follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #29
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

I look forward to plotting the roll center and looking at in relation to the COG. Might be fine but it looks like slamming the car isn't going to be a good idea if you care about handling and don't do anything about the roll center. And who knows how much travel it has.

Just let the hellaflush guys do their thing.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
Crashoverride
here, there, any where

Drives: FR-S SOON!!!
So an aftermarket\factory TRD kit, the STI(4pot)\TRD(6pot) brake upgrade and possiblly an aftermarket supercharger?...damn
Crashoverride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #31
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashoverride View Post
So an aftermarket\factory TRD kit, the STI(4pot)\TRD(6pot) brake upgrade and possiblly an aftermarket supercharger?...damn
If I can get a deal I will offer the STI brembo package :happy0180: ...working on it

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #32
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
If I can get a deal I will offer the STI brembo package :happy0180: ...working on it
Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead? I only ask that since they retail for $1000 cheaper than the Brembo and I have heard that they are just as good and Brembo is $$$$ because of name.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
JDLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead?
I could look at aftermarket as well (makes no difference to me) I just have a more OEM contact vs aftermarket (but it can go both ways I guess just have to ask)

Old 12-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #34
tranzformer

Well if you have an OEM contact then stick with that for sure. I will probably use the stock brakes until they need to be replaced and then see what the aftermarket is offering at that time. But I'm sure there will be many wanting to switch from stock right away.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #35
JDLM

Quote:
Well if you have an OEM contact then stick with that for sure. I will probably use the stock brakes until they need to be replaced and then see what the aftermarket is offering at that time. But I'm sure there will be many wanting to switch from stock right away.
Yeah I am "following a plan" that another site does

They offer OEM replacement parts (ie: M parts for non-M BMWs) they bundle them and sell them off as a package and it is a tad cheaper this way.

I will also be doing Group Buys from the UK (I have a contact there I have had for 10 plus years) and he knows about cars and the GT86 so huge for me.

GB's are easy, the more people we have the lower the price plus shipping/duties/

Very familiar to me and I don't mind doing it

I have a facebook started and working on a website and domain

Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #36
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Cool. 14in front and 13.1in rear? Any reason not to go with Stoptech instead? I only ask that since they retail for $1000 cheaper than the Brembo and I have heard that they are just as good and Brembo is $$$$ because of name.
Those aren't 04 STI Rotor sizes.... 12.4" front IIRC.. forgot the back.

You guys really think you'll need that large (14") of a heatsink? For street driving? Or are we talking looks here?

Stoptech does make some great products though.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #37
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

You guys really think you'll need that large (14") of a heatsink? For street driving? Or are we talking looks here?

What size wheels would you need to accommodate 14" rotors and calipers? I'm assuming the standard 17" wheels would work for the 04' STI 12.4" rotors?
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #38
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The OEM BBS's fit and some aftermarket 17's as well, but not all. 18's will definitely clear.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #39
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpike View Post
There are companies such as 6gun Racing which used to sell machined 5x100 knuckles adapted to fit 5x114 hubs, but they were >$1k. I think 6gun is even out of business now, so you can't get them anymore.

...These hubs have problems with premature bearing death, especially when autocrossed...
Those two statements are true. However LIC and a few other places still do/have done the hub machining. I know LIC charges like $1k for it thought.

I suspect we'll see something coming from Turn In Concepts and/or MSI on this issue, not that I'm going to press for it or anything

I'm wondering how cross compatible the STI components are. I imagine a GR rear will pop right in but the front, I suspect the geometry has changed a good bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Yeah the wheel choice thing is the smaller problem IMO with 5x100 hubs, the main problem is the bearings. But I'm cautiously optimistic it won't be a problem for most people.
Yup

As for brakes on this car, I imagine anyone who's tracking the car will do just fine with the STi Brembos, pads, lines and fluid. You can even get Ti backing plates if you still have issues HOWEVER they do hold up pretty well with the portly weight of an STi until you start getting some rubber and decent power...then they start to change colors

I'd much rather drop weight to keep brakes effective than to put on bigger brakes and add more sprung mass, rotating mass, and static drag to the driveline.

Now yes, any serious track car will propably want to switch to an aftermarket setup due to rotor and pad life OR because they have increased power (and rubber) that much.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 12-23-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post

I won't go that route cause I can't justify spending $5k just on brakes. If I had extra disposable income I would do it for the looks. However I would probably just spend $500 and get rotors, pads, SS brakes lines and new brake fluid and be done with it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #41
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I won't go that route cause I can't justify spending $5k just on brakes. If I had extra disposable income I would do it for the looks. However I would probably just spend $500 and get rotors, pads, SS brakes lines and new brake fluid and be done with it.
I wouldn't spend anywhere close to $5k, if someone can source the STI brakes for $1-1.5k then I'd be interested. $2k would be the absolute maximum.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
JDLM

Quote:
Yeah not going to be 5K (OEM components) some aftermarket kits barely hit that

Tags
fr-s brakes, fr-s differential, fr-s forums, frs brakes, frs differential, frs forum, frs forums, scion fr-s brakes, scion fr-s chassis, scion fr-s diff, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s suspension, scion frs brakes, scion frs chassis, scion frs differential, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs suspension