follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #43
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
once upon a time while i was getting my car serviced i asked the mechanic if i could just observe while he worked on my car and i asked a few questions. i found it to be very informative..youve pretty much got all your options laid out before my post tho...diy is always the best place to learn for yourself
Eski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuningshen View Post
p.s. In my experience, its a lot easier if you're mechanically inclined. If you have more of an engineering, calculating (read: overthinking) mind it makes it harder.
Why?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #45
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoh View Post
I know I'm a total noob at this and I know there's tons of info on the web, but sometimes it feels like there's TOO much info. When you know little to nothing and every website is using terminology designed for people who already understand these things, it gets confusing.

I've tried reading some articles, but not every writer is good at explaining things.
I get the basic concepts, but it's hard to figure out where to start is the problem.

I'm all for learning and trying, but I learn from doing, far more than I do from reading or watching videos. I'd love to learn, but I just have to figure out where to start.
I feel your pain. You describe it well. It is overwhelming. That's where it's good to have a real-life mentor to help point you in the right direction. Each hands-on experience adds to your mental tool kit, especially the missteps.

You will fuck up. A sense of humour goes a long way.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #46
Zoh

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I know I'll fuck up at some point. Nobody is perfect. I'm willing to fuck up if it means I'm learning.

That being said, I think I'm going to go to the junkyard and see if I can find a front bumper (and hubcaps haha)
I'll buy brake rotors and pads new online.

I know I can do this.
Zoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #47
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I know I'll fuck up at some point. Nobody is perfect. I'm willing to fuck up if it means I'm learning.

That being said, I think I'm going to go to the junkyard and see if I can find a front bumper (and hubcaps haha)

I know I can do this.
Yes you can!

Look at the junkyards and salvage places online and don't be afraid to make some calls. Tell them you're new at this and ask questions. Many (most?) places are members of a larger group and share inventory info with each other. YMMV.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #48
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I know I can do this.
I'm going to throw a nod to your local auto parts store rather than online for the pads and rotors. Not Auto Zone etc but a real local shop. About ten years ago when I started working on my cars again for basic work I went to one of the local stores and they are a wealth of knowledge and turned me onto things like Centric rotors and some very affordable brake pads that lasted 48,000 miles for the same price as I was finding online. Since then they have saved me many hours of time researching things and have also saved me much agony over what's worth spending my $$ on and what's not. Sometimes they cost a bit more but they know me now and are able to steer me in the right direction every time, they also know all of the local mechanics and point me to the one that is best at things I may not be good at.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #49
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
From one career IT professional to another I bestow on to you the gift of http://www.mightycarmods.com/

I highly encourage anyone remotely interested in a car moding to give these guy's a go. Simply go to the video section and in the lop left, of the latest video, just click play list and enjoy all their work.

Good bunch of lads from Sydney that will not only cover loads of mods, all the way up to engine swaps, but have you laughing along the way.

If you don't know where to start this amazing little piece of work will make you an insta fan

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ptzKKcLpA"]Turbos and Temples - Mighty Car Mods Feature Film - YouTube[/ame]
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #50
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Another Golden Rule: Use the correct (best available) tool for the job.

Yet Another Golden Rule: If you need a tool to do the job, buy it. You will use it again.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #51
Zoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I'm going to throw a nod to your local auto parts store rather than online for the pads and rotors. Not Auto Zone etc but a real local shop. About ten years ago when I started working on my cars again for basic work I went to one of the local stores and they are a wealth of knowledge and turned me onto things like Centric rotors and some very affordable brake pads that lasted 48,000 miles for the same price as I was finding online. Since then they have saved me many hours of time researching things and have also saved me much agony over what's worth spending my $$ on and what's not. Sometimes they cost a bit more but they know me now and are able to steer me in the right direction every time, they also know all of the local mechanics and point me to the one that is best at things I may not be good at.
This is great advice and I really appreciate it!
For my BRZ when I get it, I'll definitely go that route, but for this Versa, I just need parts that will last me 6-12 months TOPS. maybe less. I really just wanna go with whatever's cheapest for the Versa.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #52
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I really just wanna go with whatever's cheapest for the Versa.
Not a good place to start for nearly anything and I'm getting feels for the next owner of that Versa.

