follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #155
Mr.Hachi.Roku
I'm NOT the *****istrator

Drives: 1NZ-FE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I remeber when they 1st showed the LF-A in 2005. Didn't like it that much; the headlights looked out of place.

Clarkson would say it's hideous!! and he wouldn't be wrong

thank god they improved the one that actually made production

but i cant how much more they can improve the 86 concept ... its perfect on all counts
Mr.Hachi.Roku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #156
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I think LF-A concept in 2007 is the most beautiful car. LFA is more race than elegance.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #157
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Seriously? You grant me a STFU? Oh boy...

*****snip*****
As craig said, If I had the time, I'd actually quote you and correct you point by point. However, i have better things to do, so I'll just say that all you make are a bunch of assumptions, and you know how that saying goes....

p.s. The LFA makes peak torque @6800 rpm, but 90% is available from 3700rpm or so. Try asking that from any other production V10, which all have similar peak torque figures.

p.p.s yes, I did grant you an STFU. Take it and use it please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I think LF-A concept in 2007 is the most beautiful car. LFA is more race than elegance.
Agreed.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #158
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
As craig said, If I had the time, I'd actually quote you and correct you point by point. However, i have better things to do, so I'll just say that all you make are a bunch of assumptions, and you know how that saying goes....

p.s. The LFA makes peak torque @6800 rpm, but 90% is available from 3700rpm or so. Try asking that from any other production V10, which all have similar peak torque figures.

Agreed.

Quote:
No one will cry. Scion shouldn't be a 'hip' brand, it should be a brand that keeps poor people out of Kias.
Doty0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #159
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
wrd.

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #160
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
^ ehh still not feeling it.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #161
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX

Looks like the silhouette they use in the Infiniti commercials, the brush stroke silhouette.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #162
Dark
Elite Padawan

the 2007 concept's front end is like... "I'm Japanese, and I can scream at 9000rpm. My tear drops from my eye because I go too fast"...They should have kept that front end.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #163
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
R_E_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #164
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
It's like robotic to me. Not quite a Japanese look, but I like it. If it's the styling of production version's headlight, I would be more happy.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #165
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post

That's never going to happen on the internet.

Let me try to articulate the source of my frustration.

The LFA is just another supercar. Try to understand what I'm saying. These cars have no bearing on me or any other of 99% of enthusiasts that will never be able to afford one.

I will NEVER drive an LFA. Not out of spite or arrogance or anything like that. Just out of the pure reality of the cost and rarity. This applies to the vast majority of people in the world. Ditto for the Veyrons, Murcielagos, Fioranos, McLarens etc... NEVER going to happen.

It is a FACT that the initial design parameters for this car, that became the LFA, was a Toyota (as opposed to Lexus) developed car with an aluminum spaceframe with a V8 engine. Whether my assumptions about WHY the design changed so drastically are correct or not don't change the fact that it DID change.

Now answer this honestly. Was the Toyota enthusiast community better served by the production of 500 $375000, carbon-tub, V10 supercars? Or if Toyota had used its resources to build a $50-70000, aluminum chassis, V8 powered (possibly the 2UR-GSE), twin clutch or even 6 speed manual, 3300 lb, Supra successor coupe, closer to the original specifications?

If you don't understand my frustration there's something wrong with you.

PS I also believe you told me to STFU regarding comparing a hypothetical modded GTR to a stock LFA, correct? Are you implying that GTR's are never modified? Are you implying that a mythical Supra, competitor to the GTR would never be modified? You know the realities, bud. Few people are going to want to touch their $375k LFAs and modded cars will soon tear its numbers apart in every category except reliability and resale value. Live with it.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #166
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Better choice for a Toyota supercar. Built for a purpose.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #167
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
That's never going to happen on the internet.

Let me try to articulate the source of my frustration.

The LFA is just another supercar. Try to understand what I'm saying. These cars have no bearing on me or any other of 99% of enthusiasts that will never be able to afford one.

I will NEVER drive an LFA. Not out of spite or arrogance or anything like that. Just out of the pure reality of the cost and rarity. This applies to the vast majority of people in the world. Ditto for the Veyrons, Murcielagos, Fioranos, McLarens etc... NEVER going to happen.

It is a FACT that the initial design parameters for this car, that became the LFA, was a Toyota (as opposed to Lexus) developed car with an aluminum spaceframe with a V8 engine. Whether my assumptions about WHY the design changed so drastically are correct or not don't change the fact that it DID change.

Now answer this honestly. Was the Toyota enthusiast community better served by the production of 500 $375000, carbon-tub, V10 supercars? Or if Toyota had used its resources to build a $50-70000, aluminum chassis, V8 powered (possibly the 2UR-GSE), twin clutch or even 6 speed manual, 3300 lb, Supra successor coupe, closer to the original specifications?

If you don't understand my frustration there's something wrong with you.

PS I also believe you told me to STFU regarding comparing a hypothetical modded GTR to a stock LFA, correct? Are you implying that GTR's are never modified? Are you implying that a mythical Supra, competitor to the GTR would never be modified? You know the realities, bud. Few people are going to want to touch their $375k LFAs and modded cars will soon tear its numbers apart in every category except reliability and resale value. Live with it.
**sigh**

Where to start? Why should you hate a car just because you will probably never get to drive or own it? Just because you can't have at it, does not mean that no one will. That does not take away from how great a car it is.

You own a Supra, and you are here, which would lead me to hypothesize that you are a Toyota fan. If anything else, you should be glad the LFA exists. Why? The lessons learnt and the tooling invested in the development and production of the LFA WILL make it's way down through the rest of Lexus/Toyota's lineup, especially when they get the sports cars rolling again.

It is a FACT that the LFA was always supposed to be a Lexus. Yes, it did begin as an Aluminum chassis car, and yes, at one point, it was powered by a modded V8, however, it was never supposed to be a Toyota (contrary to what I thought previously) and the V8 was never intended for the production model.

I do understand your frustration, but the way you deal with it doesn't really make me hold your opinion in very high regard. Because of the LFA, Toyota now knows how to produce a car that has incredible balance and road feel apart from just being able to handle really well. The 500 people that buy the LFA bought the tooling for Toyota to be able to mass produce carbon fiber at a reasonable price, in a production method that allows it to be laid in a faster time frame, and be able to be used in strategic places in the chassis for better weight distribution and cost/weight ratio.

Of course I'd love to have a $70k Supra successor now, but guess what? I think because of the LFA, when that car does come, it will be better directly because of it. I'm happy to drive the FT-86 meanwhile. Your assumption however, that the LFA was supposed to be that car is WRONG.

As for your STFU, comparing a modded car to a stock car is pointless. Like I said, with a few grand, one could modify an Evo to slaughter a stock or modded GT-R and many other supercars notches above it. Heck, if you are just worrying about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, a modded civic could trump them both. I'm pretty sure if someone were interested in modding their LFA, they could do so without problem, witness UGR's twin turbo Gallardo, resale value be damned. The LFA was built to be driven, not sat in a garage and speculated on.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #168
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Better choice for a Toyota supercar. Built for a purpose.
No doubt this is an awesome car, but would you like to step into reality and explain why it'd be a better? Wouldn't it be "just another supercar" as well? Any idea what one of these costs?