follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why the Kartboy short throw shifter sucks for me

Here is my story. It is my story - it may not be yours. You may not agree with my opinion - but that doesn't change my experience.

The Kartboy STS rattles like f*ck. It sounds like a ball bearing is stuck in a tin can. In my case, Kartboy sent out a new bushing saying "it can help".

I even had it installed by a shop since I didn't have time. The shop put a number of hours into trying to fix it. On 3 occasions. They even tried to fabricate additional items to stop the rattle. No such luck. They used tubes of lube.

Kartboy points finger at the installer. The installer is done.

It starts at about 5K rpms and by the time it is to 7 it sounds like the thing is going to self destruct.

Since I purchased it at the shop, the shop is going to refund the purchase price so I am in luck on that angle.

The stock shifter was dead quiet. I am going to be installing a TWM in the next couple of days. The Kartboy is going back. TWM swears theirs is rattle proof.

We shall see.

Oh - Kartboy swore this was an isolated incident to my installer. Here is the funny thing - I met another BRZ owner who wanted me to drive his car and diagnose a power issue. He had just purchased the BRZ. We jumped in and the shifter started to rattle with a familiar sound at 5K. I said "Is that a Kartboy shifter installed?" He said "yeah - the other guy installed it". 0-2.

Maybe these are older models. Maybe they have changed. Maybe your shifter is perfect. Maybe you drive with your stereo or muffler so loud you can't hear this.

In my case - I love the sound of my car. The sweet spot is between 5 and 7 k. This is where I like to be. And it is hell with this shifter rattle. Unbearable.

Ok - the end.

Last edited by Fastbrew; 07-22-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
calmtigers (07-22-2014), irxproductions (07-27-2014), raven1231 (07-23-2014), tigermack (11-05-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your definitely not the only one I heard of this issue.
It's been posted on the forums where the STS is hitting the aftermarket crankshaft as well.
I'm going to try my luck with TRD.

Give us your opinion on your new STS (;
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlitoz3 For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (07-26-2014), JohnJuan (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think I have the rattle with my Kart Boy SS as well, but I don't drive in the 5k ~ 7k range enough to look for the sound.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Squishy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Had the buzz as well. However, if you read F1Point4 thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31340

In post #6 he shows the stock shifter and Kartboy shifter side by side.
The key difference is the reverse lockout collar. You should notice there is a thick lower collar that is much narrower on the Kartboy shifter. The rubber shift boot connects to the stock shifter around this, and I believe this helps stop a lot of rattle coming from the reverse lockout collar as I cannot think of anything else with moving parts on the shifter that would rattle.

Either put some rubber bands on the lower portion or zip tie it tight to the shifter to take the resonance out and the buzz should be lessened. Or just get a fat heavy shift knob and that will help as well.

Not sure about crankshaft ... but the PST carbon fiber driveshaft does not hit the KB STS for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squishy For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I went through this dilemma myself. I was familiar with the Kartboy brand. But after reading about the issues, I settled on TWM, since they had a "patented anti-rattle" system or something. Same complaints. I found out about the Billet Pro Shop shifter... no different.

I have the TRD and am very happy. Every 86 owner who has sat in my car has considered getting one or has bought one already. There is a way you can get it for about $140 shipped too.

Sometimes the simplest solution works best. The three aforementioned shifters are hit or miss, some people have them and never had an issue.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
Fastbrew (07-22-2014), JohnJuan (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Never had an issue with my Kartboy. Loved it until the day I sold the car.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
Brinks

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've personally have never had any issues with any of katboys products on my other cars. This time around I went with TWM for my BRZ because I felt it had a better design and a little bit more weight to it. I also didn't want to lower the shifter position.

As of right now I have
TWM Short shifter
TWM rear stay
Twm Carrier bushings
Mtech springs*
White Line transmission stay bushing

Overall I'm happy with the shifter. It's a ton better. I don't care what people say I think the OEM setup feels like junk. As far as NHV goes there's a slight vibration when the car is in neutral and very little to no increase in noise.

Last edited by Brinks; 07-22-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
jason.h

Drives: Silver BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I installed one about 3 weeks ago and I have the same issue. At around 4-5k and all the way till redline the thing sounds like its going to explode. I cannot figure out what it is. I thought it was the reverse lockout spring at first but it doesn't appear to be.

I haven't contacted kartboy yet but maybe I should.
jason.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Mine rattled as well. They sent me a new one and that one rattles too. Oh well....
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Not sure this has anything to do with Kartboy, since every STS on the market does that. Even my TRD Quickshift kit (which keeps stock lever) rattles between 5k and redline, but it's faint. It also doesn't always rattle, think it might depend on engine load and gear, but haven't been able to figure out any sort of pattern. Doesn't really bother me, since the only time I'm ever at 5k-7k, the engine noise drowns out the rattle almost completely.

Anyone have a video of the Kartboy rattling? I'm curious how the noise compares to the TRD.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Fastbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
I went through this dilemma myself. I was familiar with the Kartboy brand. But after reading about the issues, I settled on TWM, since they had a "patented anti-rattle" system or something. Same complaints. I found out about the Billet Pro Shop shifter... no different.

I have the TRD and am very happy. Every 86 owner who has sat in my car has considered getting one or has bought one already. There is a way you can get it for about $140 shipped too.

Sometimes the simplest solution works best. The three aforementioned shifters are hit or miss, some people have them and never had an issue.
TWM was just installed by the shop - they called me - it rattles really loud as well. It looked freaking awesome. The end result - same issue slightly different sound.

They called vendor who swore it could not rattle - vendor says no way - send video. Shop is sending video now. Whatever.

I have asked the shop to pull everything but new front/rear stops and put the original shifter back in.

I might try the TRD later but for the moment - I am very much over the whole STS idea. Way to fail vendors.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
TWM was just installed by the shop - they called me - it rattles really loud as well. It looked freaking awesome. The end result - same issue slightly different sound.

They called vendor who swore it could not rattle - vendor says no way - send video. Shop is sending video now. Whatever.

I have asked the shop to pull everything but new front/rear stops and put the original shifter back in.

I might try the TRD later but for the moment - I am very much over the whole STS idea. Way to fail vendors.
To be honest, the stock shifter is really nice. All it really needs is the MTEC springs. That's the one mod I recommend for the shifter. Pentosin MTF2 was really nice too.

I don't have any rattles with my TRD. I do have an aluminum reverse lockout which I greased the hell out of though. That and the wail from the engine at 5k+ drowns it out, if it is there.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
Fastbrew (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Fastbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
To be honest, the stock shifter is really nice. All it really needs is the MTEC springs. That's the one mod I recommend for the shifter. Pentosin MTF2 was really nice too.

I don't have any rattles with my TRD. I do have an aluminum reverse lockout which I greased the hell out of though. That and the wail from the engine at 5k+ drowns it out, if it is there.
I love the sound of my engine / Nameless exhaust. It will sound even better after getting the AVO kit on this week. Nothing on my car rattles loud enough to be a distraction except these flipping shifters.

I will check into the springs/TRD later. I just want the car to be quiet while I test out the new HP etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by Fastbrew; 07-23-2014 at 08:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
JasperNoone
Banned

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitoz3 View Post
Your definitely not the only one I heard of this issue.
It's been posted on the forums where the STS is hitting the aftermarket crankshaft as well.
I'm going to try my luck with TRD.

Give us your opinion on your new STS (;
If your shifter is hitting your aftermarket crankshaft...you've got bigger issues than rattling.

You're referring the driveshaft and that was installer error.
JasperNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasperNoone For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (11-05-2014)