follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #57
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Anyways, I call off topic on the clean car thing. Nothing to do with a car that makes me feel like it is not going to hang in for ten years with low repair cost.Lets move on.
I don't know where to begin with this statement. Who brought up that they don't even clean the car so proudly that they'd just restore rusting hulks of metal? Now when people call you out on it you retract it and say it's off topic.

How clean you keep the car has every correlation on how long it lasts. If a bird takes a shit on your car, you're not gonna do anything about it and let it corrode your paint? So you're just going to leave the salt there and let the surface rust mingle for a decade? Going to neglect rusted-through metal and live with water causing mold in the interior?

Take some pride in your belongings, they tell people more about you than you think. Your belongings in a sense do own you. You work to get it, you work to upkeep it. I'm not even going to comment on the part where you said you don't want to be mastered by your inanimate objects, or something to that effect.

If you wanted an appliance shit box that you never wash, it would have been more economically sound to buy a used mazda with proven 130k KM already on it. At least the problems you have now will be on a car that costs half as much, if not, less. Please rage quit elsewhere.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
ScionRacer (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Sorry but after reading your cynicism I just felt I had to attack. After all, most of us LOVE these cars and you sound like you bought it so you could kill it. Also, I find it hard to swallow the suggestion that a person who nurses old cars from the junk heap also makes sure the newer cars get there earlier. Please dont take it personally, otherwise I go to London to visit my mother-in-law regularly and we could always duke it out in front of Merla Mae.
You are absolutely correct about the irony of someone who won't wash a car with a car restoration hobby. I just picked up a new $500 Devilbiss paint gun, and have taken two weeks vacation so that I can get the Bugeye Sprite painted. This car was a mess when I started and will be better than new when finished. The good news here is that I will be donating it back to its original owner where I suspect it will be washed and waxed obsessively.

link to the Bugeye odyssey for those that like epic car projects: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/220366...healey-sprite/

For the rest of ya, can we just agree to disagree on the dirty car thing and try being polite?
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Laika (12-17-2012), Re_Invention (12-17-2012), Subie (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #59
ScionRacer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Quote:
I do not wash cars. EVER. I restore them from rusted hulks of oxide, I even paint them, but I quit washing cars when I realized that we have a limited number of hours in a lifetime. No payback. No fun.

It will last ten years. Just. Good enough for me. My point is that I dont think it will be in very good shape rust-wise by the end of the ten years. The underside of this car is a bid of a kludge in that it is messy and clutered. I see a lot of places where salt is going to shelter and do its work.

I do oil coat every year. Highly recomended.

My FRS has just over 6k and has exhibited none of the issues that everyone else seems to be complaining about. Im not worried about rust as I park it in the winter.Im glad I got one with all the "good" parts.

I bought 07' Wrangler 4D brand new in 2007.First of the JK wranglers.It was in the shop 2 times for the ECU,Once for the steering slip joint and once for a worn out brake line from the fender rubbing it.After the dealership worked out the bugs,i drove it for 4 years with no problems.I was not upset that the vehicle had so many issues.I knew "going in" that I was taking a gamble on first year production, but I really wanted the new body style.

..Hopefully they will sort out your issues and you will eventually be able to enjoy yours
ScionRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #60
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just because she is dirty does not mean shes not loved.
Its all about feeling good together. A little dirtiness does not hurt.. Some ladies just loves to be dirty... And they love to scream.. So you just tick the right boxes and let her have it. Use that stick and make her scream out loud. Make her sing like its the last day on earth! Once done.. sit back, relax, and take a breath.. you should smell the result of passion right there in the air! If you still have some rubber left, and shes up for another ride... Enjoy it once more..
But the imporant stuff are connection, trust and love.. just feeling one and secure.. Enjoying each others company..
..if there is trust issues.... Its hard to love each other in the long run. You either work out the trust issues or you move on..

..yeah... im talking about cars...

What where you thinking about, pervert?? This is a car forum!!

RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #61
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Which warranty? The pathetic(industry average) 36000 mile one that people like me will blow through in 26 short months? Or the other one that costs between $1500-$2000 and still only goes to 100k miles?

All that is fine for those of you who have no plans to keep the car beyond 5 years or 75000 miles. Those of us who buy cars to keep 7+ years should be very worried.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: anyone who buys one of these cars without a 100k warranty will almost certainly be making several $500 or $1000+ repairs after 36k and definitely before 100k.

This is NOT a Honda or a Toyota...realistically, neither Honda or Toyota are equal to themselves of the past. Have any of you seen the repair costs for the CEL issues(well over $3000)? Imagine that happening at 37000 miles. Fixing the taillights will be a $500+ job. The silly windows thing will be something needing fixed well before 100k.

