follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #71
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Due to the forums being a way most of you are communicating with us, and us contacting you, I shall make this announcement here.

We have received some oil coolers and are going to be getting everyone, that has had a leak taken care of! From our current stand point, there has only been 5 people affected by the issue. So if you have not contacted us directly, please do so ASAP!

We want to get this issue resolved as soon as possible so I will state it once more. CONTACT US DIRECTLY if you have not already, so we can make sure we get everyone taken care of before selling them as retail.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #72
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any update when the new ones will be ready?
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #73
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Perrin have been in touch with me proactively , and I'm an oil cooler customer on the other side of the world; I think they have handled this issue well, so far.

Aren't those mocal coolers made by us useless Limeys?
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #74
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Ok does anyone else think this is insane? 5 people have had leaks on their radiator and mocal is supposed to pressure test every single unit. I'm not bashing perrin on this, but mocal. What a bunch of marketing BS.

"Each cooler is then tested by immersion to a pressure of 170 psi." Yeah ok.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #75
ICantAffordAnLFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Ok does anyone else think this is insane? 5 people have had leaks on their radiator and mocal is supposed to pressure test every single unit. I'm not bashing perrin on this, but mocal. What a bunch of marketing BS.

"Each cooler is then tested by immersion to a pressure of 170 psi." Yeah ok.
Things go wrong; rather more important in these cases are how it gets resolved.

And it looks like Perrin are on the ball.

Can't fault the 2 US suppliers I have used; Perrin, and Essex Parts.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #76
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA View Post
Things go wrong; rather more important in these cases are how it gets resolved.

And it looks like Perrin are on the ball.

Can't fault the 2 US suppliers I have used; Perrin, and Essex Parts.
Your post doesn't say anything, it's just filler. Things do go wrong, but if they tested the radiators, every single one, like they say they do, none of this would happen. You've added nothing to this conversation other than plugging two vendors.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #77
ICantAffordAnLFA

Quote:
Your post doesn't say anything, it's just filler. Things do go wrong, but if they tested the radiators, every single one, like they say they do, none of this would happen. You've added nothing to this conversation other than plugging two vendors.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #78
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Professional Smartass does fit you well
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
post_break (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #79
defylogik
Track Junkie

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting discussion here. I'm on the fence until i can get the new fr-s out to the track and log some miles before pulling the trigger on a cooler.

My experience is that Subaru flat 4 engines run hot. On my 500ish HP time attack car i was seeing temps between 230F and 270F Usually they would hover around 260F when really pushing 10/10... a few times i'd logged 280!! This was with a full size Mocal cooler, extended lines, sandwich plate, and 20w50 synthetic on a brand new motor. That to me seemed hot, but it's hard to gauge what is acceptable because all things are never equal.. ambient temps, etc etc. These temps weren't at the sandwich plate either, these were coming off an autometer sender right in the front oil pathway. Solid oil pressure during any track stint.

The perrin kit install looks so clean, it may be worth it. Good on subaru for putting the filter up top on this engine ... not having those lines running under the manifold like on the STi is a huge piece of mind bonus. That always worried me, even with 3 layers of fire sleeve. Basically the positives outweigh the negatives.. me thinks.

BTW you can't blame perrin for the cooler issue they experienced. Mocal usually makes good stuff, issues are bound to happen in manufacturing.

Scott
defylogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #80
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Garage
It's kinda the same concept as blaming Firestone if you get a bad batch of Yokohama tires. ^^
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #81
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Apologies to the Perrins

I owe Perrin an apology.
I had jumped to conclusions.
Story goes thus:
I read of a problem with the radiator.
I see oil on the radiator. (See pics 1 )
I think radiator is leaking.
When the hose flanges were tightened the small oil release pimples (pic 2)
was facing away from the front. I had no idea what those things were until speaking to the local distributor for the cooler.
I fitted a Setrab radiator I already owned and observed oil leaking from those oil release pimple
thingys. I subsequently learnt that those hoses flanges need to be done up tight. I mean really tight.
It took two more tightenings to get the oil to stop weeping from those pimples with the constant fear that I was going to break something or strip a thread.(Yeah, I know thew are big threads). I have now done approximately 150 kilometers without sign of a leak.

I appreciate this doesn't help those who are having a problem but in my case I wrongly stated there was a problem with the radiator Perrin supplied.
Attached Images

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #82
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
So far my replacement that the owner of Perrin put in for me about a month ago isn't leaking last I checked. They gave me great service and seem to keep going out of their way compared to others to earn my business. If only they carried all the parts I buy and they'd have all of my upgrade money.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #83
Splat

Drives: FR-S ultramarine
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was about to pull the trigger on the Perrin oil cooler, but after seeing how they handled your situation I've decided to spend my money elsewhere.
That's a shame. Many, Including myself have the perrin oil cooler and no issues.

The OP did as he should and posted an issue. We should keep an eye on it and not be a bunch of "internet squawking uptight babies".
Take a look at real car companies like Ford, Toyota they all have problems with brand new cars that "have been tested at the factory" to work properly.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #84
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
That's a shame. Many, Including myself have the perrin oil cooler and no issues.

The OP did as he should and posted an issue. We should keep an eye on it and not be a bunch of "internet squawking uptight babies".
Take a look at real car companies like Ford, Toyota they all have problems with brand new cars that "have been tested at the factory" to work properly.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I wouldn't be going with Perrin because their part failed. That happens, I understand that. It was their response to a couple customers with the issue that has made me decide to take my money elsewhere.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote