follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2019, 03:39 AM   #589
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
So far suspension is smooth almost as factory setup verifying it's name as Road & Track but needs at least 4K rear springs imho.
Strange that it isn't smoother than the factory setup. Sachs coilovers were definitely smoother on the softer settings and close to the comfort level of the Forester tS suspension. Factory setup is improved comparing to the '15 suspension or is the difference of linear vs. progressive springs?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #590
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmit View Post
I think you should pick up the phone and call ohlins tech support. They are very nice and know the answers. They will probably even send you the correct manual. Best to talk to the experts . Made my life easier. I love my ohlins, very smooth and compliant. Better daily driver than stock for sure and car turns better
I already contacted Brian and to my surprise he told me they only sell the SUS-MP21 with 5K springs so they haven't tested what preload 4-3K springs need.
Ohlins in Sweden answered me this suspension is last years setup, I should show this e-mail to my dealer and order the 5K springs in the meantime they sent me the 4K springs...fingers crossed.
There is no manual for the 4K springs all around, in my manual they just recommend 4K springs (but sell 3K) for the rear without mentioning preload or ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Strange that it isn't smoother than the factory setup. Sachs coilovers were definitely smoother on the softer settings and close to the comfort level of the Forester tS suspension. Factory setup is improved comparing to the '15 suspension or is the difference of linear vs. progressive springs?
I din't tried it actually at softer settings, only 12 and 13 out of 20 clicks from full hard and if my shocks are for 5K springs as Ohlins say, guess I should adjust it for road use at 15-17 clicks, it can be adjusted even at >20 clicks, what gives the "click" is the top adjuster otherwise they have continuous adjustability.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (03-05-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #591
antmit

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 Neptune
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I already contacted Brian and to my surprise he told me they only sell the SUS-MP21 with 5K springs so they haven't tested what preload 4-3K springs need.
Ohlins in Sweden answered me this suspension is last years setup, I should show this e-mail to my dealer and order the 5K springs in the meantime they sent me the 4K springs...fingers crossed.
There is no manual for the 4K springs all around, in my manual they just recommend 4K springs (but sell 3K) for the rear without mentioning preload or ride height.

I din't tried it actually at softer settings, only 12 and 13 out of 20 clicks from full hard and if my shocks are for 5K springs as Ohlins say, guess I should adjust it for road use at 15-17 clicks, it can be adjusted even at >20 clicks, what gives the "click" is the top adjuster otherwise they have continuous adjustability.

Check out this manual, it is for 4k/3k
https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/w...MI_SUSMP20.pdf
Spring preload 32mm front page 4
Spring preload 28mm rear page 8

here's a manual for the 4k/4k setup
https://www.vividracing.com/productdocs/MI_SUSMP21.pdf
spring preload 27mm front page 4
spring preload 38mm rear page 8

I have the "newest" US 5k/5k setup
https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads...MI_SUSMP21.pdf
spring preload 20mm front page 4
spring preload 20mm rear page 8

I see now why you are having trouble getting the right info

I think the bottom line is that these are just recommendations from Ohlins and that you will probably need to experiment to get what works for you. At least it is a place to start. These look like all official manuals that Ohlins produced at some point or another and they are for specific springs so hopefully this will get you a good start. I am using the 5k/5k setup as recommended with no changes at 15 clicks all around. I have not bothered to do any more fine tuning but it's good enough as it is for me. Hope this helps!!
antmit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to antmit For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (03-02-2019), kevaughan (10-14-2022), new2subaru (03-06-2020), Spankopotomous (01-01-2021)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #592
JIM THEO

@antmit thanks for the manuals, actually now I am more confused, my manual is the second one but the suspension came with 4/3K springs!
By the way...
-in first case for 4K fronts Ohlins suggests 32mm preload, in second case for the same springs 27mm!
"With both the preload and height adjustments in their standard positions, the vehicle is lowered approximately 20 mm when compared to the original suspension." ...impossible with 5mm preload difference!
-in first case for 3K rears Ohlins suggests 28mm preload while in second case for 4K much more at 38mm!
That's at least weird and changes completely the bump travel, I've set mine as per second manual 4/4K setup while on 4/3K springs. I'll keep my current settings with the new 4K rears and see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #593
Booboo

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
FYI be sure to call Ohlins tech support when in doubt.

I just ordered Ohlins last week and received the SUS MP21 with 5K/5K equal length (same part number actually) springs front and rear. I did not ask for anything special.

This did not match the printed manual supplied in the box which recommended 4K/3K. I called and they said that they can email me the corrected manual or find it on ohlins.com. I thanked them over the phone and printed out the new manual. The new manual that matches 5K/5K has different spring preload settings than the 4K/3K manual (obviously?) so you don't want to end up using the wrong lengths for the wrong springs!! The net result for 5K springs is that the spring length should be 180mm a.k.a spring preload as the manual calls it.

The other thing I'm not clear on, which I'm not sure about since their call center was closed by the time I realized it, is if I received the right spring seats (large washers that go on either end of the spring). The manual says that I should've gotten 4 plastic spring seats and 2 rubber, but I receive 2 plastic and 4 rubber. My guess is that it's correct and that the manual is out of date as any spring binding would be remediated by the other end being free to slip against something plastic.

Recently received my SUSMP21 kit here in the UK and have exactly the same issue ref the spring spacers and the instruction sheet anomaly

The kit I ordered stated 40/30 spring rates and that's what I got BUT........ the instructions in my kit (issue date 30 Jan 2018) and preload data are for 40N/mm spring rates front and rear!

Huge inconsistency in data and hugely confusing!. If you look at the Ohlins site for the BRZ here in the UK it states BRZ model years covered are 2012 to 2019 yet the product info link states 2012-2018 and and shows 40/30 spring rates. HOWEVER, click on the mounting instruction link and they are for spring rates 50/50 (these show updated issue date 01 Nov 18)

My supplier is confused, I am not amused and my tuning guys cannot fit until we know WTF is going on?

The explanation.......I am hoping, is that there is another updated mounting instruction sheet for my 40/30 with the preload data AND instructions to fit the 4 x rubber spring spacers and the 2 x plastic spacers

Spoke to Ohlins direct today and they will need to look into it on Monday

Not best pleased as I have had them for 14 days and booked in for fitment next week
Booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #594
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They should just make one manual (and keep it uptodate with future changes too) with table of preload settings with several springs so that it can be used for all possible combinations and remove all old pdf-s to fix current instructions mess.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #595
Booboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
They should just make one manual (and keep it uptodate with future changes too) with table of preload settings with several springs so that it can be used for all possible combinations and remove all old pdf-s to fix current instructions mess.

I agree but looks like the kits contents have been changed slightly also (spring spacers)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #596
JIM THEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboo View Post
I agree but looks like the kits contents have been changed slightly also (spring spacers)
I had exactly the same problems with you, after contacting Ohlins they told me to use 4K rear springs* with preload as described in the manual you have and place the 4 similar spring seats at the bottom of each spring.
If you read back this thread someone posted all the manuals for each spring set.
I ended with the OEM suspension again but this is due to other reasons, the limited rear suspension travel of Ohlins.
During our conversations they told me that both 4/3K, 4/4K and 5/5K kits have exactly the same valving so it's up to you what springs you'll use!

https://scontent.fath7-1.fna.fbcdn.n...04&oe=5D139358

*I sell brand new in their packaging the 2 rear 4K springs they suggested me to buy, if you are interested

Last edited by JIM THEO; 03-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #597
Booboo

Quote:
I had exactly the same problems with you, after contacting Ohlins they told me to use 4K rear springs* with preload as described in the manual you have and place the 4 similar spring seats at the bottom of each spring.
If you read back this thread someone posted all the manuals for each spring set.
I ended with the OEM suspension again but this is due to other reasons, the limited rear suspension travel of Ohlins.
During our conversations they told me that both 4/3K, 4/4K and 5/5K kits have exactly the same valving so it's up to you what springs you'll use!

