follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #2283
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
When is this car releasing?
I'm pretty sure the Brz will be out sometime September. I can't imagine the 86 would be out any later than November? Anyone have anything official? I want to test drive one.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #2284
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my guess would be on lot by end of OCT and reviews by early OCT, nothing official at least not yet

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #2285
ogrowup

Drives: Asphalt build in progress
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glad I bought a '14. Toyota has started down the road of tarting up these cars. The first gen will be classics like the original 240Z.
BTW I call mine a Toyota just because I got sick of explaining the whole Scion thing
"Hey what kind of car is that?"
"A Scion"
"I didn't know Scion made a car like that"
"Scion doesn't make any car, it's a Toyota brand and this is actually Subaru running gear, and a Toyota body... And on it goes. If I call it a Toyota it's a shorter conversation.
ogrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ogrowup For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-11-2016), Mr.Impreza (08-12-2016), nikitopo (08-12-2016), Tcoat (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #2286
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrowup View Post
Glad I bought a '14. Toyota has started down the road of tarting up these cars. The first gen will be classics like the original 240Z.
BTW I call mine a Toyota just because I got sick of explaining the whole Scion thing
"Hey what kind of car is that?"
"A Scion"
"I didn't know Scion made a car like that"
"Scion doesn't make any car, it's a Toyota brand and this is actually Subaru running gear, and a Toyota body... And on it goes. If I call it a Toyota it's a shorter conversation.
You want to live in a country where Scion didn't even exist until 2011 and a city that didn't have a dealer until almost 2013.
"What the heck is a Skeeon Eh?"
chaoskaze (08-12-2016), Mr.Impreza (08-12-2016), Zaku (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #2287
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
...BTW I call mine a Toyota just because I got sick of explaining the whole Scion thing...

I hear that. The wife’s first AWD Turbo was a Limited Edition, final production model 1994 (titled as a 1995) Plymouth Laser RS. Which of course was made by Diamond Star Motors who also built the Eagle Talon and the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #2288
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I hear that. The wife’s first AWD Turbo was a Limited Edition, final production model 1994 (titled as a 1995) Plymouth Laser RS. Which of course was made by Diamond Star Motors who also built the Eagle Talon and the Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Ya that was a fun one as well. I had a 91 Talon TSI AWD and it was a bitch trying to explain the linage and all the branches of that thing. Was even more interesting since Mitsu didn't even sell cars in Canada yet so most non car guys had never heard of them.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #2289
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Tarting up = adding more horsepower, improving handling, offering more performance oriented options, and adding a couple of buttons on the steering wheel.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #2290
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Tarting up = adding more horsepower, improving handling, offering more performance oriented options, and adding a couple of buttons on the steering wheel.
Practically an industry whore now
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #2291
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I read it more as tarting = sweetening.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #2292
Stodium

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
I keep going back and forth with the 86 or the BRZ, I just can't decide v.v
Stodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #2293
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stodium View Post
I keep going back and forth with the 86 or the BRZ, I just can't decide v.v
What is it that makes people want the 86/frs over the brz? I'm not trying to bash on the frs owners in any way, but I always saw the brz to be a better deal, but the frs outsells the brz by so much.

Is it because of the price difference or branding or looks? I do think that the refresh for both cars looks great =p
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:10 AM   #2294
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
What is it that makes people want the 86/frs over the brz? I'm not trying to bash on the frs owners in any way, but I always saw the brz to be a better deal, but the frs outsells the brz by so much.

Is it because of the price difference or branding or looks? I do think that the refresh for both cars looks great =p
Well it's hard to say for this generation the last one was different, most people liked the way it look it was new and it was advertised much more than the BRZ people didn't know BRZ came in two trims either and lots if people likes Scion Mono price. The BRZ is a better deal for people who can afford it, it's tough subject but lots of folks can't dish out monthly payments for a 29k car like a BRZ limited but they an justify the 25k that was the FRS. I. A way you can make the argument that the FRS is a good deal because price.

Now the 86 (2017) this is definitely something different, where a BRZ and FRS premium had minor difference. The 86 and. Premium BRZ ( speculating from Japanese BRZ spec) differs already in the interior. The Premium BRZ is like the last one mostly plastic and has the lower trim cloth seats ( ironically it's similar to the outgoing FRS seat or the same premium seat that was in it before. The 86 however has the highest trim seats from the last GT86 and the highest accent alcantara trim of the current GT86. You also get floormats and other little trinkets from the last top trim GT86. Soooo.... Yeah unless you're buying a limited BRZ you can make the argument that the 86 will be better than a premium BRZ in value if you care for a nicer interior.

It's very subjective if you like your interior like a WRX because that's the new BRZ interior it's basically the same as a wrx. The 86 interior however from my ecxpericd of being in both new cars, is way better than a FRS. I'm the end I feel that people would buy the 86 because well they don't know any better and it's a toyota. And or it's priced better than a brz limited and has more than a brz premium.

Hard to say but were getting close to having all the info soon,

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Oxyg3n (08-12-2016), raven1231 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #2295
Stodium

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Quote:

looks personally.
Stodium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stodium For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #2296
Tcoat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Well it's hard to say for this generation the last one was different, most people liked the way it look it was new and it was advertised much more than the BRZ people didn't know BRZ came in two trims either and lots if people likes Scion Mono price. The BRZ is a better deal for people who can afford it, it's tough subject but lots of folks can't dish out monthly payments for a 29k car like a BRZ limited but they an justify the 25k that was the FRS. I. A way you can make the argument that the FRS is a good deal because price.

Now the 86 (2017) this is definitely something different, where a BRZ and FRS premium had minor difference. The 86 and. Premium BRZ ( speculating from Japanese BRZ spec) differs already in the interior. The Premium BRZ is like the last one mostly plastic and has the lower trim cloth seats ( ironically it's similar to the outgoing FRS seat or the same premium seat that was in it before. The 86 however has the highest trim seats from the last GT86 and the highest accent alcantara trim of the current GT86. You also get floormats and other little trinkets from the last top trim GT86. Soooo.... Yeah unless you're buying a limited BRZ you can make the argument that the 86 will be better than a premium BRZ in value if you care for a nicer interior.

It's very subjective if you like your interior like a WRX because that's the new BRZ interior it's basically the same as a wrx. The 86 interior however from my ecxpericd of being in both new cars, is way better than a FRS. I'm the end I feel that people would buy the 86 because well they don't know any better and it's a toyota. And or it's priced better than a brz limited and has more than a brz premium.

Hard to say but were getting close to having all the info soon,
Well to start with they sold far more FRSs for the simple fact that they made more FRSs. We are not privy to either company's business plans but it seemed from the very start that Toyota was just that much more interested in selling their version. No doubt if Subaru had wanted to make more they would have but they just were not that interested. There are also about 5 Toyota/Scion dealers for every Subaru dealer in the US giving the FRS far more exposure to the casual buyer that just stumbled over the cars while shopping for something else or spotted it sitting on a lot. Would be a really bad business plan if every potential customer that stopped to look at an FRS was told "Oh ya and Subaru makes one as well but they have more options you should go look at them".

I can only speak for myself on the next point (but bet a pile of others agree) but I went FRS for two major things. First off, I wanted a bare bones car. I have no need for a bunch of doodads and gizmos so the fewer "convenience" or "luxury" items the better. The FRS came with the handful of things I do use and that was perfect for my needs. I also prefer cloth seats over fake leather for many reason. Secondly, although totally subjective I hated the look of the BRZ front bumper. It just did not flow. There was also the colour situation although that was not a deal breaker. If I was buying a 17 I would take the lowest level BRZ since they reworked the bumper to something I don't mind whereas the new 86 bumper makes me wake up screaming in the night.
Dadhawk (08-12-2016), darthpnoy1984 (08-12-2016), FX86 (08-12-2016), raven1231 (08-12-2016), Zaku (08-12-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard