follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #505
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Confirmed:
Greddy EVO GT does not fit

Confirmed:
JDL D2 Catback fits

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex-Apex For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (07-03-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 03:01 AM   #506
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Installed the JDM underbody panels this weekend. Figured out a very simple way to get them installed cleanly with the rear diff covers.

Technically, if you are lucky, all that is needed outside of all the hardware Velox provides is a 3/8" drill bit.

This assumes you still have 2x of the longer BHCS available that Velox provides. If you are using all of them - see if there is a spot where you can put back two of the shorter BHCS so you can steal them (I was able to do this at the rearmost part), or you'll need to get two more M6 bolts of the same length.

You'll also need to dig up the stock hardware you removed from the car during the diffuser installation:
- 2x rear push clips that were removed from the rear bumper
- 2x bolts that held the e-brake cables in place

Here's step by step from memory:
  1. Remove the two forward most bolts for the diff covers - the one that goes into the metal bracket Velox provides, and the one that goes through the large white nylon spacer that holds the e-brake cable.
  2. Let the panel hang down, and reinstall the OEM bolt for the e-brake cable.
  3. Install the JDM panel that covers the gas tank by only installing the two push clips provided for it.
  4. Pull down gently on the JDM panel and slip the metal bracket over the stud where it normally goes, under the JDM panel. Push the JDM panel back over the stud and into place.
  5. Loosely install the nuts for the JDM panel.
  6. Get your BHCS/washer/nut/long nylon spacer ready, push the Velox panel up into place and put it together like such: BHCS/washer/panel/spacer/bracket/nut - just hand tighten the nut for now.
  7. Now take your drill with the 3/8" bit and drill a hole through the JDM panel where the Velox panel is overlapping with it. You're reusing the existing hole in the Velox panel so you are only drilling into plastic - very easy.
  8. Push the bumper clip into the hole to secure the panel.
  9. Tighten up the nuts on the JDM panel and the BHCS/nut.
  10. Repeat for the other side.

Pictures:

The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
sato (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #507
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That uncovered middle arc with shaft & exhaust sticks out a bit. Would be nice to see that covered aswell. And then one complete set with diffuser, all the covers for slightly cheaper then parts alone
Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #508
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I installed mine this past weekend. It's only been sitting in my garage for a year...

I put the diff covers behind the underpanels instead of over them like @johan though.

IMG_20160702_163050 by Morgan D, on Flickr

I ended up slightly bending the raised lip on the leading edge of the diffuser to fit the OEM exhaust. I may be switching up the exhaust that's on there, so I didn't want to cut it now and have a gaping hole for later.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #509
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
I installed mine this past weekend. It's only been sitting in my garage for a year...

I put the diff covers behind the underpanels instead of over them like @johan though.

I ended up slightly bending the raised lip on the leading edge of the diffuser to fit the OEM exhaust. I may be switching up the exhaust that's on there, so I didn't want to cut it now and have a gaping hole for later.
I put them below because I was worried that a step like that would cause flow separation. Eric can chime in here, but I think the mounting for the Velox panel was designed so it was flush with the stock underbody - to keep there from being any adverse pressure gradient. Now when you add the JDM under panels, you've changed the height of the underbody, and you'd want the diff panels to be on the same plane as the JDM panels to keep everything copacetic.

At least that's my theory based on my little bit of aero knowledge.

** waits for @VeloxEric to appear to set the record straight. **
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-05-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 AM   #510
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
I put them below because I was worried that a step like that would cause flow separation. Eric can chime in here, but I think the mounting for the Velox panel was designed so it was flush with the stock underbody - to keep there from being any adverse pressure gradient. Now when you add the JDM under panels, you've changed the height of the underbody, and you'd want the diff panels to be on the same plane as the JDM panels to keep everything copacetic.

At least that's my theory based on my little bit of aero knowledge.

** waits for @VeloxEric to appear to set the record straight. **
We're talking about a very small change in the overall performance of the unit, likely immeasurable difference going around the track from one way to the other.

Technically, we would recommend installing the diff/suspension covers above the JDM panels. Below would cause turbulence; but again, it likely doesn't matter one way to the other nor are we able to test this in CFD because it would likely be immeasurable there as well. Above would be better intuitively to us though.

We were quite impressed with the ability of the rear diffuser to exhibit attached flow on my car when we did some more real world testing recently. The below photos are with the diffuser installed at the lowest position with no diff/suspension covers installed. We expect to see even better flow attachment when I get some diff/suspension covers installed again. My MPG definitely dropped when I remove the suspension/diff covers when I installed the Type 80.

Thanks,
Eric
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-06-2016), G-awesome (07-06-2016), johan (07-06-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #511
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Ignore
Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #512
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got halfway though my diffuser install and noticed I was missing the U brackets in the hardware bag

Waiting to see how long it will take to get replacements from ft86speedfactory
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
Old 07-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #513
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Got halfway though my diffuser install and noticed I was missing the U brackets in the hardware bag

Waiting to see how long it will take to get replacements from ft86speedfactory
Check the box, they aren't in the hardware bags always. This would be the first instance of this so please double check. Should be wrapped in foam.
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
DJCarbine (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #514
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Check the box, they aren't in the hardware bags always. This would be the first instance of this so please double check. Should be wrapped in foam.
Going through the packing peanuts again to see if I missed it

::edit

Got everything sorted out thanks to VeloxEric. Going to order the diff/suspension covers in the future for sure.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF

Last edited by DJCarbine; 07-16-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #515
DatGoodBRZ

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the front splitter fit the Varis widebody?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #516
Ashikabi

Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGoodBRZ View Post
Does the front splitter fit the Varis widebody?
I'm guessing worst case scenario you'd have to put some holes in the new front bumper and maybe mod the grill if you wanted the race upgrade. I don't see why it couldn't be "made"to fit

Last edited by Ashikabi; 07-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #517
DatGoodBRZ

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I dont know about the durability of the Varis splitter. I want a functional splitter vs one for looks which is what i have on to protect the CF lip. I know my bumper is lower than stock and sticks out further forward. This is the reason why i ask because i want to order but i am worried it wont work.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #518
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGoodBRZ View Post
I dont know about the durability of the Varis splitter. I want a functional splitter vs one for looks which is what i have on to protect the CF lip. I know my bumper is lower than stock and sticks out further forward. This is the reason why i ask because i want to order but i am worried it wont work.
Just an FYI, this is the diffuser thread, which we refer to as the sheet metal component on the rear of the vehicle.

I do not believe that the splitter will bolt directly onto the Varis bumper. Ours was designed around use with the OEM bumper. It would require work to make it fit.

Thanks,
Eric

Closed Thread