follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
anthros

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited, Dark Gray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 FR-S review: Automobile Magazine loves the revamped suspension

I'm a prospective BRZ buyer, and I've been trying to learn more about the 2015 BRZ suspension. I just came across an Automobile Magazine review of the 2015 FR-S, and they love the revised suspension on the FR-S.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...-track-review/

Here's hoping the 2015 BRZ's suspension is substantially similar.

Cheers,

Jason
anthros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
dtrop

Drives: Wrb 2014 limited brZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I thought the revised frs suspension was to match the brz, no?
dtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I have a '15 FR-S and with the swaybar option installed it hasn't let me down yet. Granted I haven't really pushed it with Autocross or anything, but there's something rewarding about taking a simple right turn down the street at 35 mph without the need to brake. It makes the daily drive a bit more fun when there's no one around.
LucidMomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LucidMomentum For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I KNOW somebody will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they changed anything in the BRZ suspension.
As far as the FRS change goes I find it funny how most of the reviews for the 13/14s praised it for how easy it was to swing the rear end around. Now that they "fixed" this for 2015 it suddenly was a problem???????
Never had a problem with my 14 as it gives you lots of warning when you begin to push it and the rear starts to swing.
Either way they both are still a great car and you should get one!
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As the press release from SCION says the front suspension was made

1. " for better handling and stability thanks to a more rigid front suspension" To paraphrase they made improvements to the front because the engineers decided it needed it.

2. "The rear shocks were re-tuned for improved dampening and reduction of body roll".
To paraphrase, they made the engineers retune the rear shocks only because there was a need for it. Body roll is bad for a car that is meant to handle well.

So like any sports car manufacturer they improve upon thing in future models or Generations. Why do they do it. Most likely from customer feedback.

it's not a big deal that they made minor improvements for the betterment of the car. Whats wrong with that??

Quotes from the article "The 2015 Scion FR-S practically zinged through this combination on a tight, crisp line like it has been born to do this all along.

"The bottom line is a car that scribes the line through a corner with confidence, and we like this on the track far more than either the 2014 FR-S's slightly sideways tendencies or the Subaru BRZ's awd-style understeer."

Last edited by stevesnj; 09-04-2014 at 08:06 PM.
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
As the press release from SCION says the front suspension was made

1. " for better handling and stability thanks to a more rigid front suspension" To paraphrase they made improvements to the front because the engineers decided ot needed it.

2. "The rear shocks were re-tuned for improved dampening and reduction of body roll".
To paraphrase, they made the engineers retuned the rear shocks only because there was a need for it. Body roll is bad for a car that is meant to handle well.

So like any sports car manufacturer they improve upon thing in future models or Generations. Why do they do it. Most likely from customer feedback.

it's not a big deal that they made minor improvements for the betterment of the car. Whats wrong with that??

NO NO NO You misunderstood my statement (or more likely I wasn't clear enough)!
Completely and totally in favour of improvements. My point was that the earlier models were very heavily promoted and praised for exactly the handling that they have now changed. I am not saying they were better or worse just that a good deal of the sales hype was around that very thing. They even explained a few times in different reviews and comparisons between the Twins how the FRS was more "lively" and the BRZ more "stable"(I am not going to go back through the 100 sites I checked while researching to buy this car for proof). The original marketing was geared towards two different demographics with the FRS targeting the "younger" crowd and the BRZ focusing on us "older" guys. In reality the lines between the two groups blurred so fast that both groups quickly fit into either car's marketing. There is a very old thread on here someplace (again to lazy to go find) that predicted this exact change to the suspension once the two makes settled into their marketing niche.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
NO NO NO You misunderstood my statement (or more likely I wasn't clear enough)!
Completely and totally in favour of improvements. My point was that the earlier models were very heavily promoted and praised for exactly the handling that they have now changed. I am not saying they were better or worse just that a good deal of the sales hype was around that very thing. They even explained a few times in different reviews and comparisons between the Twins how the FRS was more "lively" and the BRZ more "stable"(I am not going to go back through the 100 sites I checked while researching to buy this car for proof). The original marketing was geared towards two different demographics with the FRS targeting the "younger" crowd and the BRZ focusing on us "older" guys. In reality the lines between the two groups blurred so fast that both groups quickly fit into either car's marketing. There is a very old thread on here someplace (again to lazy to go find) that predicted this exact change to the suspension once the two makes settled into their marketing niche.
Wasn't a retort of your comment, just putting the facts out there when some incorrectly state "ehh they just put new bolts in it".

So I just wanted to point out the FACTS to those that have no facts.
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Wasn't a retort of your comment, just putting the facts out there when some incorrectly state "ehh they just put new bolts in it".

So I just wanted to point out the FACTS to those that have no facts.
Just bad timing then!
All is cool!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
This is the third review now that states the changes are significant. This is making me curious to drive one for myself.

I'm pretty satisfied with the prior FR-S stock suspension on max performance summer tires at the track though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Need to get the shock dyno out to really see what's up

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
I have a '15 FR-S and with the swaybar option installed it hasn't let me down yet. Granted I haven't really pushed it with Autocross or anything, but there's something rewarding about taking a simple right turn down the street at 35 mph without the need to brake. It makes the daily drive a bit more fun when there's no one around.

What's the sway bar option?
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
This is the third review now that states the changes are significant. This is making me curious to drive one for myself.

I'm pretty satisfied with the prior FR-S stock suspension on max performance summer tires at the track though.
Yeah, me too. All this time I've been thinking the '13-14' were pretty good -- I throw mine around pretty hard and while there is a little body roll it doesn't seem like much to me? Try a stock Miata and you will know what I mean!
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond63 View Post
What's the sway bar option?
It's the upgraded sway bar package that Scion has to offer. TRD, I believe. My '15 came with the Spoiler, Sway Bar, and Exhaust options added on.
LucidMomentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This reminds me of the honda s2000 war between AP1 and AP2 versions.
Do you like snap oversteer? yes? go AP1. No? AP2.
Same scenario for the FRS.

A car that slides its rear end out easily is not a great handling car, that isnt a measure of cornering performance. Lets not confuse that, drifting or sliding is a lot of energy thats being wasted instead of being pushed around the corner.

That being said, sliding is a hell of a lot of fun, especially in this car because its designed to do it so easily. I think they played it smart and went a bit more reserved on the oversteer to appeal to a wider audience of inexperienced drivers. The first version was bought by the pure enthousiasts, at least, the majority was who will appreciate the oversteer fun. The second version is reaching a wider audience with a more tame version of the suspension which makes it more manageable for new(ish) drivers.