https://scontent.fath7-1.fna.fbcdn.n...04&oe=5D139358

*I sell brand new in their packaging the 2 rear 4K springs they suggested me to buy, if you are interested

Thanks Jim

I think I need to have a word with my supplier
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #598
Molez93
Scott M

Drives: '13 BRZ (DocWalt's old car)
Seems this thread is the best place to ask...
What alternatives to the Whiteline FSB end links have people used to avoid shearing off the attachment bracket on the coil over? After trading emails with Brian @Ohlins USA, I'm pretty sure others have experienced similar failures from the end links acting like a fulcrum of unintentional force on the bracket. (I tried to attach a pic of the damage but size is too large. Will attempt to address that tomorrow).

Basically I'd love a suggestion which is essentially the Whiteline solution, but doesn't make contact with the coil over body under "whatever those conditions are." ;-) ...Narrow and stiff would be perfect

Thx!
Molez93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #599
glhs386

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Seems this thread is the best place to ask...
What alternatives to the Whiteline FSB end links have people used to avoid shearing off the attachment bracket on the coil over? After trading emails with Brian @Ohlins USA, I'm pretty sure others have experienced similar failures from the end links acting like a fulcrum of unintentional force on the bracket. (I tried to attach a pic of the damage but size is too large. Will attempt to address that tomorrow).

Basically I'd love a suggestion which is essentially the Whiteline solution, but doesn't make contact with the coil over body under "whatever those conditions are." ;-) ...Narrow and stiff would be perfect

Thx!
I had the same exact problem. Sheared off three endlink brackets, each time Ohlins had to pull a replacement off of a used set because they don't stock spares. Initially it seemed that it was because the Whiteline endlinks were so thick they would rub against the strut while turning, so I replaced them with thinner Hotchkis links which seemed to fix the rubbing issue. Didn't matter, still ended up breaking another bracket. I suspect they are just not beefy enough to handle something like a 25mm front swaybar. Ended up having a metal fabrication guy weld up reinforced brackets which worked like a champ but are ugly as hell.
glhs386 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glhs386 For This Useful Post:
Molez93 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #600
Molez93
Scott M

Drives: '13 BRZ (DocWalt's old car)
Thanks for that info. I ran the car "as is" for two days at Watkins Glen this past weekend. No failures, but now the passenger side shows a TON of contact and grinding where it looked fine before. The recently replaced driver side only shows a touch of contact.

Any chance that "other bracket" failing with the Hotchkis set up was a function of fatigue/wear experienced before making the switch from the Whiteline links?

If you had a opportunity to take a picture of that fabrication to post here or send to me, I'd greatly appreciate the info. I was considering simply grinding down the corner of the coil over, but that was more of a last resort.
Molez93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #601
glhs386

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's possible there was a fatigue issue with the last bracket, but I inspected it closely when swapping the endlinks and didn't see any visible cracks at the time. I decided it just wasn't worth the risk anymore, since if one broke under hard cornering it could theoretically create a snap oversteer situation and a crash. I don't have a photo handy of the reinforced brackets, but it's really just some additional metal welded to the Ohlins bracket to thicken it up. Not particularly elegant. Just make sure not to thicken the section where the bolts attach it to the strut so you still have enough thread engagement. In my experience they all crack near the bend in the middle, so I'd focus on adding material there.
glhs386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #602
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
here's a manual for the 4k/4k setup
https://www.vividracing.com/productdocs/MI_SUSMP21.pdf
spring preload 27mm front page 4
spring preload 38mm rear page 8!
My original kit was 4k F and 3K rear. I just installed 4K rear. This manual is wrong. The springs are 200mm long. I think it may be a typo and they meant 3K not 4K.

The standard spring preload is 27 mm from a free length of 230 mm, giving 203 mm

203mm and there would be no preload whatsoever on a 200mm spring.

It was suggested to me to do a 24mm preload. I ended up with a 20mm preload from a free length of 200mm. I had it out for one hour and it's not bottoming out on the rear when taken over the same roads. I am at 8 clicks. More testing to follow.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote