follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #729
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
Someone pointed out where the boxer rumble was still coming from with EL headers[glad you went for those!] Apparently the inlet ports on each side, front and rear, are different lengths. So you would have to compensate for that difference in the header lengths to get rid of it completely but just that small amount is perfect for me.
Surely the centre pipe is the key to volume control? Why not have a straight through muffler fitted into that?

Please post a sound clip. Can't wait to hear this one!
There is video of Tainen running the full exhaust including header, but THAT video I believe does not truly capture the sound. It sounds kind of raspy and it is NOT raspy. It's on youtube.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #730
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
There is video of Tainen running the full exhaust including header, but THAT video I believe does not truly capture the sound. It sounds kind of raspy and it is NOT raspy. It's on youtube.
Just found it and it did sound raspy.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #731
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just wanted to thank everyone for this great thread on this exhaust. I have made my decision and will be purchasing the axle back this Black Friday weekend (free shipping!). If I feel I want more sound, I'll go with Sportguy83's recommendation of the 'front pipe'. I'm crossing my fingers for an aligned setup (non-misaligned tips).

Goes to show you how great this forum can be without off-topic bashing!

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitz For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #732
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for this great thread on this exhaust. I have made my decision and will be purchasing the axle back this Black Friday weekend (free shipping!). If I feel I want more sound, I'll go with Sportguy83's recommendation of the 'front pipe'. I'm crossing my fingers for an aligned setup (non-misaligned tips).

You'll also get a bit more volume with the regular (vs. offset) axleback.
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #733
TeamSweet86

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Free shipping on Nameless exhaust? From where?
TeamSweet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #734
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSweet86 View Post
Nameless is having a Black Friday sale.

From their Facebook page:

"Everybody ready for a 4-Day Black Friday sale? Friday-Monday. Free domestic shipping on all orders of Nameless Performance parts, plus each order gets a coupon for 5-10% off the next order. And one customer will get a coupon for a free single Nameless product (Axleback, Downpipe, Midpipe, etc). More info to follow."
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #735
spitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwood9000 View Post
You'll also get a bit more volume with the regular (vs. offset) axleback.
You know, I have been extremely torn between the two. I love the standard, but I am concerned with the sound dB. I go to a bunch of track events at Laguna Seca and they have a 92 dB drive-by limit. It seems both exhausts are quiet to begin with though.

Is it accurate to say that the offset version w/ the front pipe setup will equal the loudness of the standard exhaust loudness? This way I have a bit more flexibility. It seems from videos that the idle of the standard is noticeably louder than the offset, but I remember seeing Nameless' first video and it seemed quiet (white car). Maybe it's just how the camera is held. Also, a reasonable amount of the videos were recorded in-doors.

How is the idle compared to stock?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #736
spitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSweet86 View Post
Nameless has a Black Friday free shipping sale! It is on their Facebook site

Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #737
spitz

Ah I backtracked this thread, and found my answers in regards to idle sound.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #738
spitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
I installed this axle-back last Tuesday. Great quality, easy to install, no leaks, and it sounds great on the outside of the car. However, it is much louder in the cabin than I expected it to be, especially between 2k & 3k rpm. I expected it to be this loud with a header and no cats, not with just an axle-back.

I did some dB measurements with sound meter that was placed in the center console.

Here are my results:

Idle with A/C off ~55 dB
Idle with A/C on ~62 dB
Cruise @ 60mph ~78 dB
Cruise @ 75mph ~85 dB
WOT ~100 dB
WOT from the inside, w/ trunk junk removed, is 100 dB? I wonder what it is outside... Standard maybe too loud for my purposes.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #739
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
WOT from the inside, w/ trunk junk removed, is 100 dB? I wonder what it is outside... Standard maybe too loud for my purposes.
Have you made a decision? I decided the Nameless AB only was going to be the best value for me, given the minor gains to be had by swapping out forward exhaust components. I drove the standard straight through AB for ~8K miles, the bolted on a offset replacement. I like the offset, hands down. Plenty of growl under acceleration, without the 3500-4K cruising noise level. Have not put a Db meter on it, but I would be very surprised if it were over the limit you mentioned. The sound is perfect for me, it looks great, and will last the life of the car.
Side note: You will hear a bit more volume with the rear seat back down.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #740
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
Have you made a decision? I decided the Nameless AB only was going to be the best value for me, given the minor gains to be had by swapping out forward exhaust components. I drove the standard straight through AB for ~8K miles, the bolted on a offset replacement. I like the offset, hands down. Plenty of growl under acceleration, without the 3500-4K cruising noise level. Have not put a Db meter on it, but I would be very surprised if it were over the limit you mentioned. The sound is perfect for me, it looks great, and will last the life of the car.
Side note: You will hear a bit more volume with the rear seat back down.
I've had the original Nameless axleback for months, waiting for the car that was unloaded at the docks yesterday. I also have the down pipe with HF cat and an over pipe from another source on the way.
My concern now is that the original centered mufflers have been changed for a reason and the offset version sounds a big improvement.
It's a shame that Nameless no longer use the forums because I don't use facebook.
Could I have mine modified to offset locally if I get the offset mufflers from Nameless?
Could I have a new 2.5 centre pipe made up with resonator and one of those chambers or an offset muffler to get a similar result?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #741
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I've had the original Nameless axleback for months, waiting for the car that was unloaded at the docks yesterday. I also have the down pipe with HF cat and an over pipe from another source on the way.
My concern now is that the original centered mufflers have been changed for a reason and the offset version sounds a big improvement.
It's a shame that Nameless no longer use the forums because I don't use facebook.
Could I have mine modified to offset locally if I get the offset mufflers from Nameless?
Could I have a new 2.5 centre pipe made up with resonator and one of those chambers or an offset muffler to get a similar result?
Take a deep breath Sierra, I'm here to help calm down your concerns. I have the Offset, and Helmholtz in the frontpipe. @DGMBRZ lives in my city and he has the regular axleback (non-offset) and he does not have a helmholtz resonator.

The difference between my exhaust and his is nothing to get worried about. His system is louder, of course but it is nothing obnoxious. Both systems have the same tone and growl, loudness is the only difference and that difference is nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 12-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #742
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Take a deep breath Sierra, I'm here to help calm down your concerns. I have the Offset, and Helmholtz in the frontpipe. I have a friend in my town that has the regular axxleback (non-offset) and he does not have a helmholtz resonator.

The difference between my exhaust and his is nothing to get worried about. His system is louder, of course but it is nothing obnoxious. Both systems have the same tone and growl, loudness is the only difference and that difference is nothing to worry about.
Thanks, that was just what I needed to hear. If I find it's too loud i'll either get a straight through muffler fitted into the centre pipe or have it built in 2.5" SS with a resonator and muffler as mentioned before.
Another thing I like about the Nameless system is that they keep to the OEM route and don't sacrifice ground clearance as other systems do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (12-17-2012), Sportsguy83 (12-16-2012)