follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
"Slow" start

Odd occurance happened today. Car wasn't fully warmed up but wasn't dead cold either (temp gauge was just under the first line from the bottom) and it performed an odd startup. Car usually shoots right up to 1500 rpm and stays there for the usual 30-45 seconds, but this time it quietly went to normal idle speed, then shot up to 1500rpm after about a second, as if there was some delay.

If I'm being paranoid that's fine, I've owned the car for almost 4 years now and have replaced the plugs once, all 4 coil packs, and all 4 DI due to a misfire issue about a year ago. I just wanted to gather some info/opinions on this. Car is on e85 and has the correct cold cranking tables in the tune. My best guess is maybe I caught it at an odd point between fueling tables but I don't really know.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
For what it's worth, my car does this when it's cold out. Like below 25 degrees F. It's as-if the car is deliberating on what process to follow.

It likely doesn't apply here, but hardware can be "cold bugged" and have small hiccups. I've only seen this in computer hardware specifically ( cooling a computer with dry ice) but I suspect when any hardware responsible for submitting and reacting, it can be affected by cold. I don't know why it would do this when the car hadn't been sitting for a long period of time..
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
For what it's worth, my car does this when it's cold out. Like below 25 degrees F. It's as-if the car is deliberating on what process to follow.

It likely doesn't apply here, but hardware can be "cold bugged" and have small hiccups. I've only seen this in computer hardware specifically ( cooling a computer with dry ice) but I suspect when any hardware responsible for submitting and reacting, it can be affected by cold. I don't know why it would do this when the car hadn't been sitting for a long period of time..
Thanks for your input regardless. Yeah it was only 74*F when it happened, and the car hadn't been sitting long. I just had it sit outside for the same 2 hour time period, in the same weather, and it started right up without that delay. I've been told anything involving machines/electronics is entitled to a fluke now and again lol
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
Thanks for your input regardless. Yeah it was only 74*F when it happened, and the car hadn't been sitting long. I just had it sit outside for the same 2 hour time period, in the same weather, and it started right up without that delay. I've been told anything involving machines/electronics is entitled to a fluke now and again lol
Yeah at those temps, my explanation has no footing. It may have been at the cusp of between " warm enough" and "TOO DAMN COLD" where the ECU determines a warm-up procedure is necessary.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, I reckon your car just had a minor CPU fart.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, I reckon your car just had a minor CPU fart.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues.

humfrz
had two different starts later today in the same conditions. 2 hours or more off and not completely cold. Started up fine both times.