follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #2381
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why does everybody think that just because they have taken their time with the headers, they have spent all this time on the development of it. I would be very surprised if I will see a ground braking header hitting the market. 2-3 extra hp won't mean shit in the whole scheme of things. There is no excuse for delays. I call it poor management.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #2382
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Not to mention the tune was crap included with it. That article was awful and they're a bunch of idiots. If you're basing Nameless off one article and not owning any of their parts and PROPERLY TUNING the car, then you don't really know what you're talking about and neither does R&T. Every header is shit without a good tune.

Yea every header is shit without a good tune. The tune is an integral piece.

So WTF is Nameless doing sending a crap Viscoti-hack tune to a major auto publication for review? Journalists expect the vendor to know what the fuck they are doing, Nameless embarrassed themselves.

How is nameless even evaluating these headers if their tuner is Viscoti?

As mentioned earlier in Japan HKS sells their header with their own flash device and tune (comes in one big box). IOWs they have their shit together.

Nameless explanation to this debacle reads " R&T told us to shit on the floor so we did." Sorry but a lot of us were expecting more from a company with a good rep like Nameless, they either dropped the ball or just aren't much interested in this platform IMHO.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #2383
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,349 Times in 4,129 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Spam
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
2point0 (10-17-2013), Calum (10-17-2013), chanomatik (10-17-2013), Sportsguy83 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2384
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

So WTF is Nameless doing sending a crap Viscoti-hack tune to a major auto publication for review? Journalists expect the vendor to know what the fuck they are doing, Nameless embarrassed themselves.

As mentioned earlier in Japan HKS sells their header with their own flash device and tune (comes in one big box). IOWs they have their shit together.

Nameless explanation to this debacle reads " R&T told us to shit on the floor so we did." Sorry but a lot of us were expecting more from a company with a good rep like Nameless, they either dropped the ball or just aren't much interested in this platform IMHO.
Their owner drives a BRZ. They are very interested in this platform, but they also support other platforms as well. The Nameless rally car is a testament to their dedication. I think the time crunch got the best of them this round. Every awesome product I've gotten from them has taken time.

Trusting Visconti with anything at this point is a massive mistake. I feel like he robbed our community and is a plague that just moves from platform to platform.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #2385
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I completely disagree.
While it's true that a tune can improve on the power delivery and get the best result from mechanical mods, a well designed manifold can improve performance without it.
The ECU has the capacity to change timing and A/F ratio to compensate for the improved flow.
The GT86/BRZ is a rare case in which a map can make a real difference, on most natural aspirated engines the auto-adjustment of the ECU is already enough to get the most of the mods.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #2386
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
So WTF is Nameless doing sending a crap Viscoti-hack tune to a major auto publication for review? Journalists expect the vendor to know what the fuck they are doing
Readers expect Journalists to know what the fuck they're doing as well. This "test" was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed.

Quote:
Nameless embarrassed themselves.
Quite a few people are embarrassing themselves in this thread. Nameless however, is not one of them.

Quote:
This header was sent to them almost a year ago, before Visconti had his falling out with the community. See Jason's quotes from the comment section for other clarifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless
"Want to make a few comments on this. Those are our company's parts and we offered to send the overpipe downpipe along with the Axleback exhaust but it appears they did not run it after it was sent along with a header they requested us to design, fabricate and deliver in 3 days door to door. So we took a shot in the dark with that header and sent a number of tunes to test with it that were between our full long tube race header tune and our short factory fit header"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless
The long and the short of it is that they didn't have the time to use any but the first tune sent which was for a header that allows much more aggressive tuning. No surprise the first setup was too rich and had to aggressive a cam timing. Life goes on.
Coming from someone who just said:

Quote:
You'd think that the significance of their only testing only one of the multiple tunes included would not be lost on you. Apparently that isn't the case.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (10-17-2013), Sportsguy83 (10-17-2013), Stevo22 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #2387
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus@Supersprint View Post
I completely disagree.
While it's true that a tune can improve on the power delivery and get the best result from mechanical mods, a well designed manifold can improve performance without it.
The ECU has the capacity to change timing and A/F ratio to compensate for the improved flow.
The GT86/BRZ is a rare case in which a map can make a real difference, on most natural aspirated engines the auto-adjustment of the ECU is already enough to get the most of the mods.

