follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #4117
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
No the battery is not bad you hit the heat limit of the controller and it is in partial boost mode. Hence back up off the boost. Also remove the rubber lining that is connected to the hood to allow better airflow to keep the control unit cooler.
This whole thing screams out for a remote trunk mount solution. Added battery weight up front and extra heat on the controller.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #4118
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
No the battery is not bad you hit the heat limit of the controller and it is in partial boost mode. Hence back up off the boost. Also remove the rubber lining that is connected to the hood to allow better airflow to keep the control unit cooler.

Yup, that's what it was. After a break it charged back up. Ran my second session and it only made it through ~10 of the 20 minutes. Might have to change it to an on demand button only for the 3-4 main straights.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #4119
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Install complete! I'll give my impressions once I get the tune from @shiv@vishnu

EXCITED

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Robftss (04-07-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #4120
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
I am soooo tempted...

being a complete noob... I see lots of mention of reflashing, installing a tune..etc... what does it take to do this?

Only thing my BRZ needs is a little more go..

oh.. and it maybe a bit early.. but guessing it would be advisable to return to stock for the winter or getting the car oiled?

One more question... how badly would stock exhaust restrict this if at all? Want more go but don't want to shell out a ton of coin, and kinda like the stealth..
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #4121
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
Hey guys so I'm trying to install the fuse for the auto on off and this is as far as the fuse will go into the box.... Am I just not pushing it in hard enough lol
That's how it fits. If you want to use the cover you'll need to drill two holes and create a slot in that location. That's what I did.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-05-2014), Gums (04-05-2014), raven1231 (04-05-2014), Robftss (04-07-2014), WRB5titch (04-05-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #4122
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Showed my brother this product last night... Turns out my brother bought an ae86 in the late 90's in Calgary and it came with an electric fan of some sort. Wondering if that was perhaps a project of Rob's.. can't have been too many people messing with such ideas back then in Calgary..
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #4123
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Update after a day of racing:

Summary: the Phantom ESC is exactly what I needed on the track...when it works. The added oomph to get down the straights makes this car feel much quicker.

By the last session I was able to adjust my driving so that I only triggered the ESC on the 3 straights that were important. The problem is that two of this straights at buttonwillow are back to back. After about 13-14 minutes of laps it would go into the safety mode, show 26.6 on the display, and stop engaging. That's when I realized how much I love the ESC. I'd go WOT into the next straight and would feel the lack of power.

Rob said this would happen. He said that HPDEs are too demanding to last the whole session so what happened was expected.

Questions about this though:
Did the ESC go into protection mode because of heat or because of low battery? If heat, is it the heat of the controller? If controller, can I relocate to somewhere else with less heat and better airflow?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #4124
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
Showed my brother this product last night... Turns out my brother bought an ae86 in the late 90's in Calgary and it came with an electric fan of some sort. Wondering if that was perhaps a project of Rob's.. can't have been too many people messing with such ideas back then in Calgary..
Probably not. Those BS electric fan 'blowers' have been around for ages ripping people off that don't know better. Tons of people have been messing around with lots of stuff on cars for the past 100 years including electric and hybrid cars as well as supercharging and turbocharging. People have been using Nitrous for almost 80 years too. You'd be surprised how old the tech is in a lot stuff is in a modern car.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #4125
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
Questions about this though:
Did the ESC go into protection mode because of heat or because of low battery? If heat, is it the heat of the controller? If controller, can I relocate to somewhere else with less heat and better airflow?
relocating seems to be a problem because the wires from the motor to the controller to the dump packs, need to be as short as possible (that's my understanding anyway) so the phases don't get screwed or something <-wild ass guess.

But I wonder, I have seen people cut out the holes in the turn signal grill to get air to oil coolers, or brake duct. I haven't removed my bumper, but is there room to duct air from that false grille up to the motor controller? I think that would probably be the best solution(imo).
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #4126
Urmyson

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I have an OFT, where do I the tune for the ESC? Does Shiv have to send it or do I have to wait until they release it on the OFT site?

Thanks,
Joe
Urmyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #4127
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urmyson View Post
Hey guys,

I have an OFT, where do I the tune for the ESC? Does Shiv have to send it or do I have to wait until they release it on the OFT site?

Thanks,

Joe

Shiv sends it to you.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #4128
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
You will need to email @shiv@vishnu your original rom and he will send you the tune

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #4129
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
relocating seems to be a problem because the wires from the motor to the controller to the dump packs, need to be as short as possible (that's my understanding anyway) so the phases don't get screwed or something <-wild ass guess..
Good guess, but wrong. It's to minimize voltage drop.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #4130
waterbison777

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
I just finished my first hpde session with the phantom. I pointed my gopro at the gauge so I can review how It held up later. One question - after coming back in from the session I noticed it's sitting at 26.6 and doesn't seem to be charging back to 28s. Bad battery?
I also just finished running my first HPDE session with the phantom ESC at Laguna Seca and have concluded that this ESC is not for track use.

Driving "normally" on the track, the ESC didn't last for more than 2 minutes before going into "safe mode." I found that, while it was cool to pull much harder on straights, the trigger-activated design of the ESC messes with the balance of the car when I play with throttle inputs. Also, when the ESC was deactivated and I stubbornly continued to go full throttle, my nose sensed that the car was running noticeably richer than optimal. It definitely requires a major change in driving style on the track, and I don't know if it's a good thing... if you know what I mean.

I removed the ESC, installed the stock intake, and reflashed my car with the OFT... in just 20-30 minutes (most of the time was due to flashing). The systems integration design of this ESC is so simple that it's genius.

Driving the same course NA, I actually didn't really miss the low-end torque. The car stays at 4000+ rpm most of the time anyway. Running the car without the ESC preserved the balance and predictability of the car; an element which I lost while running the ESC (probably due to my lack of experience with it as well.) I pulled slightly less on straights, but it didn't matter, since the car was so much more fun to drive in NA form (on the track!).

This is a great street solution, especially for the occasional freeway merging and passing, but I would shy away from ever using the this version of the ESC on track.
waterbison777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to waterbison777 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-07-2014), fenton (04-07-2014), R2 (04-07-2014), Robftss (04-07-2014), xxBrun0xx (04-07-2014)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive