follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automatic Transmission Cooler

There are a few universal trans coolers out there. I don't know of anyone making a BRZ/FRS specific cooler yet.

My question is... Are there easily accessible taps/fittings where a cooler can be installed in-line?

If the transmission is sealed and has only a drain plug and a fill plug.. i'm in trouble.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think either way, you'll need to get under your car and see/confirm if there are lines coming out of it.

Theoretically the FR-S/BRZ should have a line leading into the radiator for the automatic transmissions. This helps the transmission fluid get to operating temperatures as well as ensure that it stays in the operating temperature range.

However... When doing a quick research, I searched for the Koyo radiator. It SEEMS like there is no difference between the manual transmission radiator and automatic radiator. Which could mean a couple things.

1. The AT fluid is not ran through the radiator at all.
2. The MT fluid is also ran through the radiator.

From my own knoledge this was the difference between the automatic transmission tC1 vs. the manual transmission tC1.

What this could mean is that the transmission is a sealed unit. Or it could mean that TRD or w/e is going to develop their own transmission oil cooler. No idea.

Best way to check... is to get under the car and see if there are any lines running out of the transmission.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
^Aftermarket radiators are usually MT unless otherwise stated; I know most WRX radiators were "not for AT" because they didn't have a place to cool the AT fluid, like the stock WRX AT radiator did.

The factory service manual shows the below as the oil cooler assembly for the TX6A automatic transmission. The unit appears to be a piece entirely separate from the radiator, thus radiators shouldn't be different between models (you'd think). The oil cooler is accessible once removing the No.1 and No.2 engine covers. I would add an aftermarket (Long Tru Cool; highly recommended line of coolers) unit in series with the stock unit such that you're not over-cooling, since AT vehicles usually have some functionality reduced until they reach proper temp.
Attached Images

OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
skye67 (02-01-2015), Tye300 (11-01-2013)
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanks Orbital!

I also found some additional info after you mentioned the Trans model number. The part in red will be a pita.

Quote:
Automatic Transmission: TX6A

This transmission is a 6-speed super ECT multi-mode automatic transmission equipped with paddle shifters, other features include:
-Pattern select switch (SPORT/SNOW mode)
-Flex lock-up control
-Blipping downshift Control
-ATF warmer

Fluid level will not be able to be service without toyota special service tools and toyota specific operating conditions

Fluid will be inspected every 30,000 miles or 30 months and will be replaced every 60,000 miles or 60 months and uses Toyota Specific World Standard fluid with capacaties of 7.9 quarts
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
370Z is like that you can only check the fluid at certain temperature, its a pain to do the trans service.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Thanks Orbital!

I also found some additional info after you mentioned the Trans model number. The part in red will be a pita.
All automatics are like that. Let me find you a link on how to do a Subaru 4EAT, any automatic should be similar.

HERE. The main ideas should be the same: intercept the fluid at a point, don't let the trans run dry or swallow air.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
RYU (10-21-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is the auto like other autos where you can do drain and fills to clean most of the fluid if you don't have special equipment?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If it's water cooled then add a Koyo Radiator to insure increased temperature stabilization or add an oil cooler to the engine to reduce the demand on the water cooling system, either of these make sense?
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
noob question: does the AT only have a warmer but not a cooler??? That doesn't make sense... What is the reason to want an aftermarket ATF cooler if there is already an oem atf warmer/(cooler?)
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
When making quite a bit more then stock power, lets say 300 whp, the amount of heat that is generated goes up. Well the cooler / warmer is only designed to remove heat to a certain point then after that it becomes quite a bit less efficient. As you are pushing things well out side of its factory operating range adding a cooler helps keep things at the proper temperature as the system was not designed to deal with as much load. Basic answer.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
autobrz (11-14-2013)