follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator install

NOT MY VIDEO!! Found it posted on a FRS forum, by some guy who randomly found it as well. BRZ club member made it. Thought it was helpful, thought I'd share here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGhsLELT40"]Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator - Unboxing, Install and Review - 2013 Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

Noticed the other forum name got censored, can we not share stuff like this?..
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xn7485 For This Useful Post:
Apex Chase (03-21-2013), cobrabyte (12-19-2012), whataboutbob (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
xn7485

Just finished the install myself, I would recommend all the tools in the video. I had all except breaker bar that would have been really useful breaking loose the AC Compressor bolts.

Would recommend removing serpentine belt off tensioner like they did in the video, it's almost impossible to just take it off the AC Compressor pulley as stated in Crawford's instructions.

I used a Dremel tool to shave off half an inch of the D4S cover. It makes it look a lot better than video's. Also used hose clamps, both of which looks a lot like @SleekMachine's pictures in the groupbuy thread.

Pretty straightforward install, video tutorial was spot on. Noticed no change at all while driving, but that's to be expected.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did you have any problems getting the 3rd nut of the ac compressor? The one thats in the back in the cramped space?

Mine won't budge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xn7485 View Post
Just finished the install myself, I would recommend all the tools in the video. I had all except breaker bar that would have been really useful breaking loose the AC Compressor bolts.

Would recommend removing serpentine belt off tensioner like they did in the video, it's almost impossible to just take it off the AC Compressor pulley as stated in Crawford's instructions.

I used a Dremel tool to shave off half an inch of the D4S cover. It makes it look a lot better than video's. Also used hose clamps, both of which looks a lot like @SleekMachine's pictures in the groupbuy thread.

Pretty straightforward install, video tutorial was spot on. Noticed no change at all while driving, but that's to be expected.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
xn7485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Did you have any problems getting the 3rd nut of the ac compressor? The one thats in the back in the cramped space?

Mine won't budge
Yeah a little, the bolts were pretty tight, but like I mentioned, find a breaker bar, leverage is key. Though I've forgotten how I got it out, I'm guessing I just put my back into it..

It's straight down on the block, so with an extension there should be no problems getting to it. Is the serpentine belt off?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeah the belt is off and I have 2 breaker bars here
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I have been unable to find the answer to this.

1. Does anyone have a cross section of the can?

2. Why would you want to dump the blow by oil back into the case when most of the time it is contaminated/burnt/with moisture mix.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
xn7485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
Yeah the belt is off and I have 2 breaker bars here

Can't say for sure now, maybe soak it down with some PB blast, and maybe find a compressed air impact wrench to use on it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I have been unable to find the answer to this.

1. Does anyone have a cross section of the can?

2. Why would you want to dump the blow by oil back into the case when most of the time it is contaminated/burnt/with moisture mix.
Both are kinda answered in this debate on this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17172
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Thanks posted in that thread.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
DyslexicHero

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey Guy's quick question. I just got the Crawford AOS and Ready to put it in. I'm new to boxer engines and working with belts. My Mazdaspeed 6 has a chain and I never had to take it off for any mods. Every thing seems really easy in the video posted above but i have a question about the belt tensioner. In the video it seemed quite easy to get it loose but how does it go back on. Does the tensioner just bend right back, and grab the belt when you place it back? any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
DyslexicHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyslexicHero View Post
Hey Guy's quick question. I just got the Crawford AOS and Ready to put it in. I'm new to boxer engines and working with belts. My Mazdaspeed 6 has a chain and I never had to take it off for any mods. Every thing seems really easy in the video posted above but i have a question about the belt tensioner. In the video it seemed quite easy to get it loose but how does it go back on. Does the tensioner just bend right back, and grab the belt when you place it back? any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Honestly...it goes on exactly as it comes off. You can move the tensioner with a wrench.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
DyslexicHero

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Honestly...it goes on exactly as it comes off. You can move the tensioner with a wrench.
Figured it out earlier. Thanks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
DyslexicHero is offline   Reply With Quote