follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #43
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro View Post
I don't get it. The highest speed limit i have seen is 70 so you can push 80-85 and thats abt it.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...eed-limit.html

As of July 1st speed limits in parts of Idaho and Wyoming are 80mph. Also one highway in Texas has been 85mph for a while. People will routinely do 90-100mph.
Creole (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #44
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
My dad is fond of saying that you buy a fast car so that you don't have to drive fast. The power is there when you need it. A slow car can only move slowly. When it's necessary to accelerate quickly, the slow car is limited, where the fast car isn't.

For example, I rented a Dodge Avenger that was a miserable dog of a car. It got me stuck in a left turn lane on the highway outside the Knoxville airport. The only gaps in oncoming traffic were too small to shoot with that piece of shit. If I had tried it, the car wouldn't have made it across in time, and I would have gotten smashed. So I was stuck there for almost ten minutes before there was finally a lull in traffic large enough to get across.

There are plenty of times when maneuverability or the ability to accelerate quickly can get you out of danger or just out of a jam. If you use that extra capability when you need it, you don't get caught up in everyone else's drama, so you still get where you need to go without having to drive fast the rest of the time.
What do you mean by "jam"?

My anemic 200hp gets me around left lane cruisers with ease and has got me in plenty of speeding trouble. Having three times the power is not going to get me to work faster or less trouble with the police.

What about all those countries where people are driving cars with double digit HP. Hell, they are starting to bring them here.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #45
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
What do you mean by "jam"?
Well, for instance...

Traffic in the right lane is going 65 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. Some asshole is in the left lane three cars up from you, matching the speed of the right lane and causing everyone behind him who wants to pass to wish him a violent and painful death. Why doesn't that prick just get over? There's a whole line of cars behind you waiting for this guy to die.

You're trapped in this traffic pattern until the entire group comes up on a truck going 60 in the right lane. There's a gap ahead of him that will close quickly, especially when the asshole blocking everyone floors it to keep anyone from going around him, then slows back down to 65 when he reaches the next car and nobody else can pass. When you reach that gap, you have two choices. You can wait in line impatiently like the other two people tailgating the leader, or you can floor it and go around all three of them in the right lane.

If you have a slow car, you stay in line and imagine you had rocket launchers on the roof.

If you have a fast car, you go for it. You might hit 95 or 100 miles per hour, but as soon as you're around him you slow back down to a reasonable 75 MPH. You're a half mile out ahead when the other two get around him, and they come flying past you at 90. You don't really care, because you've got nothing to prove.

Hence, if you have a fast car, you do not have to drive fast generally, because you have the power available to get out of jams without feeling a need to make up time. Those two back there who don't have fast cars feel like they need to floor it when the road is open to get past as many people as possible to avoid those situations.

The BRZ gets me out of jams like that all the time. It has just enough power, and it's nimble enough to use it. The 4.6L stroker in my Jeep has the straight line power, but the truck itself doesn't have the maneuverability. Drive two vehicles with such different capabilities regularly and you appreciate the ability to dance around jams the way the BRZ can.

Of course, where the Jeep excels is when the best way to avoid a problem on the road is just to leave the road altogether. The BRZ can't do that.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #46
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Well, for instance...

Traffic in the right lane is going 65 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. Some asshole is in the left lane three cars up from you, matching the speed of the right lane and causing everyone behind him who wants to pass to wish him a violent and painful death. Why doesn't that prick just get over? There's a whole line of cars behind you waiting for this guy to die.

You're trapped in this traffic pattern until the entire group comes up on a truck going 60 in the right lane. There's a gap ahead of him that will close quickly, especially when the asshole blocking everyone floors it to keep anyone from going around him, then slows back down to 65 when he reaches the next car and nobody else can pass. When you reach that gap, you have two choices. You can wait in line impatiently like the other two people tailgating the leader, or you can floor it and go around all three of them in the right lane.

If you have a slow car, you stay in line and imagine you had rocket launchers on the roof.

If you have a fast car, you go for it. You might hit 95 or 100 miles per hour, but as soon as you're around him you slow back down to a reasonable 75 MPH. You're a half mile out ahead when the other two get around him, and they come flying past you at 90. You don't really care, because you've got nothing to prove.

Hence, if you have a fast car, you do not have to drive fast generally, because you have the power available to get out of jams without feeling a need to make up time. Those two back there who don't have fast cars feel like they need to floor it when the road is open to get past as many people as possible to avoid those situations.

The BRZ gets me out of jams like that all the time. It has just enough power, and it's nimble enough to use it. The 4.6L stroker in my Jeep has the straight line power, but the truck itself doesn't have the maneuverability. Drive two vehicles with such different capabilities regularly and you appreciate the ability to dance around jams the way the BRZ can.
A valid anecdote, anyone who does long freeway commutes would deal with this almost daily. And I agree, the BRZ has plenty enough spunk to accomplish the task, UNLESS a 3.5 SE Altima CVT or equivalent is racing you for that gap... then it's down to reaction time and guts
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #47
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
A valid anecdote, anyone who does long freeway commutes would deal with this almost daily. And I agree, the BRZ has plenty enough spunk to accomplish the task, UNLESS a 3.5 SE Altima CVT or equivalent is racing you for that gap... then it's down to reaction time and guts
But that's what's great about the maneuverability of this car. Your reaction time is going to be faster because you can sling the car into the other lane and it just giggles. To the guy in the Altima, you were just behind him, and suddenly you appeared beside him. Did you just teleport? WTF?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
kcam86 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #48
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Frankly I think most people that are horny for power haven't really had anything with big power. Power isn't everything.
of course power isn't everything. but, in this context, i think we're using it to equate to 'acceleration', and i'd love to have a bit more of that from my BRZ. i don't care about top end speed at all.

while i haven't owned a car with big power, i've been riding sportbikes for the past 20 years. and it's mainly because i'm used to having that acceleration that driving a car feels so sluggish.

when passing slower vehicles legally while canyon driving, i've always found it safer to minimize the time spent in oncoming traffic lane. having a vehicle that can accelerate quickly helps in that regard.

but, i do find the question "why do people want a fast car?" to be strange, as people who buy this car buy it for its ability to take curves FAST. isn't that what 'handling' means? when you say a car handles well, it doesn't mean 'there's no body roll at 5mph in the parking lot'. it means that you want a car that can handle corners at a greater speed than a lesser-handling car. why do you want to take corners faster? because it's fun. all of us love speed, whether it's in a straight line or in corners, so really, why ask the question when you already have the answer? the question might as well be 'why do people want a car that handles well?' so people can respond: "why are you driving fast enough to need a better handling car? why not just take corners slower?"
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
STV3 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #49
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Drive a car with 500rwhp (or more) just once and you'll know why. The power is addicting…..it really is. I try to borrow my friends (multiple) cobra's when I can and give them a good beating (with the owner's blessing, of course). It's andrenaline rush for sure!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #50
SkevoX

Drives: 2013 Evo X GSR, 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Interesting thread...

Currently owning both an 86 and different pretty powerful car, I might be able to give an interesting perspective.

In short, I think people overrate power. I always thought faster was better. I got faster and more powerful cars as I switched around. But when I got something pretty fast, it was at a point where its just too much to use for the street. I can rarely WOT or rev it out. It wants a lot of room to stretch its legs. Its too much for autocross, I can only really push it during track days.

For the street and everyday driving, the 86 is great and better to drive. Its just easy to hop in and go, floor it everywhere, have fun. Now I'm not saying the 86 is perfect or it couldn't be more fun if it were more powerful, but it certainly isn't wrong answer or setup that some people think it is. 200hp in a 2700lb car is plenty quick enough for the street.

No saying having power isn't fun or exciting, it can be, but the novelty and experience wears off after a while. 600hp isn't 3x more fun than 200hp. Frankly I think most people that are horny for power haven't really had anything with big power. Power isn't everything.

600hp isn't 3x the fun... It's about 100x the fun. I will agree you have to be a lot more aware of the space you have for run down after a pull in a higher hp car

And horny for power I agree. But why not. No matter what you build you will always one day wounder "what if it made another 100hp" or "why didn't I get a bigger turbo" it's the underlying reason we all keep modding cars and pushing to get that little bit more out of them. Without that drive for wanting more there wouldn't be an aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SkevoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #51
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why do poeple want to live happy?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #52
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
My screen name is the fastest car of American in 1986, the trubo Regal. A big industructable V6 with turbo, EFI, and intercooler. Mine was freakin brown, a true 13 second sleeper.

It was faster than an 1986 corvet, $5 and a trip to the hardware stor and it was faster than anything on th road. A sleeper fast car is a bit thrilling but a flashy corvette isn't as thrilling.

Our cars will be sleeper in a decade, everyone knows they aren't fast but buy then we will have inexpensive turbo kit without the $900 tuning tax. That extra 60 whp will be thrilling.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #53
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'd be perfectly happy if this is the most powerful car I ever own aside from a towing vehicle, so many fun 'slow' cars out there from early RX-7s to Miatas to hot hatches (old GTI's, mini's, Mazda3/Protoge, current Abarth), Prelude, Integra/RSX, CRX, early Supra's, Porsche 924/944/914/912/early 911, Alfa Romeos and on and on.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
rice_classic (07-17-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #54
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Because you will never giggle harder than when you whack the throttle in 3rd gear and blow the tires off at 60mph.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LSxJunkie For This Useful Post:
SkevoX (07-11-2014), STV3 (07-11-2014), zenki_levin (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #55
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Because you will never giggle harder than when you whack the throttle in 3rd gear and blow the tires off at 60mph.
Ehhh it gets old after a while lol. FWD FTL
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #56
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Yup, getting on the throttle and lighting up the tires from a roll at 60mph can be quite entertaining

Except when you're actually trying to put power down

Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Ehhh it gets old after a while lol. FWD FTL

Torque steer FTW!
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
STV3 (07-11-2014)