follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #1947
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
OK. So I've had this behavior show up sporadically with every calibration file I've used since install - so I'm trying to figure out if it's mechanical or tune related.

Taking off from a stop in 1st gear, the RPMS will surge up and down on it's climb up, the car feels like it's bucking. I was lucky enough to capture this behavior in one of the logs I just recorded for Edelbrock.

See how the RPMS look like a sawtooth wave? This was actually fairly mild. It's been worse in the past.

It happens infrequently but enough that it's noticeable.

http://datazap.me/u/taiguy/log-14818...zoom=3041-3303
Clutch slipping? It totally looks like it.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #1948
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
On cold start Idle or when the car isnt 100% warmed up yet, I get a small rattling sound when i start off in first gear. It goes away once i hit 2nd and about 15 mph. Normal?
Where is the noise coming from? by the transmission? in the engine compartment? could be the fuel pump/rail since you need to take off the cover (very heavy and padded)

Quote:
I also hear what sounds like a whistling sound whenever i put in the gas. I assume this is normal but wanted to make sure. it's not the supercharger whine, that is very definitive and i can differentiate that sound from this one.
again, where is it coming from? I've noticed more of a tuning fork noise on the freeway, but I was told that was the diff.

Quote:
Also i have noticed the car seems to rev up a bit when i upshift. But i assume that will be dialed in when the tune is completed.
Nah, you're granny shifting, not double clutching like you should...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
Taking off from a stop in 1st gear, the RPMS will surge up and down on it's climb up, the car feels like it's bucking. I was lucky enough to capture this behavior in one of the logs I just recorded for Edelbrock.
Just curious, does it only happen during the morning or in the cold? I've been mentioning this "bucking" for a while now and only noticed it in the morning on my way to work but never in the afternoon, sometimes at night when the car has sat for several hours. Also, I've only noticed it in my DT tune and after several revisions and installing the d-box, the occurrence has dropped significantly, but still happens once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
I decided to go for it after my family came through and financially supported me (Christmas Gift). I am working with Neal to get the Delicious tune in the next week. Didn't realize there would be some after install refinement as part of the package, so that surprised me. Looking forward to it now.
Let me know if you're interested in a D-box.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Xxyion (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #1949
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Where is the noise coming from? by the transmission? in the engine compartment? could be the fuel pump/rail since you need to take off the cover (very heavy and padded)

again, where is it coming from? I've noticed more of a tuning fork noise on the freeway, but I was told that was the diff.

Nah, you're granny shifting, not double clutching like you should...
For the first issue if i had to pinpoint a location, it would seem like it's coming from the engine bay middle towards the rear.

Ok yeah its the same sound that you are hearing then ok cool.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #1950
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just curious, does it only happen during the morning or in the cold? I've been mentioning this "bucking" for a while now and only noticed it in the morning on my way to work but never in the afternoon, sometimes at night when the car has sat for several hours. Also, I've only noticed it in my DT tune and after several revisions and installing the d-box, the occurrence has dropped significantly, but still happens once in a while.
I think it's fair to say it happens more often than not when the car is still warming up. Still I'm curious what the root cause is.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #1951
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Awesome. I'm all for "learning by doing" as long as you are with people who know what they're doing .

How did you end up getting that extractor out? Just curious since I also saw your posts on FB.
Managed to just take it to a local performance shop and they were able to fix it.

I haven't driven the car much cause I am waiting on dbox to get here and finish tune. Probably next week the car does feel much more powerful though! I'm very happy with my purchase
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:15 AM   #1952
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Got the D-box installed today, simple 10 minute job.

Fuel trims sorted out by Zach at Delicious, now to get my dropping IAM ironed out and then the tune will be awesome.

IAM dropped to 0.35 last week on Costco gas, tried Mobil and the IAM stayed at 1.00 for a tankful before dropping to 0.64. Going to burn through this tank and try some Torco Accelerator to see if that makes a difference.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #1953
Randomfool

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I probably found the source of my leak. Of course it's the intake manifold gasket. When placing the supercharger on you have to be very careful, I thought I was but I think it got hung up a little on one of the AC lines.

Also a question. Should the line that goes from the back of the supercharger to the bypass valve be hose clamped? It comes already installed with no clamps. I'm not sure if it's at risk of blowing off at all? I did put zip ties on it just in case.
Randomfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #1954
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just did my first track day at Thunderhill today, the car ran great and was able to keep up and get ahead of most of the field (mostly WRX's and STI's). While I was there they had a mobile dynojet, so I figured I'd hop on between sessions.

The peak power is about where I was expecting, but theres definitely something wrong with the CARB tune from Edelbrock, looks like it's pulling timing I think. 91 octane, engine is stock other than the Edelbrock S/C and a JR dual radiator/oil cooler.
Attached Images

djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (12-19-2016), Lonewolf (12-19-2016), shiumai (12-21-2016), taiguy (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #1955
bshown

Drives: is300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Clutch slipping? It totally looks like it.
I've had the bucking issue since install also, that's similar to what my RPM graph looks like also. We have triple checked there are no vacuum leaks etc. I'll post up my log files when I get a chance.
bshown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #1956
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious, does it only happen during the morning or in the cold? I've been mentioning this "bucking" for a while now and only noticed it in the morning on my way to work but never in the afternoon, sometimes at night when the car has sat for several hours.
My hesitation/bucking occurs in the morning and afternoon - doesn't seem to make a difference. Happens when the engine is cold or hot. I'm hoping that more folk get logs to edelbrock that capture the issue.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #1957
mert34

Drives: 16 Brz.
well, installed it this past weekend. Instruction were slightly off in a few spots, nothing major just different bolt sizes then listed. One trip to the hardware store for two bolts that were not in the kit or listed in my parts list even though the instructions said there were provided. wish it wasn't winter so i could go data log it and get the tune tweaked.
mert34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #1958
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Edelbrock responded after seeing my latest logs and said

noticed the rpm fluctuation seemed to follow a sudden ramp in exhaust cam timing at a specific range in engine load

They've sent over a modified EOv3 calibration file for my to try and log. I'll get to it once the snow melts.

They have no idea right now why I'm returning 5-6 mpg less than most other people on 91 octane.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #1959
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone running the D-box?

The engine sputters and shakes (like misfires) when first starting up for about 5 seconds before steadying. I noticed this on the very first startup after installation but I am able to replicate this by letting the car sit overnight or at least 8-10 hours.

The D-box has the latest firmware as the previous owner sent it to Delicious directly.

If this is normal, then I'm going to remove the D-box entirely.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #1960
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Anyone running the D-box?

The engine sputters and shakes (like misfires) when first starting up for about 5 seconds before steadying. I noticed this on the very first startup after installation but I am able to replicate this by letting the car sit overnight or at least 8-10 hours.

The D-box has the latest firmware as the previous owner sent it to Delicious directly.

If this is normal, then I'm going to remove the D-box entirely.

I don't have that issue with my Dbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote