follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #43
Rookie_34

Drives: 2014 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No, i got wheels and tires at the same time. The more i feel this swerve, im starting to think its something up front. I feel like maybe the swaybar upfront is loose or something. Gonna check this saturday.
Rookie_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #44
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I have a feeling it's inexperience in car control. It's usually too much speed then lifting abruptly mid corner. Snap oversteer
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-29-2019), wparsons (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
Rookie_34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I have a feeling it's inexperience in car control. It's usually too much speed then lifting abruptly mid corner. Snap oversteer
Mid corner? I swore i said as i exited the ramp. Just so you guys know, i use to have a s13, s14, 350z and a 600rr. I use to autox alittle and canyon run. Just alittle on my background experience. Oh and i forgot to mention, about 6 years of on and off drifting.

Last edited by Rookie_34; 08-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #46
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_34 View Post
Mid corner? I swore i said as i exited the ramp. Just so you guys know, i use to have a s13, s14, 350z and a 600rr. I use to autox alittle and canyon run. Just alittle on my background experience. Oh and i forgot to mention, about 6 years of on and off drifting.
You could've led with the drifting part honestly. If you know how to drift, then 90% of this thread is useless. A few things can make the car snap or swerve suddenly that isnt caused by driver input. Suddenly hitting the bumpstops is a possibility, but you'd probably seen that before while drifting, so Im guessing its not. So im thinking yuo have a problem with toe settings changing on the fly. If the bushings in your control arms have enough play in them, its possible that toe settings change enough under compression (or under steering input) to cause a sharp change. I've had a toe-arm bold move a bit during a quick alignement setting change in between track sessions, and boy did the car let me know something was fucked in the rear quickly. If the car is snapping suddently, my guess is its in the rear, the front can alter turn-in response but not the trajectory of the car itself unless something is bent way past "small" (like a wheel sticking out 30 degrees).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #47
Rookie_34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
You could've led with the drifting part honestly. If you know how to drift, then 90% of this thread is useless. A few things can make the car snap or swerve suddenly that isnt caused by driver input. Suddenly hitting the bumpstops is a possibility, but you'd probably seen that before while drifting, so Im guessing its not. So im thinking yuo have a problem with toe settings changing on the fly. If the bushings in your control arms have enough play in them, its possible that toe settings change enough under compression (or under steering input) to cause a sharp change. I've had a toe-arm bold move a bit during a quick alignement setting change in between track sessions, and boy did the car let me know something was fucked in the rear quickly. If the car is snapping suddently, my guess is its in the rear, the front can alter turn-in response but not the trajectory of the car itself unless something is bent way past "small" (like a wheel sticking out 30 degrees).
People here have mention about raising the car abit to avoid hitting the bumpstop. But in all honesty, my two 240's were slammed and i have never had this problem. I thought maybe since this is a different car. Maybe you guys might know something. But kind of like you were saying, if something is off. The car will definitely let you know. Same situation here. I know enough to know that no car is suppose to handle like this, idc if oversteer is alittle. But geez if oversteer is this harsh, i dont think anyone can canyon run or drive this car hard. I feel like its not the alignment, cuz prior to the "new" alignment the car was bad. But not like now. Tmrw im gonna put the car up and check every nut and bolt. Double check the swaybars. And ill let you guys know if i fixed the problem. Thx again
The Following User Says Thank You to Rookie_34 For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #48
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've been wondering what exactly is going on. After reading your first post, I've been thinking is the "swerve" you're talking about is happening AFTER you exit the corner and are driving in a straight line. Is this what it's doing? Folks seem to be diagnosing a different problem if that's what's happening.

Would it be accurate to describe the motion as "darting?" IOW a sharp (but usually pretty small), uncommanded yawing motion. If that's true, it sounds like there is some play in one of the suspension locating links/bushings.. When you exit the corner and remove the lateral load it's "springing" back and making the car dart. Years and years ago, I had first a Chevelle SS and then a (first gen) Mercury Capri that would occasionally do something similar. In both cases is turned out to be worn/damaged control arm bushings. May not be the case here, but it's a place to start.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 08-30-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added stuff
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #49
Rookie_34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I've been wondering what exactly is going on. After reading your first post, I've been thinking is the "swerve" you're talking about is happening AFTER you exit the corner and are driving in a straight line. Is this what it's doing? Folks seem to be diagnosing a different problem if that's what's happening.

Would it be accurate to describe the motion as "darting?" IOW a sharp (but usually pretty small), uncommanded yawing motion. If that's true, it sounds like there is some play in one of the suspension locating links/bushings.. When you exit the corner and remove the lateral load it's "springing" back and making the car dart. Years and years ago, I had first a Chevelle SS and then a (first gen) Mercury Capri that would occasionally do something similar. In both cases is turned out to be worn/damaged control arm bushings. May not be the case here, but it's a place to start.
You are very close, before the alignment it would dart during a turn, esp right turns. After the alignment the car now darts harder and seems to be doing it even during higer speed lane changes. Because im turning into another lane. Its happening only when i turn. Only experienced the swerving that one time. Very unstable swerve. Wanna say it has something to do with the suspension up front. But you are very very close to my diagnosis. At least youve experienced something like that before. Thx for your input.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #50
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Raising BCs won't change bump stop engagement, but there are other implications of significantly lowering the car due to suspension geometry, roll centers, toe curves, aero, stressed bushings, etc and the 86s that are setup to handle aren't sitting crazy low.

Edit: I'm going to harp again on the rear camber, 3.4 degrees on the right rear, I've never put more than 2.7 or so, lots of camber = tramlining
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #51
Rookie_34

Ok guys, so i checked out everything on saturday. Installed rlca and got a new alignment. My car was still acting up. So i figure its gotta be the tires. Hankook v12 evo 2 suck balls. Those tires have given me problems from day one. Anyways i put my stocks back on and it feels fine for now. Havent tested on ramps or curves yet. Now ive run into another problem. When i steer hard left then right, vice versa. The bottom of the front endlink is hitting the lower control arm. Wtf is wrong with this car? I didnt have time today to raise it back up. Just had the alignment done today too. So next weekend ill have to raise it up 3/4 of an inch. Has anyone run into endlink hitting control arm?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #52
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok guys, so i checked out everything on saturday. Installed rlca and got a new alignment. My car was still acting up. So i figure its gotta be the tires. Hankook v12 evo 2 suck balls. Those tires have given me problems from day one. Anyways i put my stocks back on and it feels fine for now. Havent tested on ramps or curves yet. Now ive run into another problem. When i steer hard left then right, vice versa. The bottom of the front endlink is hitting the lower control arm. Wtf is wrong with this car? I didnt have time today to raise it back up. Just had the alignment done today too. So next weekend ill have to raise it up 3/4 of an inch. Has anyone run into endlink hitting control arm?

Endlinks hitting the control arm is very common if the car is too low for the length of the end link. You either need a shorter endlink (or adjustable ones that go shorter), or raise the car up.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #53
Rookie_34

Alright guys, so i dont really wanna leave this unfinished. I took my car to toyota to get a diagnostic on the suspension. Came back the ball joints, especially the driver side is completely shot. So i just ordered buddy club flca. Should have it by this weekend and have it installed. Most of the other threads i researched, comes up incomplete and the OP never told us what was wrong. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rookie_34 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-16-2019), Tristor (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #54
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Alright guys, so i dont really wanna leave this unfinished. I took my car to toyota to get a diagnostic on the suspension. Came back the ball joints, especially the driver side is completely shot. So i just ordered buddy club flca. Should have it by this weekend and have it installed. Most of the other threads i researched, comes up incomplete and the OP never told us what was wrong. Hope this helps.
Those front lower control arms come with ball joints that re-orientate front suspension geometry for medium to low af cars, so that may add some more of the stability you are looking for.

I'm curious to your review of these FLCA in regards to comfort and handling. They are pretty affordable for what they are.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #55
Rookie_34

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Those front lower control arms come with ball joints that re-orientate front suspension geometry for medium to low af cars, so that may add some more of the stability you are looking for.

I'm curious to your review of these FLCA in regards to comfort and handling. They are pretty affordable for what they are.
Will come back a week after i install it. I definitely will update you guys. Like i said, alot of these post dont have a conclusion to the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rookie_34 For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #56
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quote:
Will come back a week after i install it. I definitely will update you guys. Like i said, alot of these post dont have a conclusion to the problem.
Glad you found the potential culprit. Even happier you lived to find it. One of those ball joints breaks in an 80mph corner and the result could ruin your whole day (and all the ones that might have followed).