You can start your path to learning stuff immediately rather than sometime later by introducing yourself to potential local gurus.

Might want to double check back here once in a while though.
Just because someone can talk your ears off doesn't mean the aren't pulling your leg.
Oh, wait... that happens here too.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #53
Zoh

So I bought some brake rotors and pads today. Just gotta wait for them to arrive.

I'm goig to give this all a shot and start there.
After the pads and rotors are done, I'll put on a new front bumper and if I can get them, headlight housings.

Since I'm stuck with this POS for a few more months, I'm at least going to improve its resell value and make it look a little nicer so I'm not so ashamed of driving it every day.

It's going to need a lot of work at the end of the day, but I have to make the best of my situation and at least get it looking half decent so I can get a little more resale value out of it. I figured I can probably do the bumper for around $200-$250, paint and everything, so that'll be my next project after the brakes (Cos ya know. Safety.)

I'll keep anyone who's interested up to date on my progress and learning. ^.^
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Between fixing up this Versa, paying it off, and fixing up my credit, I'll hopefully be able to get a way better deal in a few months on either a 2016 model (If they do something nice or a special edition that I like) for the same monthly cost as what I'm looking at now, or save even more and get a 2013 after the new ones release.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #54
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a few books for the library:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Car-Hacks-Mods-For-Dummies/dp/0764571427"]Car Hacks & Mods For Dummies: David Vespremi: 0785555887121: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Handling-Street-Track-suspension/dp/0760339945/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421253477&sr=1-1&keywords=suspension"]High-Performance Handling for Street or Track: Vehicle dynamics, suspension mods & setup - Anti-roll bars, camber adjust (Motorbooks Workshop): Don Alexander: 9780760339947: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/0912656468/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y"]How to Make Your Car Handle: Fred Puhn: 9780912656465: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Supercharging-Turbocharging-Performance-Handbook-Powerpro/dp/B0085AK56Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421253456&sr=1-1&keywords=supercharging+turbocharging"]Supercharging, Turbocharging, and Nitrous Oxide Performance Handbook (Powerpro Series): Diane Davis, Diane Davis Earl Davis: 8580000759013: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineering-Building-Performance-Handling/dp/1557880557/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y"]Chassis Engineering: Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling: Herb Adams: 9781557880550: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

By the time you get into the BRZ you'l have some knowledge and theory under your belt. It will be supplemented with real-world knowledge when you gain experience. I actually recommend buying a cheap car like a Miata first and learning how to do everything to it first, rather than spending bigger bucks on a brand new car. That way if you screw something up or crash you're only out a couple grand. My first car that I seriously modified and drove hard was a 1985 Toyota MR2 that I bought for $500. Learned so much by fixing things when they broke (which was often) and learned a lot about suspension setup, weight reduction, how to do a motor swap to get more power, etc. etc. However if this is more of a minor hobby for you (nothing wrong with that!) the BRZ will be a nice car to satisfy the occasional driving event or wrench session.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Tenament05 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #55
Tenament05

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Buy a few books for the library:

By the time you get into the BRZ you'l have some knowledge and theory under your belt. It will be supplemented with real-world knowledge when you gain experience. I actually recommend buying a cheap car like a Miata first and learning how to do everything to it first, rather than spending bigger bucks on a brand new car. That way if you screw something up or crash you're only out a couple grand. My first car that I seriously modified and drove hard was a 1985 Toyota MR2 that I bought for $500. Learned so much by fixing things when they broke (which was often) and learned a lot about suspension setup, weight reduction, how to do a motor swap to get more power, etc. etc. However if this is more of a minor hobby for you (nothing wrong with that!) the BRZ will be a nice car to satisfy the occasional driving event or wrench session.

Buying a junker to work on/learn to drive stick.. I never saw the logic in that unless the person really likes the junker and has a pocketbook to pay for the restorations... which are not cheap unless one has a badass junkyard/connection to NOS/OEM/aftermarket stuff.
Tenament05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #56
dpgfunk

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lurn good
dpgfunk is offline   Reply With Quote