follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's a personal choice - end of story.

It's not like they poop on the Scions at the factory.

On that same notion, do you guys not hit up the dollar store? I still hit up all the crappy places I used to go to when my parents were fresh immigrants and money was hard to come by. They have their purposes.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
acg2010 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #16
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Cheap labor, low taxes, cost cutting, always will be consequences.
I love the guys swapping badges off the Scion. It's like seriously, you aint fooling no one.
yes and no.....i swapped my badges out for the kuhl racing emblems and people stare hard trying to figure out what it is. no joke i was at napa and an employee walked out and said "i know its not a porsche or ferrari.....what is it? however yesterday i was tinkering around under the hood when a high school girl walked by and said "scion right?"
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
yes and no.....i swapped my badges out for the kuhl racing emblems and people stare hard trying to figure out what it is. no joke i was at napa and an employee walked out and said "i know its not a porsche or ferrari.....what is it? however yesterday i was tinkering around under the hood when a high school girl walked by and said "scion right?"

I don't have a problem with it, nothing wrong with it. I just have never seen so many people so phobic about this before with any car I have ever owned, sure people de-badged but never swapped so much.

Personally I think the entire branding for the car is one of the most stupid I have seen, worse than the old Chrysler/Plymouth/Mitsubishi nonsense in the 80s.

The badge swapping just makes it even more confusing, because lets face it the car maybe psuedo designed/invented by Toyota but its all Subaru top to bottom with the exception being the DI system. I hate explaining this car to people, by the end of the second sentence they are already are ignoring me.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't have a problem with it, nothing wrong with it. I just have never seen so many people so phobic about this before with any car I have ever owned, sure people de-badged but never swapped so much.

Personally I think the entire branding for the car is one of the most stupid I have seen, worse than the old Chrysler/Plymouth/Mitsubishi nonsense in the 80s.

The badge swapping just makes it even more confusing, because lets face it the car maybe psuedo designed/invented by Toyota but its all Subaru top to bottom with the exception being the DI system. I hate explaining this car to people, by the end of the second sentence they are already are ignoring me.
i feel ya. the only time i really explain it is to another car enthusiast. if its just a "normal" person i say subaru and toyato got together and built this car. thats why theres a subaru version and scion version.
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post

I see it all the time with some (again, SOME) of the BRZ owners. They think they are better. Who gives a rat's ass?
Who gives a hoot. Seriously,it's the same car. When people ask, I always say it's the same as the Scion FRS.

I honestly have more respect for people like @Dezoris who works on cars, and spreading the knowledge to everyone else who enjoys the same platform; I don't give a shit what else he drives. I have zero respect for "enthusiasts" who don't even know how to tighten their own lug nut, even if they drive a Lambo.

Edit: Or a cars.com editor missing out just because he's being an idiot and in the end contributing nothing to the car world.
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy32 For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
I have toyota badges on mine...

Toyota is dumb to even have the scion brand here. the GT86 name would be reinstated some sort of respect into the toyota name that has been gone since the 90s...
Tim_Asphalt_FRS (06-19-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Having owned a Genesis Coupe I can tell you they love their badge swaps too. Mainly to this one below. I think many of them think their car looks like an Aston Martin.. But in the end, it is still a Hyundai

thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (06-23-2014), Lonewolf (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
noobcake

Drives: EVO X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Having owned a Genesis Coupe I can tell you they love their badge swaps too. Mainly to this one below. I think many of them think their car looks like an Aston Martin.. But in the end, it is still a Hyundai

I would honestly keep the hyundai logo instead of that wing. Hyundai has a much better lineup of cars that I wouldn't mind owning than it did 10 years ago
noobcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:

Thats so KDM, I can't even speak.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #24
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
this kind of argument keeps popping up and i never understand a couple things about it. badge snobbery confuses me. heres a tip, you dont know more about marketing and selling cars than toyota. if youre silly enough to buy two sets of badges for one car nobody, let alone a multi billion dollar company should be taking finanial/business advice from you. then there is the heritage talk. scion doesnt really have any heritage but what does subaru have? a couple wrc titles from a couple decades ago?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

My '14 3.8 is blank, all it says is "Genesis Coupe" in Script on the left and'3.8" on the right. No company badge of any kind. Thats from factory.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #26
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
badges obviously do make a difference, otherwise toyota would not have made the decision/choice to market the car differently in north america than the rest of the world.
to me, it's like the pontiac firebird/chevy camaro thing, or chevy blazer/GMC jimmy. there's a difference in the perception and personal preference, no matter how similar the products are. call it shallow or whatever, but the fault lies with the manufacturer for creating different perceptions by using two different badges/brands, and the marketing associated with those brands.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Jose_Timberlake (06-18-2014), mweidner311 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #27
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
I see it all the time with some (again, SOME) of the BRZ owners. They think they are better.
I AM better though.

I was looking at buying an xB for my parents. They're over 65, so the fact that it's low to the ground (not having to step up or step down), the seating isn't super conforming and streamlined (easier on the knee replacements), it's pretty reliable, and it gets good mileage are tremendous marks in its favor.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #28
mweidner311

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86868686 View Post
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...i-want-to.html

This probably has been mentioned before. Obviously Subaru has more heritage and maturity to its name. But I almost agree with him. I'm in my thirties now and I to almost feel embarrassed about driving a Scion. Even though I still love my car and the BRZ front end is ugly IMHO, I feel I would get a lot more respect simply by bearing the Plieades cluster. Oh well, I'm not going to trade in for a BRZ simply because of the name. BRZ owners be grateful you dont have this problem. I dont know where I'm going with this post. They should have made it a Toyota (in north america) I guess!?
Well said I am 30 as well and I feel some what ashamed and embarrassed when I tell people my weekend play car is a Scion FR-S. Feels cheap and poor if you will to me and it feels that way every time I mention it Scion smh feel like it should have neons on it then and some terrible commercial marketing towards kids...

just do what I did change the badges to Toyota and tell everyone its a toyota 8 6. Its not our fault the Toyota North American marketing team is retarded....

Edit: I didn't buy the BRZ because I thought the front end is ugly would have liked the added features of the limited but not for the scratch they wanted... and I agree with the consumerism quote earlier on I think I just feel like the car is "cheapened" if you will due to the mostly cheap (price wise) cars Scion sells. I feel when I tell people its a Scion they automatically think its cheap and have no idea what an incredibly awesome and capable drivers car this is. Don't know why I feel this way but anyways like others stated F em she puts a big smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel
mweidner311 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mweidner311 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-18-2014)