follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone drive in the snow yet???

Just wondering if anyone has driven in the snow from this Nor'easter and what their experiences were. I still have my stock summers on and haven't needed to drive yet thanks to carpooling.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcars View Post
Just wondering if anyone has driven in the snow from this Nor'easter and what their experiences were. I still have my stock summers on and haven't needed to drive yet thanks to carpooling.
I have and will be unless I come into some money. The stock summer tires at freezing temps with the snow on the ground was something I do not want to experience again. If you plan on driving year round, I recommend a good set of tires and possible a second set of wheels for quick changing. After my tires were put on, it was a night/day difference!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
I have and will be unless I come into some money. The stock summer tires at freezing temps with the snow on the ground was something I do not want to experience again. If you plan on driving year round, I recommend a good set of tires and possible a second set of wheels for quick changing. After my tires were put on, it was a night/day difference!
Thanks for the input. I have a set of Blizzak LM-60s on a different set of wheels sitting in my parents garage. I just didn't expect it to snow this early and got caught off guard. Good to know the BRZ is fine with the right tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i drove my car in the snow yesterday after picking it up from toyota service and i was really shocked at how well it did on stock tires. There was no scary moments where i felt the car losing control at all.. i do agree that better tires whether its all seasons or winter are needed...Streets werent plowed at either so i was driving in about 6inch of snow ...cant believe its snowing in early november..i guess we had it coming since there was barely any snow last year
Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
i drove my car in the snow yesterday after picking it up from toyota service and i was really shocked at how well it did on stock tires. There was no scary moments where i felt the car losing control at all.. i do agree that better tires whether its all seasons or winter are needed...Streets werent plowed at either so i was driving in about 6inch of snow ...cant believe its snowing in early november..i guess we had it coming since there was barely any snow last year
Well we did have that freak storm the weekend before Halloween last year then we didn't have another till like January. Both of which melted in days.

Seems like it's going to happen again, since the forecast is calling for at least 4 days of 50 degree + weather. They say Monday is going to be 64!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Garage
Drove in the slush today on the stockers since my snow tires aren't mounted yet. Definitely some problems getting it to go from a stop but the TCS proved to be pretty impressive. I gave it some gas behind the warehouse when I got to work this morning without turning the tcs off and the car caught itself and straightened up very quickly every time.

I do not expect these tires will work well in anything more than the 1/2" of snow/slush mix that we have though.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GregV For This Useful Post:
rapidcars (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Well we did have that freak storm the weekend before Halloween last year then we didn't have another till like January. Both of which melted in days.

Seems like it's going to happen again, since the forecast is calling for at least 4 days of 50 degree + weather. They say Monday is going to be 64!
yea true! Thats why i didnt run out and buy some winter tires yet but i should. I have a set of all-seasons in my house...they are 225/45/17 instead of 215/45/17 but i just might throw them on anyway..they are continental procontact which should hold me off a little while
Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
i drove back from work yesterday during the storm (about 20mi, but more because of the detour i had to take with closed roads) and they weren't as bad as i expected. this was my first time driving in snow with a RWD car as well as summer tires. i took it generally slow when i was alone on roads, but i kept up with traffic on the highway. there was only one moment while i was on the highway that i had an issue. at one point i had let my speed drop too much so i wanted to bring it up to match traffic so i applied slowly, as i had been doing the entire ride, and i just kept starting to tail out to the right. i tried it twice and it happened each time so i just rolled for a bit. guy behind me had backed off after he saw me slip so i had time to roll. tried it again after a minute or so and i was ok. no issues for the rest of the trip until i got to my driveway haha. i got halfway on and just got stuck. had to wait for cars to pass, back straight out and speed in to make it up. would i do it again? hell no. i already have my winters, they're just not on the wheels so i couldn't put them on the car. i woulda had them ready for yesterday, but the forecast didn't say anything like this.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
rapidcars (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
dj_mallu

Drives: BRZ-L Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I drove in the snow yesterday and today with stock tires. It was better than I expected. I did slip couple of times but we did have about 6-7" of snow.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_mallu View Post
I drove in the snow yesterday and today with stock tires. It was better than I expected. I did slip couple of times but we did have about 6-7" of snow.
By any chance were you at the end of season Bear Mountain meet a few months back?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
tjdiz92

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S MT
I drove home last night on the stock tires, from a stop I found it extremely hard to get going and I had to turn off all assists as they were making it impossible to go. But once going it seemed to hold find. Took me like 5 minutes to get up this little hill out of a parking lot. It was pretty fun though haha drifting this thing in the snow was great. Would consider winter tires though if it's going to be your daily through the winter.
2013 Argento Scion FR-S M/T 15% tint-6k HID headlights-6k HID blinker Switch backs-LED domelight-LED reverse lights-LED license plate light-Gloss black roof-Hertz audio components w/ 2 10 inch kicker L'3s.
tjdiz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
I got my winter Pirelli Sottozero Series II onto my OEMs yesterday morning, and was mounting them on the car as the snow started falling around 11AM. The car did fine in the snow. It started fine, and it stopped very well. I only had one tough spot, and that was going up my steep driveway. It wasn't plowed yet and because I always have to approach it slowly and almost at a stop so I don't bottom out the front bumper, I had no momentum. I didn't want to keep trying and piss of the neighbors with my exhaust, so I just parked it on the street. I did do some light drifting around corners though. Haha.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
dj_mallu

Drives: BRZ-L Black
Quote:
By any chance were you at the end of season Bear Mountain meet a few months back?
Sorry not me I haven't been to any meets yet
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_mallu View Post
Sorry not me I haven't been to any meets yet
Ah, ok. Met someone there who had a black BRZ limited with the gas cap sticker who was from southern NY. Figured I would ask. :happy0180: