follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #57
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
What did you decide ?
I will post an update with pictures when I get home today. Thank you for your reminder and thank you everyone for the input and feedback.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #58
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Yes!
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
dowroa (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #59
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Patently waiting

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
dowroa (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #60
dowroa
Old Guy

Good Day! @GrantedTaken , thanks for your patience.

I am going to have to give you more information on my specific case. As you have seen above, there are many reasons to go either way. A lot of it really does rely on your point in life and what you are looking.

Both cars still meet my needs. I still see a certain 2017 BRZ PP in the parking garage where I work every day that haunts me. It will happen at some point. I am sure.

Background:

I am not sure I can give you adequate background about this decision, as it has been one I have been considering for 10+ years at this point.

The short of it is, since 2009 I was researching for the right car to be a third car for track/autoX. At the time, it came down to Corvette and MX5 due to suspension configurations and weight.

At that time, the BRZ wasn't a factor.

Two Years Ago:

I purchased the C5Z06 after literally searching forever and resigning myself to my budget that was safe and affordable. Note that even after purchase, the price of this car *costs less* than any new BRZ, period. Therefore, I have a 3000lb, 405 hp 6MT with *no* unneeded nannies or electronics I have to worry about for less than the cost of the cheapest cars nowadays with originally 8k miles and 100% stock.. I see this as a positive.

At the time, life wasn't going well, and the Corvette really helped to have a focus.

I wasn't in the position to race or anything other than enjoy it daily, which I did and still do.

Today:

I am now in a much better place with a good job I enjoy and time to have dealt with life.

I found a local reputable LS-mechanic who this week changed out the valve springs (known to fail on the 02s) and understands my goals for the car (no overheating, need oiling) and does quality work (hard to find). I can do the alignment/suspension, so I have all the basis covered for concerns for what I can and *can't* do myself on the car (engine/transmission).

Also, taking the car around the southeast Unitest States (no matter the car) has always been the goal. I enjoyed all the Subaru Challenges I did from 02 - 05 with my wife. That is the type of family travel I can get behind.

I already have the 02z06 that just has been in hibernation. With TNiA now being a thing, there are more positives that exists to get this done and a way to get it done.

Most importantly, I have a wife and kids that love the Corvette. All three of them have heard about this endlessly, and at this time they and trusted friends unanimously agree I need to walk the C5 path after the 10+ years of discussions we have had. I can 100% ensure you that a C7GS will be in my future as well (that is as far as I think I am going with the brand).

The ability to get on the track with a reliable and affordable solution is the goal.

What about the BRZ?

That isn't going away. A 17+ PP is going to happen. The limiting factor is I have a 16 STi that has a specific purpose (back-up 4dr family car) which the family loves and I *can* put everyone into.

The purpose of the BRZ overlaps with both cars (STi and Z06), so at this time, it is a compromised solution.

Also, I have 3-4 years until I have a 3rd driver in the family. Purchasing a 17+ PP now would take away from the ability to do trackdays which was the whole purpose of ANY car. Also, when the new driver starts driving, it will be most likely in a used Impreza wagon or Crosstrek -- not a BRZ. The wife and I discussed that. She won with the Impreza/Forester/Crosstrek (see: original reason I was looking for an old FXT wagon for rallyX).

Could I sell the Corvette? Yes. That would not bother me. The BRZ does add some more functionality to the 3rd car and I LOVE the aftermarket and community for the car. However, after having talked to the whole circle again, we all rationally agree that while it *could* make sense, I should give what I have a shot.. and I don't disagree.

From the previous posts, a rallyX car was in the cards. Now, it is not just due to events competing for time. That is also another path I will go down. However, I may do that with a 2016 STi in a few years (if I could find a rally suspension for the car... sigh).

Conclusion:

So, does the BRZ make sense and still have a case in this discussion? Yes. It most definitely does.

Could it still work for me? You bet. It is a very strong option that still could happen.

However, for now, the fact I have solutions for a lot of the problems I was running into the Corvette means I can move forward. And, to me, being able to enjoy a car and have experiences is what I was looking for.

I just hope I continue to have the time to enjoy it with my family.

Thanks for the questions and interest. If there is anything I have left out, just let me know and I will do my best to address it!

Pictures:

I will provide these later. I just have work to do now!

Last edited by dowroa; 07-25-2019 at 08:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
why? (08-09-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #61
GrantedTaken
Banned

Keep your life simple.
You don't need another car.
Invest your money
Old 08-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #62
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Keep your life simple.
Invest your money
Already have the car and a retirement.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #63
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Keep your life simple.
Invest your money
why? We are all going to die within a few decades. Everyone agrees our society is crumbling or our environment is crumbling and massive chaos and death is going to happen. Savings won't help when all the banks close.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #64
GrantedTaken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
why? We are all going to die within a few decades. Everyone agrees our society is crumbling or our environment is crumbling and massive chaos and death is going to happen. Savings won't help when all the banks close.
Typical mindset of a broke idiot.
Never take advice from broke idiots.

Let us know how you're doing when you've pissed every dime
and did not account for being laid off for 3 years, or getting cancer, or a countless other things that will come up long before you are dead several decades from now.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #65
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

and did not account for being laid off for 3 years, or getting cancer, or a countless other things that will come up long before you are dead several decades from now.
aww, poor little bitch can't take a joke. Your words prove how clueless and evil you are. I don't even need to add anything.

If you are that scared of what people think of you, I'm guessing you are the one without any money. Awful human beings like you add zero to the world.

They are already taxing savings in other countries. Pretty soon they will be taxing retirements and everything else people have. Odds are good even if we miraculously survive the obvious downfall of our civilization, you won't have anything that you cannot carry with you.

Oh and good luck finding a happy retiree that actually can live off of their "retirement." Most can't. Many wish they had never retired at all because they are bored out of their mind. Others are forced to get crappy part time jobs to pay the bills. And every so often the "retirement age" is raised yet again.

But go ahead and pretend your fictional retirement fantasy will actually happen if it makes this disgusting life bearable.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #66
GrantedTaken
Banned

It's not about retirement.
It's about having FU money to do whatever I want TODAY
Old 08-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #67
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

You've got some serious issues.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #68
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I fail to see how anything Granted has said makes him someone with "serious issue", "clueless", "evil."

Sure, maybe the sarcasm went over his head, but I don't see any issues otherwise. Everything he's said is logical....

Back to CAR TALK.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imped4now For This Useful Post:
dowroa (08-17-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #69
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
DON'T DO IT.

The corvette is SO cheap to maintain, modify and run. Actual costs are pretty comparable and the only thing cheaper between my c5z and brz are tires. Any real power in the brz is costly and things that should be cheap (headers for example) are not. Plus the ls6 is infinitely more mod friendly and reliable than the fa20. Plus the t56.... way more durable.

I had a ton of fun and gained a lot of experience with my C5z and thought I'd try something different with the brz (had four lsx vehicles prior). I should've bought another vette, honestly. The whole slow car fast mantra here is overused. Imo it's much better to drive a fast car slow..... and be able able to go fast rather than a slow car always being slow except during certain conditions. Especially conditions that would favor the fast car anyways.

Also, comparing a sports car like the Corvette to a v8 pony car is not a fair comparison.

The brz isnt a bad car, but the c5z is a GREAT car.
This times a million. A friend of mine just got a c5z, brought it to autox this past weekend and mopped the floor with everyone. I took it for a spin and was blown away by it.

I’m not sure where the argument comes up that you can wring the Twins out to their full potential on a public road and have it be under the limit. By the top of third, you’re into speeding territory and still have 3 gears to go?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote