aesthetics, little did I know it'd be a direct path to my modified snorkel.

Butt dyno, 2nd feels like it pulls harder. Its as though I got some bottom end back. I can't confidently say this is true since I've yet to dyno my 86.

When parked, I can feel heat coming out of these vents, I don't know what effect they'd have while in motion. This indefinitely can cause drag, my driving style doesn't seem to care.

.ck
Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #23
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
This car's engine bay is a sealed off oven. It sucks. Any type of venting straight into the engine bay is good. The fake side vents that people dremmel out seep out heat. these vents will help suck in cold air into an already hot engine, the best thing to do now, would be to cut vents in, or take off the skidplate on the bottom now for the air to escape.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #24
ck-GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
This car's engine bay is a sealed off oven. It sucks. Any type of venting straight into the engine bay is good. The fake side vents that people dremmel out seep out heat. these vents will help suck in cold air into an already hot engine, the best thing to do now, would be to cut vents in, or take off the skidplate on the bottom now for the air to escape.
I've already cut my side vents open for my Prova vents, functional too.

.ck
cdrazic93 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Even easier than cleaning up the cuts with glass, get some plastic j channel trim. It is a very small, flexible piece of metal coated in rubber that is used to protect things from sharp edges. You would wind up with about 1/4" of rubber trim running around the opening, it would be very clean looking provided you cut it to the exact length you need. I'll look for a link if you don't know what I mean.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
ck-GT86 (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #26
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobin For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (09-26-2014), Squishy86 (09-30-2014), Timmy_Jones (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
???
noob and expert

Quote:

Yeah these things run very hot which sucks. The hood seal and undercovers are a big factor. They do improve aerodynamics though so they aren't totally useless. You you think it's worth taking this off for autox or for track days?

For me, there is no glide in pulse and glide :p
Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #28
???
noob and expert

Quote:

Yeah these things run very hot which sucks. The hood seal and undercovers are a big factor. They do improve aerodynamics though and they keep the engine bay vey clean so they aren't totally useless. You you think it's worth taking this off for autox or for track days? The only real way to cool these cars down is with heat exchangers and actual vents in the good but do these nostrils need anywhere into a hole in the engine bay?

For me, there is no glide in pulse and glide :p

Tags
evasive motorsports, intake, intake duct, nostrils