follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #1177
Ezmarii

Drives: 2013 brz used
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I guess it can also be known as the flywheel! Or something really close to the flywheel... I'm not incredibly familiar with all the parts down there. They suspect the bolts were over-tightened when it was put back together.

It's about 40k miles and bought it about 20k miles used, and have done at least 3 road trips of 1500-3k miles round trip prior to the valve spring recall in the past 3 years, so I have no doubt it was the work done during the valve spring work when they had it in pieces, in case anyone was wondering! the road trip probably was a life saver forcing the stress/break to happen so soon after they did the work. I wonder what they'd be saying if this happened a year or three from now as opposed to barely 2 months out

Last edited by Ezmarii; 09-07-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: elaborated on car's current lifespan and previous driving history. and that they suspected overtightening during reassembly
Ezmarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #1178
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Flex plate?

What is that?
On a manual, the flexible coupling to take up misalignment between the crankshaft and input shaft is the clutch disk. The flex plate goes between the crankshaft and torque converter on an auto.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #1179
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
On a manual, the flexible coupling to take up misalignment between the crankshaft and input shaft is the clutch disk. The flex plate goes between the crankshaft and torque converter on an auto.
Ahhhh…….yes, ol Ultramaroon to the rescue, again, educating old humfrz.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #1180
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmarii View Post
MY 2013 limited BRZ auto

Had the valve spring work done in the 1st week of July. Put roughly 1k miles on it round trip in the last week of July for a road trip. After I got home, I only put about 7-10 miles on it a week (daily driver for work) Went on another road trip in the last week of August, another 1k round trip.

Some time during the drive home or within the day or two after, the noise started.

Noise: single or double metallic tap @ startup. while warming up, no abnormal noises. Once rpm drops <1k idle , slight metallic rattle timed perfectly with engine rpm sounds. If you rev up the engine at all, the rattle increases on tempo with the engine until it gets to about 1100-1300 and then it disappears.

While driving, if i take my foot off the gas and allow the car to coast down a hill, engine idles low enough to create the noise again. also can be heard at a stop light/stop sign.

The dealership was really busy this week, but after a week of no news they told me the flex plate is cracked and they can't prove if it was them or not while doing the recall work, so they're going to fix it w/ no charge.

Webster Groves Subaru @ Saint Louis

I will try to remember to update this if i hear anything else about it!
Stay on top of this. Mine had the same exact symptoms post recall servicing and I complained about it. They kept telling me it's a normal boxer tick. But in the 8 years driving this car, I have never heard that noise before. After back and fourth for about 3 months. 4000 miles later. My motor is now blown again for the second time since the recall. First time being about 500-700 miles after the service.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 AM   #1181
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
Stay on top of this. Mine had the same exact symptoms post recall servicing and I complained about it. They kept telling me it's a normal boxer tick. But in the 8 years driving this car, I have never heard that noise before. After back and fourth for about 3 months. 4000 miles later. My motor is now blown again for the second time since the recall. First time being about 500-700 miles after the service.

What dealer ? They fixing it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #1182
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
What dealer ? They fixing it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I normally wouldn't post the dealership but this time around, it looks like it's going to be the same rodeo. Just spoke to the Service Manager and he sounded like he didn't give a crap that the engine went. But it's Schaller Subaru in CT. The first time around I played patiently and they finally were proven wrong by a Subaru of New England rep and were told to fix this issue. This time around, I will be taking less crap from them. They obviously were not competent enough the first time around when doing the valve spring recall causing me to spin a rod bearing. Then told me the tech was more than knowledgeable in rebuilding the motor instead of replacing it. Now it has a worse rod knock than before and it sounds like something is just flying around in my motor and squealing. I will not let them try and "rebuild" my motor anymore at this point.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #1183
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Just received the following from @DJ72 . I don't know the context, conditions, scope, affiliation, or intention of the information I'm relaying in my post here. I'll ask that he reply with more info-

"My 2013 FRS with just 17,000 miles was just diagnosed with engine failure. There is a class action suit that is being put together by the law firm Carlson Lynch. Every case of engine failure had to do with oil starvation, which was a result of the JO2 recall. Please share this info with the board. I can’t figure out how to post it.

carlsonlynch.com
412-322-9243

Dave"
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (09-20-2019), Tcoat (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #1184
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Just received the following from @DJ72 . I don't know the context, conditions, scope, affiliation, or intention of the information I'm relaying in my post here. I'll ask that he reply with more info-

"My 2013 FRS with just 17,000 miles was just diagnosed with engine failure. There is a class action suit that is being put together by the law firm Carlson Lynch. Every case of engine failure had to do with oil starvation, which was a result of the JO2 recall. Please share this info with the board. I can’t figure out how to post it.

carlsonlynch.com
412-322-9243

Dave"
Be interesting to see how this plays out. Is the suit against Subaru? Toyota? Both? How will they deal with all the different dealers that actually screwed up?
Dadhawk (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #1185
Tcoat

https://carlsonlynch.com/scion-subar...ction-lawsuit/
Not sure if it is "class action" or just ambulance chasing lawyer.
mswbrz (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #1186
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Be interesting to see how this plays out. Is the suit against Subaru? Toyota? Both? How will they deal with all the different dealers that actually screwed up?
Yeah he's said so little that I'm skeptical. There's no telling under what conditions you could/would be supported, or how they could approach this equitably for dealers who stepped up to the plate vs dealers who turned failures away. Also, with the wide range of failure points, it'd be tough to encompass who had failure based on 1 specific error vs the tech making errors they would've regardless of the recall being part of this.

Honestly, it's not as though the recall caused issues - it's the engine design that relies so heavily on sealant. Can't blame Toyota and Subaru as a company just because the techs dealerships have hired aren't detail oriented enough to do this adequately.

At least it's more interesting than reading about how to cover trunk spoiler holes and wide wheel fitment, consider me engaged
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #1187
faidleyj1

Drives: 2018 Thunder Grey 86
Garage
I sent my sob story to Carlson Lynch using TCoat's link. I'll try to keep everyone informed.
faidleyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faidleyj1 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (09-20-2019), mswbrz (09-20-2019), Tcoat (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #1188
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Yeah he's said so little that I'm skeptical. There's no telling under what conditions you could/would be supported, or how they could approach this equitably for dealers who stepped up to the plate vs dealers who turned failures away. Also, with the wide range of failure points, it'd be tough to encompass who had failure based on 1 specific error vs the tech making errors they would've regardless of the recall being part of this.

Honestly, it's not as though the recall caused issues - it's the engine design that relies so heavily on sealant. Can't blame Toyota and Subaru as a company just because the techs dealerships have hired aren't detail oriented enough to do this adequately.

At least it's more interesting than reading about how to cover trunk spoiler holes and wide wheel fitment, consider me engaged
Yep. I just can't see a class action working in this case. There are just so many variables even if the end result was similar for many.
I can totally see individual action against a dealership that denied responsibly being effective and having a good chance of success. It would be the route I would take over an iffy class action against who knows who.
Dadhawk (09-20-2019), DarkPira7e (09-20-2019), DarkSunrise (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #1189
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faidleyj1 View Post
I sent my sob story to Carlson Lynch using TCoat's link. I'll try to keep everyone informed.
Thanks. With all the complaining I don't think we have heard from a single person that actually went the legal route. Don't say anything on here that they tell you not to though. You can bet that both Subaru and Toyota have had teams reading these threads as well as the Facebook stuff. Don't want to jeopardize your chances by some off hand remark..
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #1190
DJ72

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My 2013 Scion FRS with 17,000 miles had engine failure after the valve spring recall. The diagnosis was rod bearing break down due to oil starvation. It cost me $6,200. Toyota is well aware of the situation but is taking no responsibility. Toyota provided instructions to every dealer on how to perform the JO2 recall. Apparently, there was no warning about the sealant. The sealant dripped in to the oil, which led to the oil channels to become clogged. This led to oil starvation in these vehicles. There is a class action lawsuit. I spoke with the lawyer, Jim McGraw about the lawsuit today. Please spread the word. All of us should be reimbursed for this or covered if your motor has not broke down yet. Check out the drive.com.

Carlson Lynch, LLC
carlsonlynch.com
412-253-6359
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ72 For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (09-22-2019), mswbrz (09-20-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue