follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #113
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevs753 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place but I seem to have oil leaking from the drain plug after my first and second oil changes. The first change, I used a new crush washer and insured that the old washer was off the plug. The second time, I replaced the plug with a fumoto valve.

When tightening the valve/plug down, I didn't use my torque wrench but i tightened it to the point where I thought i would strip the drain if I continued. When I went to change my oil for the second time, I noticed oil on and around the drain plug before draining the oil. I checked the other day and I still appear to be leaking oil from around the fumoto valve.

Did I miss a step somewhere? Am i just not tightening the plug enough? Could it be something else?
Did you make sure you have the gasket for the fumoto valve on there?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #114
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Did you make sure you have the gasket for the fumoto valve on there?
It was on but still leaking.

The leak was fixed. I put the original drain bolt back on (with a new crush washer) and got out my torque wrench to make sure it was tight enough. After several turns past where I thought I would strip the drain, It was tight enough. No leaks since then.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #115
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^Torque wrenches are good . . . until they go out of calibration.

Just sayin' . . . .
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #116
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
FYI Some folks on Bob the Oil Guy pointed out that having a drain plug magnet could lead to an oil blockage, like so: that super-strength Dimple magnet collects a whole lotta metal, then a bunch of it breaks off and circulates to a narrow place in the system . . . and there's your blockage.

While I like the magnet idea, there could be unintended consequences, especially with a super-strength magnet. Frequent oil changes or frequent oil changes with an adequate-strength magnet may be just as good an option.
im almost at 1000 miles and plan to do an oil change soon so im looking at what i need to gather before i do it...

i was looking around and saw the fumoto oil drain valve which seems like a great idea and would be perfect for quick and less messy oil changes but im not sure if that is really necessary for me since im going with eneos sustina oil which will last over 5k+ miles before another change is necessary... while reading about the fumoto i see people using that with the magentic oil filter clasp thing, (i forgot the name of it) which wraps around the oil filter instead? can anyone chime in about the set up and which would be a preferable choice for someone in my situation?
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #117
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
that with the magentic oil filter clasp thing, (i forgot the name of it) which wraps around the oil filter instead?

When I saw that item, all I could think of was: Do I want to introduce magnets into the engine bay? Is there even a small chance that magnets might interfere with things like the ECU?

Maybe it's just me . . . .
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #118
frs10

Garage
Quote:
When I saw that item, all I could think of was: Do I want to introduce magnets into the engine bay? Is there even a small chance that magnets might interfere with things like the ECU?

good question, can someone chime in?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #119
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

This is a good question, and while we have never seen any issues with magnets near the filter, but I suppose if it was closer to the ECU or the electronics, it could be an issue. I think you would be fine running a filter magnet personally

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #120
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Marrk, @frs10

Looks like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Pan-Filter-Magnet-Neodymium/dp/B005RH44VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379018489&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+filter+magnet"]this [/ame]will work good. Rather than attaching/covering the filter with magnetic stuff that could "potentially" damage electrical components in engine bay, stick this under the oil pan? I don't know, but this should pull good amount of metal particles while oil moves around.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #121
Marrk

I like the idea of a magnet on the oil drain plug, but what are we really talking about here?

It used to be the case that new engines would throw off some metal flash during break-in. Now, the technology has improved to such an extent that many believe that you can expect much less of this, and it pretty much all comes out in the first oil change.

As for after the break-in period, if you guys are finding lots of metal on your drain plug magnets, you've got some real problems.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #122
Boom
(Jo_o)J

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhines View Post
The OP had a good replacement using a magnetic plug. It does not help with a real problem but it might help diagnose issues.

WOW! you guys can make this WAY over complicated. It is an oil change for god's sake. I have a dry sumped SBC track car and I don't put this much thought into an oil change. Use a 6 point socket and remove the drain plug like a man. The Fuckyermoto valve is ridiculous. Why would you add another point of failure to a beautifully simple drain plug. It is not like you change the oil every day at the track... get some fuzzy dice while your at it.

The filter is inverted... wet the element with a small amount of oil and screw it on... no need to fill it up at all. You are just going to dump oil all over the place.
This post got me dying.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #123
frs10

Garage
Quote:
I like the idea of a magnet on the oil drain plug, but what are we really talking about here?

It used to be the case that new engines would throw off some metal flash during break-in. Now, the technology has improved to such an extent that many believe that you can expect much less of this, and it pretty much all comes out in the first oil change.

As for after the break-in period, if you guys are finding lots of metal on your drain plug magnets, you've got some real problems.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?
very interested for people to chime in
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #124
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My first oil change @ 400kms = metal particles a plenty on oil pan, 2nd oil change @ 7500kms = nothing to the naked eye !

Magnet = not necessary :|

Change oil & filter often & your engine will love you for a very long time
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
Marrk (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #125
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
My first oil change @ 400kms = metal particles a plenty on oil pan, 2nd oil change @ 7500kms = nothing to the naked eye !

Woah why you change your oil do quick for the first time?

Isn't it every 7000km?

And whats with all the metal particles?

Im only at 1200km for now and hopefully no metal particles :p
Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #126
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post

This is what I have always done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrk For This Useful Post:
ZZT86 (09-13-2013)