follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
So after all it wasn't a battery issue and the issue is with the ECU. Welcome to the internet forums world
Well we don't know where things started. The fact that the battery should have been the first thing checked not one of the last does not change.
I can't get over the feeling that there is some vital info missing someplace here. there are just to many conflicting comments to make sense and there must be something that ties them all together.

Jordon needs to get this to one place and let one person work on it to try to get to the bottom of things. This whole process has been a clusterfuck right from the start.
Jordan Silveira (07-02-2016), Summerwolf (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #114
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well we don't know where things started. The fact that the battery should have been the first thing checked not one of the last does not change.
I can't get over the feeling that there is some vital info missing someplace here. there are just to many conflicting comments to make sense and there must be something that ties them all together.

Jordon needs to get this to one place and let one person work on it to try to get to the bottom of things. This whole process has been a clusterfuck right from the start.
Well my idea now @Tcoat is to file a mechanical breakdown claim through Geico. I believe they let you choose where to take it. I will have to send it to a Subaru dealer if for nothing else than programming with the proprietary Subaru software. Also though, if I get it fixed through a Subaru Dealer they will have on my service history that the car was returned to oem/factory requirements. My hopes though is I can get this done for my $250 deductible as opposed to $1100 from Subaru. With my luck though, Subaru will tell Geico it was my fault and Geico will deny it.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #115
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't think insurance should be involved. Now if subaru claims the tune to geico... geico will suspect modifications and then you'll deal with insurance issues as well.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #116
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I don't think insurance should be involved. Now if subaru claims the tune to geico... geico will suspect modifications and then you'll deal with insurance issues as well.
What do you mean exactly? Maybe I am naiive but what do you suspect would happen with Geico was told about this alleged tune from Subaru?
Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #117
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
They could up your rates or choose to drop you. If they think you are modifying it and trying to make a claim when things go badly. Stranger things have happened.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #118
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
They could up your rates or choose to drop you. If they think you are modifying it and trying to make a claim when things go badly. Stranger things have happened.
Yikes! Okay. Man this situation just gets messier and messier. I would like to avoid having to find a way to cough up 1100 for something I didn't do.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #119
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Eh, if it was me, once all channels have been exhausted (and you are almost there) I'd look at this as an opportunity to get the inevitable mods out o the way and blow up the warranty. Tune the fucker- go header back on the exhaust, & tune out the torque hole; if you have the extra cash, turbo/SC it. Get a tuned ECU if you need to replace it or buy an OFT or some other tuning solution.

If you can't fight and you can't flee... then flow.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #120
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Eh, if it was me, once all channels have been exhausted (and you are almost there) I'd look at this as an opportunity to get the inevitable mods out o the way and blow up the warranty. Tune the fucker- go header back on the exhaust, & tune out the torque hole; if you have the extra cash, turbo/SC it. Get a tuned ECU if you need to replace it or buy an OFT or some other tuning solution.

If you can't fight and you can't flee... then flow.
Believe me I know. That's why I called delicious tuning. Do you know or anyone know if a OFT, ECUTEK, or Tactrix will work? I mean let's say the information is true that the CID/CVN is from a 2015 BRZ and unrecognizable and Delicious Tuning said they couldn't fix it. Is there any way to go from here outside of needing to buy a new ECU?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #121
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Believe me I know. That's why I called delicious tuning. Do you know or anyone know if a OFT, ECUTEK, or Tactrix will work? I mean let's say the information is true that the CID/CVN is from a 2015 BRZ and unrecognizable and Delicious Tuning said they couldn't fix it. Is there any way to go from here outside of needing to buy a new ECU?
Only way to know for sure is to call them yourself and ask. Describe your problem short and concisely and they should be able to give you an answer right away. Easiest method would be to just replace the ECU.

I also would advise to not involve Geico at all. Once an insurance company knows you have mods on your car they will definitely raise your rate, and if they have reason to believe that your mods are what caused the ECU to malfunction (which is unlikely but who knows what Subaru will tell them) they could possibly withdraw you from their service.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #122
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay more updates:

With that said, I firmly believe it's likely the tint shop caused the ECU to fail per the solution/water either through the doors, but more likely the windshield. .

I'm sorry, if you want to carry this type of thinking moving forward, you're just going about this wrong.

How in the world is a tint shop going to water damage the ECU? HOW? I drove through a massive hailstorm/thunderstorm in Texas on April 29th after a day at the track and nothing was damaged, not even the paint.

You don't know what caused the problem, the dealers can't give you a straight answer, you reviewed footage at the tint shop, and suddenly now you "firmly believe it's likely the tint shop caused the ECU to fail" after the dealer can't fix your problem because of a bad/bricked ECU?

Yeah, good luck figuring it out. And before you get a lawyer you might want to start getting your facts and your story straight.

-alex

Edit: what is your proof for the ECU being damaged? Did you take it apart? Did you check fuses for ECU? Was there any visible evidence of water damage? Did you document this?
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #123
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I agree with above posters in that you should avoid involving your insurance - they are just as likely to side with the dealer as they are with you. If they side with the dealer, it could end up seriously problematic for you. That said, based on your previous posts, I gather that you are looking for a professional solution to this as quickly as possible, rather than attempting a self diagnosis, etc. That's perfectly reasonable. If so, I would find an independent mechanic, shell out the money, and let them do a full diagnosis. Take the results of this to a lawyer, along with your version of events, and let the lawyer advise you on how to proceed filing a claim against the dealer and/or SOA. If you go straight back to another Subaru dealer, while they are best equipped to diagnose your problem, they also have access to your now-tainted vehicle history and may continue to treat you in a less-than-desirable fashion. This is the most rapid way to fix your problems. The money can be recovered later following a discussion with a lawyer.

One question I had: I think you mentioned that you purchased this "new" car with a "used" title. Did you ask the selling dealer why the title had been changed? This is a giant, bright, and rapidly waving red flag in my opinion.

And please, for the love of all things holy, don't modify your car before you resolve this problem. That will definitely destroy any reasonable chance of you getting reimbursed for these issues.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #124
theadmiral976

Quote:
I bought a 2016 BRZ Series.Hyperblue for 2,000 off MSRP from Subaru of Glendale with 193 miles on it. I was told the car would still maintain all factory and manufacturer warranties (which still seems to be the case). However, I was sold the car as used. I was told the car was an unwind vehicle and while being asked to keep this information quiet, the car was purchased by a salesman in order to hit the monthly sales quota and then unwound. Unfortunately, upon purchasing the car something with this story seemed to be shifty as from what I know now, that all may be true but there also seems to be an owner who purchased the car in late January.
Here is what I'm talking about. Pull a Carfax on your car as soon as possible. Figure out if there was an additional owner and/or any claims placed on the car prior to your purchase date.

And a friendly word of advice: don't ever buy a car after being asked to "keep information quiet" about the sale. Yes, most times these things are simply administrative shenanigans and can often save you money (as I imagine this sale did relative to other cars you were looking at ); however, every now and then someone is being dishonest and you end up getting screwed. The extra 1-2 thousand dollars is usually worth it when dealing with 5-10 thousand dollar repair bills.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #125
theadmiral976

And one more thing: earlier I made the assumption that you are seeking professional help with regard to your issues. Of course, there are things that you can do yourself to assist in diagnosing your issue. While there are forum members, myself included, who are more than happy to assist, it would be awesome if you could let us know if you actually want to pursue self-diagnosis before we spend lots of time walking you through any steps of which you are unsure. I know I'm not offended if you want to pursue a professional solution (I know I would in your specific situation), but it really isn't clear to me if you actually want us to help you in examining your ECU for hardware or software issues. I could write a novella, and many others on this forum could write an encyclopedia, on examining your ECU, including wiring damage, OBD-II port damage, pulling codes, checking CalIDs and flash history, and even checking engine parameters related to a no-start issue. Just let us know how you are going to proceed so we can best help you.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #126
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Stop posting, delete what you have posted, and then find a local lawyer who specializes in "auto dealer fraud." Do not expect a windfall as a result, but rather to be made whole and have a working car. Part of the settlement will be your legal fees, and a lawyer worth hiring should not charge for a consult. Don't speculate any more, just cut to the chase and call a qualified lawyer who specializes in the issue you're having. No seriously, do it now. Why are you still reading? You should be deleting. Possibly Googling. Really this time. Now.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote