follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Porsche US Roadshow Tour and my new found love for the track

This past Saturday I had the time of my life over at Fontanna Auto Club Speedway for the Porsche US Roadshow. I got to drive about six different cars on varying road courses including several high speed runs on the infield. First up was a relatively low speed auto-x setup with the Panamera S and Hybrid, next was the Boxster S on an even larger setup and lastly the base model Carerra, Carrera S and Panamera GTS on the high speed course. My favorite were the last two and of course they happen to be the most expensive. This was my first track event ever, and far from my last!! I'll post pics up when I have the chance to do so a bit later.

With the desire to incorporate Auto-X'ng into my life as a hobby I'm facing the challenge of what car do I buy next that's suitable for this purpose if not the FR-S? I say "if not" because I'm facing the challenge as many many of you know and I've talked about many many times of fitting into the car. Obviously, this is quite important as the driver needs to be able to make quick maneuvers (i.e. turning the steering wheel abruptly at a moments notice for corrections) to change direction and so on. It really sucks because there's nothing else on the market that comes close on a road course to the handling capabilities of the AS1 chassis. I could get a GTI or WRX but then I'll be understeering like crazy, like when I flogged the Panamera GTS on my last lap. Or will a good set of sway bars bring a FF/FA car closer to the handling characteristics of a RWD car?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

some of my ig'd pics

Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I love that dark blue color. Appeals to me the same way Ultramarine does.

There are a few stops left on the tour in case anybody is interested: https://www.porscheworldroadshowusa.com/
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

It was a LOT of fun. I was really impressed with the Panamera S- don't think I mentioned that. Big car but handles a lot smaller than it's size, though I'm sure if I really pushed it, much like the Panamera GTS, it's size and weight really would have become apparent in fast-hard cornering. If I had the money I'd get the Carrera S for sure.

I will say this though, and laugh or whatever all you want, don't really care: the FR-S handles better than ALL of the cars I drove that day. Seriously. These cars had power but have so much computerized tech to harness it all and aid the driving experience. The FR-S has NONE other than stability control, of course. If I had the FR-S on that track it would have been a seriously other worldly experience. No doubt. The FR-S is still the one, even if I have fitment issues.