follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #1107
rin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Went to advanced auto to get a new turn signal bulb and the kid behind the counter asked me if I had a Trueno or Levin 86....

I swear I get the weirdest questions/statements said about this car than I ever had with an ae86. I rather have someone telling me my ae86 was a Honda Accord or mistaken my is300 with a civic with altezza lights, than all of the dumb "facts" I get with the FR-S
Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #1108
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Gonna admit I'm real jealous of all these stories. Brz and frs are so common up here in NorCal people don't even look at me when I drive by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #1109
mr_squirrel

Drives: 2017 86 Halo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Gonna admit I'm real jealous of all these stories. Brz and frs are so common up here in NorCal people don't even look at me when I drive by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thing is when I see another twin and try to wave or something, and it's the most uninterested looking 40+ male that looks like they want to quit their job.

You're driving a fun car. SMILE!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #1110
Wondark
Driver

Drives: MY17 CWP BRZ Limited w/PP
Have passed by a few people now in BRZ/GT86/FRSs and get a wave or nod every time. They seem to have the same reaction I do. I don't see many of these cars around the city let alone the suburbs that I live in but it's nice when I do.

A old friend of mine showed up at the grocery while I was putting groceries away in the trunk. I motioned for him to come over to me while I put them away and we had a bit of a conversation. A young guy from out of state parks across from my car and promptly moves towards me. I'm not trying to ignore him but want to continue talking with my friend.

Is this a GT86?
(trying not to have an all day conversation) Yes, sort of.
It looks real nice.
Thank you.
*looks around the car* Is it stick?
Yes.
Can I look at the inside? (i assume he doesn't mean open the door from his motioning)
Sure.
(While peeking through the windows)I used to have a scion tc didn't scion make these cars...wait is this a subaru? Isn't toyota..?
Yes.
Well I won't bother you, you have a nice car but I wish they had a turbo like my scion tc.
Well for $6000 more you can have a turbo too!
*he laughs* yeah ok cool *he goes toward the grocery*

I finished my conversation with my friend and went through the drive-thru at DQ and was told it would take a moment for the food to cook. They asked me to pull to the door near the front of the building. A young lady with my chicken strips only moments later says,
"I like your car!"
(thought I should say "I'm married" as a joke but instead say)"Thank you."
"Here's your order."
"Thank you."

This is the best I've got so far. Lot's of rubbernecking and weird gibberish yelled out windows though. A fair share of women and men. An older gentlemen walking with a female on the sidewalk passed me while I was in a bit of traffic, the guy starred for longer than was comfortable.
Wondark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wondark For This Useful Post:
MileMonger (03-29-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #1111
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2 recent encounters.

First, I cold-started and backed out of my garage. With the OFH3 recently installed, it's a little loud and rumbly on cold start. A group of kids, ages 8-13 maybe, were throwing around a football in the park across the street. I could see them look over when I started up. Eventually, the bravest big kid walked up behind me squinting at the back of my car, then returned to his buddies to tell them what kind of car it is. No conversation, but it was a fun encounter.

Second, I gave a buddy a ride to meet up with his wife at the pedicure salon. They just bought a car with push-button start, and she had driven off in the car alone, while HE had the key fob in his pocket. When she shut if off at the salon, they were both stranded, about 5 miles apart, and they didn't notice until she finished her pedicure. The dudes from the salon are car guys, and they came out to ask questions about the FRS when I pulled in the lot. Thumbs up all around.
2015 Halo Scion FR-S 6MT new w/TRD exhaust, cold air intake, quick shifter, sway bars, lowering springs, & brake pads. Since then, TRD door braces, strut tower bar, & battery tie-down, Motul fluids in trans/diff & brakes, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Stoptech stainless brakelines, OpenFlash Header 3 w/overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet on E85
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #1112
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
On my way home from work, a group of kids playing basket ball on the street yelled, "nice car"

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #1113
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Gas Station Encounter

Occasionally I'll still get gas station encounters -- which blows my mind because this car has been available for 5+ years and there are plenty of them on the road. I'd figure most people know what they are now... I guess a tastefully modified 86 segments the car to look more expensive and exotic than a stock 86.

Anyway, here's my conversation from last night while filling up at a QT...

Two guys in a car finish pumping gas and then drive over to me, slowing down to get a better look.

"Is that actually yours?"
Yeah, it is. Still perplexed by that question

"What's the monthly payment?"
There isn't one.

"What do you mean there isn't one?"
There isn't one, it's all paid for.

"What do you do for a living?" I hate this question
What do I do for a living?

"Yeah, how can a young guy like you afford that?"
I deflect by looking over at his car, which is the last generation Camry.
You know this car is not as expensive as you think... What kind of Camry is that, LE, XLE?

"SE"
Yeah, this is probably 2-3 grand more than your Camry. It's a FR-S, now called the Toyota 86.

He looks over at his buddy and he mentions Scion, etc, finally realizing what the car is... which is not $250k+.
"...oh it's the Scion... how fast you get it up to...?"
Plenty fast, but it's not really meant for straights...

Non-car enthusiast small talk continues and eventually I'm mentally checked out of the conversation.

Alright guys, I gotta run. Drive safely!
While I'm getting in my car, the Camry launches forward with all the FWD fury a Camry SE can unleash. He circles around the station and gives me a few beeps as he passes by, leaving me to ponder what just happened.

I would probably hate being an exotic car owner and dealing with non-car enthusiast banter.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
MileMonger (06-08-2017), soulreapersteve (06-19-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #1114
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
Occasionally I'll still get gas station encounters -- which blows my mind because this car has been available for 5+ years and there are plenty of them on the road. I'd figure most people know what they are now... I guess a tastefully modified 86 segments the car to look more expensive and exotic than a stock 86.

Anyway, here's my conversation from last night while filling up at a QT...

Two guys in a car finish pumping gas and then drive over to me, slowing down to get a better look.

"Is that actually yours?"
Yeah, it is. Still perplexed by that question

"What's the monthly payment?"
There isn't one.

"What do you mean there isn't one?"
There isn't one, it's all paid for.

"What do you do for a living?" I hate this question
What do I do for a living?

"Yeah, how can a young guy like you afford that?"
I deflect by looking over at his car, which is the last generation Camry.
You know this car is not as expensive as you think... What kind of Camry is that, LE, XLE?

"SE"
Yeah, this is probably 2-3 grand more than your Camry. It's a FR-S, now called the Toyota 86.

He looks over at his buddy and he mentions Scion, etc, finally realizing what the car is... which is not $250k+.
"...oh it's the Scion... how fast you get it up to...?"
Plenty fast, but it's not really meant for straights...

Non-car enthusiast small talk continues and eventually I'm mentally checked out of the conversation.

Alright guys, I gotta run. Drive safely!
While I'm getting in my car, the Camry launches forward with all the FWD fury a Camry SE can unleash. He circles around the station and gives me a few beeps as he passes by, leaving me to ponder what just happened.

I would probably hate being an exotic car owner and dealing with non-car enthusiast banter.
My standard response to "is it fast?" Is "it is RWD". This response weeds out the pretenders in a hurry. If they go "ahhh yes" and nod knowingly then you know they don't know squat about cars but somehow figure that if it is RWD it must be "fast". If they look confused or say "what?" you know they understand how cars actually work and you can have a reasonable conversation with them.

Scion is a pretty rare brand around here so many people believe it to be some exotic and very expensive. The orange colour doesn't help much either I guess.
MileMonger (06-08-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #1115
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
I picked up my brother-in-law at the airport in my FR-S and when I pulled up to the curb, he had this goofy grin on his face. He said "I don't remember your car being THIS good looking. Is this new?"

But his enthusiasm quickly faded after just 10 minutes of "embarrassing" track pad squeal on the street LOL. It's funny - I was in the process of explaining to him why the pads squeal and didn't need to be replaced when a random dude in the parking lot yelled out "Those sound like track pads!" I turned to my bro in law and was like yeah basically that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #1116
arxm

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2023 BRZ
every now and then i get guys in parking lots tell me i have a nice car LOL a couple of times I've had drive through employees ask me about the car, its nice even though these cars aren't super rare here

2023 Ignition Red BRZ 6MT awaiting boost
arxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #1117
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
so there was a dude checking out my car as I was coming out from lunch Wednesday. he was looking for a few minutes as it took me a bit to get to it from where I could see. he kept walking back and forth, looking in the windows, then at the back and so on. so I finally get there and he's saying how cool it looks and blah blah blah. then he goes, "yeah, it looks like one of those Fast and Furious cars.".

I said, "dude and here I was liking you. now you've ruined it. ". it's a kinda stock DGM with wheels and exhaust being all you can see. F&F....FML
echo419 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #1118
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It is an F&F car. For real.

I know where there's a rock you can rent the basement underneath.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #1119
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
It is an F&F car. For real.

I know where there's a rock you can rent the basement underneath.
Well this didn't help:

Clipdat (06-20-2017), mazeroni (06-21-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #1120
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Last week while at a red light, a homeless guy walked up and yelled "nice car"!

I said thanks but I know he just wanted some money...
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-19-2017)