follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What would be the first mod you would do to your FT-86?
Wheels/Tires 78 36.79%
Air Intake 29 13.68%
Lowering Springs 10 4.72%
Sound System 13 6.13%
Cat Back 21 9.91%
Coil Overs 22 10.38%
Other (please specify) 39 18.40%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #225
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
more a curiosity question.. but i wonder what a set of ITBs would do for this motor. Insane throttle response and maybe 20-30more hp is all Daddy needs
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #226
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syldrin View Post
clear bra!
Why do they only make that for cars? Why?
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #227
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
more a curiosity question.. but i wonder what a set of ITBs would do for this motor.
Don't expect any big power gains unless you've modded the engine and exhaust to the point that the stock manifold and/or throttle body have become restrictive. The best you could hope for on a stock motor would be to gain a bit of torque at high rpm at the expense of losing a greater amount of torque elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Why do they only make that for cars? Why?
They probably make them for lady parts as well. But you'll probably need to buy them at a shop with blacked out windows and the front door in the rear.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #228
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Don't expect any big power gains unless you've modded the engine and exhaust to the point that the stock manifold and/or throttle body have become restrictive. The best you could hope for on a stock motor would be to gain a bit of torque at high rpm at the expense of losing a greater amount of torque elsewhere.
Perhaps you're right.. perhaps you're not. Impossible to say until it's been tried and developed on.

The reason why I wonder is because this car was developed with the mindset to keep costs down as one of the primary goals. ITBs have a very expensive $/hp coefficient. They may have gone with a single TB and traditional intake manifold/plenum setup just for that reason alone. Unless you're part of the engineering team who developed the FB no one can say for sure at this point how much HP will be lossed or gained from a set of ITBs.

Btw... not in all cases do ITBs create a tradeoff in the way you mentioned (i.e. gain in torque up high and loss down below or vice versa). Properly sized runners alone can yield favorable results.

For someone like me i'd be happy with improved throttle response and a bump of perhaps 20-30hp. 20-30hp optimistic? Yes, perhaps but i'm a glass half full kinda guy

Geez.. i'm excited about modding this car already. Yikes for my pocketbook!
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #229
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Te37 or rota equivalents will be sex on this car.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #230
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
let's see... change the side reflectors to white (JDM stylez yo!!! lol jk), lower it (probably just TRD springs), exhaust at some point or maybe just bigger exhaust tips (again, if TRD offers them), paint stock rims black+red lip (time attack style)+yellow calipers, yellow film on the fog lights, carbon fiber wrap for the roof, the little part on the trunk where the scion emblem is and the middle part of the front bumper. Also change the orange lights for both front and black blinkers to white (still orange light, but not orange bulb color that reflects in the housing and makes it ugly (IMHO)) and then I'll take it from there when some actual car specific parts come out from the aftermarket industry...

Boy Racer I guess?

to each their own...
Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #231
Z.Tune

Drives: E46 M3/Z34
Wheels/Tires

the stock ones look so bad
Z.Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #232
Lightspeed

Drives: Raven black
wheels, tires, wax job... Then porting and a tune.. eh?
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #233
nate89

Drives: MR2
Springs first, then wheels. That way I can get a better idea of what offsetto get. Possibly audio at the same time.
nate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #234
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
None cause being stock is everything. Maybe tires once they go bald.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #235
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
R-Compounds for sure, then maybe front sway/shocks (SCCA Stock Class build)
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #236
KidWonder

Drives: 2004 Volkswagen Passat Turbo
First mod is engine tune and Nitrous Oxide installation. Can we even out Nos on here?
KidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #237
jer305

Drives: Datsun 280Z
Other - Clear tail lights have to go, all red for me.... other then that nothing really needs to be changed.
jer305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #238
Corey

Drives: 1998 Toyota Altezza RS200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
Okay, so you don't like my choice in coilovers, what would you recommend? keep in mind this is a car that most likely no one on this forum has driven yet, so has no idea how it handles in real life let alone modified. Different brands seem to work best for different vehicles, right now we don't know which brands work the best for this particular car. There may end up being some no name brand appear out of left field and produce a part that blows the "better" brands out of the water. Some of the brand stuff that's on that list is there with this concept in mind, and is bound to change as the aftermarket kicks into gear for the FR-S. Some of the brands are also there because I've used them in the past and had good experiences with them.

Half the fun of modifying cars and being part of a community like this is seeing what other people come up with. I doubt everyone here has the same goals for the car, and that's a good thing. Some people are bound to end up using parts that other people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, either through brand loyalty or they had a bad experience with the offending brand.

I think what it really boils down to is a whole lot of trial and error and experimentation to explore possibilities to achieve the desired results. Most of this experimentation would be spread out over a lot of different people, rather than just one. For me, I was looking at the Teins because (in theory) they have decent adjustability for a reasonable price. Do I have prior experience with Tein's? No. The only set of Coilover's I've ever had in the past was a set from Ground Control that I had on my Celica. But I'm not afraid to experiment with something I've never used before.
I think trial and error is a pretty poor way to achieve desired results. There are objective ways to measure the performance of coilovers, or more specifically of springs and dampers. Unfortunately virtually every Japanese brand, including Tein, doesn't perform very well when examined objectively. If for you as a customer the most important things are, as you stated, adjustability and price then I guess Tein may not be a bad choice but are those things really more important to you than a comfortable ride that will still outperform the Teins in a track setting? Is lowering the car more important than retaining ideal suspension geometries? Are a lot of knobs to turn more important than having ideal valving without adjustability?

I'm not saying this to pick on you but the truth is you can't have everything and coilovers like the Tein SS give you a lot of bells and whistles at the cost of a basic quality product. They are severely over damped, they often have inconsistent spring rates, and they give you a bunch of adjustment knobs that are nowhere near linear and sometimes do nothing at all. Rather than taking a dart board approach and trying a lot of inferior products that people (who typically have no real knowledge of how to objectively measure the product) recommend, it would perhaps be a better idea to determine what you will use the car for and thus what you are looking for by making a specific modication. Only then can you pick a product that will meet your needs beyond the one to buy shiny parts. Hint: look for things like consistency between dampers and digressive damping instead of damping and ride height adjustability.

This link should point you in the right direction: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ft-86, ft-86 mods, ft-86 parts