You will have to prove that adding any header with a crap tune is worthwile, I just don't see it. The key to a header tune is adjusting the vvt and spark and fuel profiles to eliminate the torque dip which is there in the OEM calib in part to deal with the manifold cat. Thestock ECU does not "learn" new vvt profiles. It also can't reduce the egr savaging.

Unfortunately its best to save for a header and a well matched tune. I think of this as a package.

With romradier and real open tuning just around the corner my guess is the most popular headers will be the smart buys as they will have the most developed shared tunes.

Headers and tune right now are a ridiculously expensive upgrade with the $1k tuning most places get. A year from now I think things will be much better.

Maybe nameless will get smart, drop viscoti, and include an open basemap from a good tuner with their header release.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #2388
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Why does everybody think that just because they have taken their time with the headers, they have spent all this time on the development of it. I would be very surprised if I will see a ground braking header hitting the market. 2-3 extra hp won't mean shit in the whole scheme of things. There is no excuse for delays. I call it poor management.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
This^

The header probably sat in a box for months at a time untouched while they threw wrx rally parts on a frs to mak a rally car (I still don't get that or why rwd rally cars are cool). Meanwhile the fanbois shout in unison "look at all the hardwork they are doing, and time they are taking doing R&D.

No... they are dragging their feet. This thread opened up on 6/19/2012. Taking out weekends and holidays that is roughly 380 work days. A header can be fabbed start to finish in about 4 hours and most shops average a 10 hour work day. That's time enough to design and fab 950 header revisions.

So no.. they are doing other things and not as focused as claimed.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Dimman (10-17-2013), Hawk77FT (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2389
Stevo22

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
Have you not seen Drift-Offices recent tune for a customer who purchased the HKS EL headers? They had impressive gains all through out the dyno..
Link me stat.
Stevo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #2390
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
To be honest most of the gains from a header are actually coming from the removal of the catalytic converter.

There is not going to be any magic design that makes way more HP that another. Some of you are putting Nameless on too high of a pedestal and are going to be very disappointed when the dyno numbers start showing up on the release versions of the headers.

In fact when I was chatting with Jason on the nameless website I expressed interest in a catted version of their header and he directly told me gains would not be impressive with a catted header and that I want to go with a catless header for good gains.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #2391
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know about you guys, but Nameless has always been good to me since I've had my car. Talk to them on the phone if you haven't, they're a great bunch. They get just as excited about new parts as we do as they are all car enthusiasts. They want to increase their operation as much as we want them to. I do agree though they get sidetracked with too many other projects.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
SlamHoggin69 (10-17-2013), xjohnx (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #2392
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
this thread is epic
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #2393
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
this thread is epic
it needs some epic thread tags to go along with it.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #2394
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
To be honest most of the gains from a header are actually coming from the removal of the catalytic converter.

There is not going to be any magic design that makes way more HP that another. Some of you are putting Nameless on too high of a pedestal and are going to be very disappointed when the dyno numbers start showing up on the release versions of the headers.

In fact when I was chatting with Jason on the nameless website I expressed interest in a catted version of their header and he directly told me gains would not be impressive with a catted header and that I want to go with a catless header for good gains.

This is how I see it, but add that removing the cat opens a window that allows tuning that the OEM's couldn't do.

I've been saying removing that heat scorching crap stock manifold cat should be priority one with these cars from day one for both performance and engine health/durability.

Frustrating that a year after buying the car there is no clear header without issues besides the too expensive HKS.

And a 4-2-1 EL may eventually prove worth while for those who want that last +5-10hp at the top end while still fixing the torque dip. Especially if someone is looking at cams down the road.

I just want to fix the torque dip, get the hot manifold cat out of my engine bay and fix the crappy stock tune at this point. But that's looking like over $2k which still too much.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag