follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #85
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Kuya, (Guess)

There is no way you can get a single din in there if you don't cut the metal. Only bit of advice I can give is that you don't cut to much out because when you put everything back together the side should pinch the headunit in place. My dash flexes a little bit so slides out about half an inch.

I'm not sure if my setup is getting engine noise because I'm having a ground issue but I did try to ground the shit out of it. Unfortunately the headunit will be sitting right on top of the airbag module (loads of electronics).

If you need anything let me know I'll help as much as possible.

Regards,

Sam
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaXimus For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-05-2017)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #86
sinigang_guy

Drives: argento frs; 90 mustang gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus View Post
Hi Kuya, (Guess)

There is no way you can get a single din in there if you don't cut the metal. Only bit of advice I can give is that you don't cut to much out because when you put everything back together the side should pinch the headunit in place. My dash flexes a little bit so slides out about half an inch.

I'm not sure if my setup is getting engine noise because I'm having a ground issue but I did try to ground the shit out of it. Unfortunately the headunit will be sitting right on top of the airbag module (loads of electronics).

If you need anything let me know I'll help as much as possible.

Regards,

Sam
yup, salamat..

there's kinda a way around it. there are a few head units that are about 4" long. from the opening to the metal bracket, its about 4.5".

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/dsx-a30
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7Dy16b9...C-KD-X200.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eJToKYk...-KMM-100U.html

or for the bluetooth variety, these two:

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/dsx-a50bt
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss-625UAB.html

these are head units that about fit in the compartment near the shifter. i went with the boss 625uab, mainly for its bt feature. also got the following aux cable that will hopefully route underneath the hu and into the nexus.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-AUX6FBK-Flat-Aux-Cable/dp/B007LGQ7J4"]Amazon.com: Scosche AUX6FBK Flat Aux Cable: Electronics[/ame]

just need to find a good way to mount the tablet onto the dash panel somehow.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #87
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for the links!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #88
sinigang_guy

well, finished the install and pretty satisfied. not as clean as dezoris, but functional. i ended up abandoning the boss head unit and got the same jvc system as dezoris. needed to trim off excess to the panel and removed the original usb/aux input bracket. instead, i put the mic and the second usb source from the head unit there.

all in all, similar build, but flashed timurs rom on the n7 and can use a usb hub and charge at the same time. also, gap will remain since im able to control the head unit if angled properly. i can post pics if interested..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #89
ike44

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinigang_guy View Post
well, finished the install and pretty satisfied. not as clean as dezoris, but functional. i ended up abandoning the boss head unit and got the same jvc system as dezoris. needed to trim off excess to the panel and removed the original usb/aux input bracket. instead, i put the mic and the second usb source from the head unit there.

all in all, similar build, but flashed timurs rom on the n7 and can use a usb hub and charge at the same time. also, gap will remain since im able to control the head unit if angled properly. i can post pics if interested..
Pics!

Here is mine, though for some reason the mic of the stereo unit behind doesn't work so I cant use hands free for the time being. Also like you said, that gap lets me control the stereo. I would like to close it though(I think the new N7 is a little bit taller, which might be perfect). I wonder what we can do to control the stereo and have the gap closed. Also, the new AOSP roms have that status bar brightness control so you can easily change the brightness in whatever app you are in.

I also used black cloth to cover the sides so you cant see all the stuff behind it

ike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ike44 For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-05-2017), Dezoris (09-06-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #90
sinigang_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike44 View Post
Pics!

Here is mine, though for some reason the mic of the stereo unit behind doesn't work so I cant use hands free for the time being. Also like you said, that gap lets me control the stereo. I would like to close it though(I think the new N7 is a little bit taller, which might be perfect). I wonder what we can do to control the stereo and have the gap closed. Also, the new AOSP roms have that status bar brightness control so you can easily change the brightness in whatever app you are in.

I also used black cloth to cover the sides so you cant see all the stuff behind it
i like the fabric where the gaps are.. might steal that from you

as for controlling the hu, ive thought about using the pac ir repeater and sticking it where the mic/usb iputs are. check this link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5258_PAC-IR-X.html

the new n7 is taller and slimer than the 1 gen, but the dev for the rom im using doesnt have any plans to port to the 2nd gen. ive a usb connected to a hub, connected to an otg y cable for simultaneous charging. having these alone is enough for me to stick with the 1st gen.

also, check out the tasker app. as the display turns off, music pauses. as it charges and screen is on, music resumes. same app for my phone. once its connected via bt on the hu, tethering turns on. as soon as it disconnects, tethering turns off and wifi set to turn on again. great app and worth the few bucks!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #91

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
How about ditching the Head unit altogether and buying a cheap Digital to Audio converter with a inbuilt volume knob which is roughly the same dimensions as the storage compartment under AC controls. You take audio from USB (lossless) straight to the DAC then to amp/speakers. That way you dont have to go through the rubbish inbuild DAC in the nexus. You get a non tacky way of controlling the volume and no cutting of any interior panels were made.
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 504 For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2017), Massdrop (08-12-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #92
ike44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinigang_guy View Post
i like the fabric where the gaps are.. might steal that from you

as for controlling the hu, ive thought about using the pac ir repeater and sticking it where the mic/usb iputs are. check this link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5258_PAC-IR-X.html

the new n7 is taller and slimer than the 1 gen, but the dev for the rom im using doesnt have any plans to port to the 2nd gen. ive a usb connected to a hub, connected to an otg y cable for simultaneous charging. having these alone is enough for me to stick with the 1st gen.

also, check out the tasker app. as the display turns off, music pauses. as it charges and screen is on, music resumes. same app for my phone. once its connected via bt on the hu, tethering turns on. as soon as it disconnects, tethering turns off and wifi set to turn on again. great app and worth the few bucks!
I glued velcro to the dash piece and then ironed on the opposite velcro to an old black t-shirt. It was a little easier to just do one big piece of fabric.

What audio player is that in your pic?

Did you do any shaving to the bottom of the dashpiece to make it sit more even with the top and bottom?

Question- whats with the usb hub support of the timur rom? What are you connecting to it other than power? I have power into the usb and then audio is sent to the stereo via the 3.5mm jack. Am I missing out on something?

I am using a fastboot mod that automatically turns on the n7 when power is detected (car turns on). As you can see in the bottom right of my first picture, there is a little power button. I have a tasker profile that turns off the tablet when I hit it. That was I can use the tablet even when the car is off and I dont have to worry about the battery running out by keeping it in sleep mode. More info about it here and here

Also, I have another tasker profile on my phone that turns on the hotspot (n7 is the wifi only version) when it is connected to the stereo via bluetooth. pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
How about ditching the Head unit altogether and buying a cheap Digital to Audio converter with a inbuilt volume knob which is roughly the same dimensions as the storage compartment under AC controls. You take audio from USB (lossless) straight to the DAC then to amp/speakers. That way you dont have to go through the rubbish inbuild DAC in the nexus. You get a non tacky way of controlling the volume and no cutting of any interior panels were made.
Good ideas. The main reasons why I am hesitant to ditch the stereo is:
1. Loss of fm radio (though there is probably some app that lets you get fm, sprints data coverage sucks nuts)

2. Loss of bluetooth calling and such, unless there is some way to route calls from your phone to the n7. This one is pretty big to me.

While lossless audio is nice, I honestly wouldnt get much of a benefit from it with the stock speakers. If I ever decide to upgrade them, I will definitely look into the DAC.
The Following User Says Thank You to ike44 For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2017)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #93
sinigang_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike44 View Post
I glued velcro to the dash piece and then ironed on the opposite velcro to an old black t-shirt. It was a little easier to just do one big piece of fabric.

What audio player is that in your pic?

Did you do any shaving to the bottom of the dashpiece to make it sit more even with the top and bottom?

Question- whats with the usb hub support of the timur rom? What are you connecting to it other than power? I have power into the usb and then audio is sent to the stereo via the 3.5mm jack. Am I missing out on something?

I am using a fastboot mod that automatically turns on the n7 when power is detected (car turns on). As you can see in the bottom right of my first picture, there is a little power button. I have a tasker profile that turns off the tablet when I hit it. That was I can use the tablet even when the car is off and I dont have to worry about the battery running out by keeping it in sleep mode. More info about it here and here

Also, I have another tasker profile on my phone that turns on the hotspot (n7 is the wifi only version) when it is connected to the stereo via bluetooth. pic
im using apollo. the google music app doesnt recognize the 32gb usb in the hub. the screen you see is the audio glow live wallpaper: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...udioglow&hl=en

yeah, i took a bit off the bottom and actually took the top clip off, as well as shave some of the ridges along the top. the panel still fits securely.. wish i took more pictures.

as for timurs rom, i like the functionality of being able to plug in more than one usb. id like to get rear camera going using a webcam. here's a link to another n7 dash build. its the 3rd vid down: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2113259
still doing research if its possible to get a dvb tuner to play ota tv programs.. would be cool:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1841759

nice, looks like weve similar profiles on tasker. love that app and especially helpful with this particular build.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #94
Tee

Drives: Subaru BRZ
My friend is installing this setup with the new Nexus 7 and installation went off without a problem. Now, its over heating while in the car, probably due to heat of the car while parked in the sunlight (and maybe even heat from the engine?)

Have any of you heard of this or had this problem, and if so what kind of remedies did you come up with?
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #95
ike44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
My friend is installing this setup with the new Nexus 7 and installation went off without a problem. Now, its over heating while in the car, probably due to heat of the car while parked in the sunlight (and maybe even heat from the engine?)

Have any of you heard of this or had this problem, and if so what kind of remedies did you come up with?
I have regular sun shades that I put in the windshield when its out in the sun. I also put a regular wash cloth over the headunit to help with late-day sun through the windows and as a mild anti-theft device until I can think of something better.

Even with both of those up, the tablet can still get realllly hot. Hasnt crapped out on me yet though.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #96
dohiedoh

Drives: 2013 scion FR-S

weekend project
NEXUS 7 2013
dohiedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dohiedoh For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #97
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohiedoh View Post

weekend project
NEXUS 7 2013
Nice! I did something similar this weekend with the 2012 nexus 7. Used Asus dock and mounted it to the lower lip of the radio trim. Wired up an inverter and powered USB hub and voila! I will post up some pics over the next few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #98
sinigang_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohiedoh View Post
weekend project
NEXUS 7 2013
nice! did you have to contend with the bar everyone mentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel67 View Post
Nice! I did something similar this weekend with the 2012 nexus 7. Used Asus dock and mounted it to the lower lip of the radio trim. Wired up an inverter and powered USB hub and voila! I will post up some pics over the next few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
i think the 2013 model fits better with it being slimmer and taller than our version. also thought about using the dock, but didnt think itd have enough room, even after gutting.