Buy those warranties folks(haggle the price down), you're going to need them unless you are a leaser or a short term car flipper.
Poor choice of words, what I was referring to is recalls. That is always covered for damn near ever.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #62
NOHOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Just because she is dirty does not mean shes not loved.
Its all about feeling good together. A little dirtiness does not hurt.. Some ladies just loves to be dirty... And they love to scream.. So you just tick the right boxes and let her have it. Use that stick and make her scream out loud. Make her sing like its the last day on earth! Once done.. sit back, relax, and take a breath.. you should smell the result of passion right there in the air! If you still have some rubber left, and shes up for another ride... Enjoy it once more..
But the imporant stuff are connection, trust and love.. just feeling one and secure.. Enjoying each others company..
..if there is trust issues.... Its hard to love each other in the long run. You either work out the trust issues or you move on..

..yeah... im talking about cars...

What where you thinking about, pervert?? This is a car forum!!

Now THATS funny.:happy0180:

Good to see someone around here with a sense of humor.
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
RaceR (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #63
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
If the OP never ever washes his car it makes me wonder:

Does his lawn get mowed?
Does his house get vacuumed?
Are his clothes washed?
Fingernails clean?
Teeth brushed?

The interior of your car must be absolutely disgusting after awhile. Especially if you drink coffee/eat while driving. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think it would nearly as enjoyable driving a pig of a car. Sure there are people too extreme with the cleaning too but that's something else.

The only redeeming quality I could think of here is perhaps it will attract less envious people who tend to vandalize, ding doors etc.
believe it ,or not! your last paragraph is actually true!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #64
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
If the OP never ever washes his car it makes me wonder:

Does his lawn get mowed?
Does his house get vacuumed?
Are his clothes washed?
Fingernails clean?
Teeth brushed?

The interior of your car must be absolutely disgusting after awhile. Especially if you drink coffee/eat while driving. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think it would nearly as enjoyable driving a pig of a car. Sure there are people too extreme with the cleaning too but that's something else.

The only redeeming quality I could think of here is perhaps it will attract less envious people who tend to vandalize, ding doors etc.
Quote:
Sorry but after reading your cynicism I just felt I had to attack. After all, most of us LOVE these cars and you sound like you bought it so you could kill it. Also, I find it hard to swallow the suggestion that a person who nurses old cars from the junk heap also makes sure the newer cars get there earlier. Please dont take it personally, otherwise I go to London to visit my mother-in-law regularly and we could always duke it out in front of Merla Mae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
an underside tha looks like it will self destruct with salt all weigh on my mind when I am driving the car. All makes me wonder what the long haul has in store for me.
It seems logical that "washing" the underside of the car would help preserve the metal. Also consider undercoating if you drive in an area with alot of road salt.[/QUOTE]

a wise man!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #65
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar07 View Post
In this day and age, keeping a car for more than 5 years is just madness.
"bollocks!" ehe he he!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #66
NOHOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
It seems logical that "washing" the underside of the car would help preserve the metal. Also consider undercoating if you drive in an area with alot of road salt.
a wise man![/QUOTE]

I am going to figure that 75% of you guys have never seen snow, much less driven a car through a few winters. If you like pretty cars, stay out of the rustbelt.

What you MUST do every fall is oil spray the underside of the car with a nice thick waxy oil that gets all over everything. And you hope that it stays there. Good coat of dirt/dust actually helps solidify the stuff and anchor it in place. Both Krown and RustGuard do a decent job of this service.

So, now you want me to pay more money to wash off the stuff that is protecting the bottom of the car? That's also funny.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #67
Wattage

Drives: scion fr-s MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thats what I was thinking - if you get undercoating and then wash the underside of your car, are you not just washing away the undercoating?
Wattage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #68
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
When did u get your car? Is it one of the earlier builds?

Quote:
The light finally came on as to why this car is not as satisfying as I thought it would be. As much as the driving experience is everything I want it to be, I just don't trust the car. Just like with my MGB, I am always somewhat surprised when I make it back home and nothing has gone wrong.

Pschycotic traction/stability control, goldfish tailights housing, crunchy gearchanges, CEL lights, a DS window that does not seal when closed and an underside tha looks like it will self destruct with salt all weigh on my mind when I am driving the car. All makes me wonder what the long haul has in store for me.

The car reminds me of a pretty girl who is great in bed but I have no other use for.

Going to be interesting to see how the next 9.5 years play out
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Pschycotic traction/stability control
how do you figure?

I find it remarkably compliant and an absolute riot to play with. Maybe you should try to approach it more as a willing playmate that has opinions of its own rather than "a pretty girl who has no use outside of bed". Don't use it :p respect it.

Advice applies to women too, kids. Lol.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #70
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Just the opposite. With the economy still in the shitter the absolute most intelligent(as in beyond a shadow of a doubt obvious) thing to do would be to keep yourself out of unnecessary monthly payments.

One surefire way of doing that is to buy a reliable vehicle. You were kidding right? Either that or the biggest bill you've ever seen in your life was your XBOX Live account, no offense.
Your economy may be in the shitter, but its not quite as bad over here.

At 0-5% finance now days you can most definitely afford to buy a new vehicle every 3-5 years. Plus all the money thats being pumped into the car industry over the last 4-5 years would go to waste if people stop buying..but hey thats my opinion, do as you wish with your money.

No offense taken ol chap

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote