follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #43
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanrw260 View Post
Will a tune from Shiv with a OFT help me avoid anymore cels related to this issue?

Yes and make your car run way healthier

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
jordanrw260

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Yes and make your car run way healthier

Sent from my IBrick
Shoot. I guess I will need to sell the unichip and switch over cause I keep getting the cel.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #45
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
An ECUTek tune would be best but even OFT is better than Unichip.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #46
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
An ECUTek tune would be best but even OFT is better than Unichip.
Lets not start this crap again please. ECUTek is not "better" than OFT.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #47
jordanrw260

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Haha ya I agree please everyone let's not start the comparison here. I just wanted to know if the OFT will allow my car to run safe and secure without a cel and tuned for performance.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #48
Malt

Quote:
Haha ya I agree please everyone let's not start the comparison here. I just wanted to know if the OFT will allow my car to run safe and secure without a cel and tuned for performance.

Stage 2 OFT maps will work great with your borla UEL headers just like I'm sure a custom ECUtek reflash will as well. Both will get rid of your CEL.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #49
Fast_Freddy

Quote:

That would be your opinion. I've already stated mine.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #50
Malt

Quote:
That would be your opinion. I've already stated mine.
There's no opinion in my statement, merely facts. OFT and ECUtek are simply means to upload a tune to a car. I'm assuming what you meant to say is that ECUtek tuners provide superior tunes than OFT tuners. THAT would be opinion. Comparing a custom tune to an off the shelf tune is not comparing apples to apples. Both have the ability to provide a custom tune.

So since we're trying to educate the OP on what his options are, lets lay down the facts.

OFT (aka openflash tablet): $495 for the tablet to flash tunes to your car. Tunes are provided by Shiv at vishnu tuning for free. There is a stage 2 off the shelf map that level out the torque dip around 3500 rpm and give a nice HP increase OR you can get a custom tune that might net you a few more horsepower and a tune that is designed around the mods your car has. The price for that tune is highly variable and dependant on which tuner you go to get your tune from.

ECUtek: $350 for the Cable, $295 for the license, $300-$???? for the tune. You can get an off the shelf tune for ECUtek that provides roughly the exact same power that shivs tunes give which will cost you $945 OR you can get a custom tune that might net you a few more horsepower and a tune that is designed around the mods your car has. The price for that tune is highly variable and dependant on which tuner you go to get your tune from.

So to boil it all down:
Off the shelf tune for your headers: $495 for OFT OR $945 for ECUtek

Custom tune for your car: $495 + ? for tuning costs for an OFT custom tune or $645 + ? for the tuning costs for an ECUtek master tuner custom tune.

You decide what you want to pay. If all you have is headers and exhaust and you want a tune to get rid of the CEL and make some more power without paying more for a custom tune for your car then both ECUtek and OFT can give you a product that will work for you that provide comparable results. If you want a custom tune and want to pay the extra money for someone to give you a tune around your cars mods, then both have that option as well.

Don't buy into the nonsense that is getting spread around here that ECUtek is superior to OFT. They are essentially the same thing, a means to get a tune on your car. What truly matters is the person providing the tunes.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #51
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Most EcuTek tuners charge 799 - 899 (including hardware) for a CUSTOM tune on a reputable platform you can take to most BRZ/FR-S tuners, not 945. And you get full RaceROM features, and support future development. Much better deal than just a rebranded tablet and a generic tune IMO. If you have to go cheap wait for open source.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #52
Fast_Freddy

Quote:
There's no opinion in my statement, merely facts. OFT and ECUtek are simply means to upload a tune to a car. I'm assuming what you meant to say is that ECUtek tuners provide superior tunes than OFT tuners. THAT would be opinion. Comparing a custom tune to an off the shelf tune is not comparing apples to apples. Both have the ability to provide a custom tune.

So since we're trying to educate the OP on what his options are, lets lay down the facts.

OFT (aka openflash tablet): $495 for the tablet to flash tunes to your car. Tunes are provided by Shiv at vishnu tuning for free. There is a stage 2 off the shelf map that level out the torque dip around 3500 rpm and give a nice HP increase OR you can get a custom tune that might net you a few more horsepower and a tune that is designed around the mods your car has. The price for that tune is highly variable and dependant on which tuner you go to get your tune from.

ECUtek: $350 for the Cable, $295 for the license, $300-$???? for the tune. You can get an off the shelf tune for ECUtek that provides roughly the exact same power that shivs tunes give which will cost you $945 OR you can get a custom tune that might net you a few more horsepower and a tune that is designed around the mods your car has. The price for that tune is highly variable and dependant on which tuner you go to get your tune from.

So to boil it all down:
Off the shelf tune for your headers: $495 for OFT OR $945 for ECUtek

Custom tune for your car: $495 + ? for tuning costs for an OFT custom tune or $645 + ? for the tuning costs for an ECUtek master tuner custom tune.

You decide what you want to pay. If all you have is headers and exhaust and you want a tune to get rid of the CEL and make some more power without paying more for a custom tune for your car then both ECUtek and OFT can give you a product that will work for you that provide comparable results. If you want a custom tune and want to pay the extra money for someone to give you a tune around your cars mods, then both have that option as well.

Don't buy into the nonsense that is getting spread around here that ECUtek is superior to OFT. They are essentially the same thing, a means to get a tune on your car. What truly matters is the person providing the tunes.

All I see above are incorrect "facts", heavily biased comparisons and opinion!

You've inflated the cost of the Custom Ecutek tune and ignored the included remote tune updates. I got free lifetime updates with my tune. How much does it cost to update your "free" OFT base tune? You have to add that before you can compare the cost to a custom ECUtek tune. You compared apples to oranges.

Another thing you've completely missed is the Ecutek remote dyno tune option. My custom Ecutek tune only cost $575 plus $75 for an hour on the dyno. That cost includes the license, base stage II tune and custom remote tune updates. With OFT all you get is the base tune. My base tune made 10whp, 5ft lbs and was too lean. After remotely revising the tune it made 17whp and 10ft lbs with perfect AFR. My tune was done in only 1 hour.

So to break the actual costs down, an OFT costs $500 and includes some free base tunes from Shiv. The base tune may be safe as-is or may need revisions depending on your very particular setup. It will probably add power but not nearly as much as it could. Plan on finding a tuner to make that base tune fit your setup. Odds are that you are stuck with Shiv or some local guy trying his hand at tuning his first FA20.

An Ecutek tune starts at $575 if you skip the unnecessary cable and includes custom remote tune revisions. You need to use a local shop to go this route but it's well worth it. This method gets you a custom dyno tune that is safer and makes considerably more power than a base tune alone. You can always add a cable if you ever feel that you need one or just use your local shop's cable. Some tuners even offer a loaner cable.

Anyway, I strongly agree with your point that what truly matters is the tuner. With OFT you're going with Shiv or ???. With Ecutek you can choose from dozens of the most experienced and capable FA20 tuners in the world. The only advantage I see with OFT is the ability to try your hand at some amateur home tuning. I can't imagine why any good tuner would be willing to give the farm away by tuning you with OFT unless he was getting paid on the sale of the OFT like Shiv is. That's my opinion of your "facts".

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 12-11-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #53
Fast_Freddy

Quote:
I just wanted to know if the OFT will allow my car to run safe and secure without a cel and tuned for performance.

I wouldn't count on it unless you're running the exact same setup upon which the generic base tune was created. It's possible but it's very likely that the base tune provided by OFT will need to be revised to match your particular setup.

FWIW, I'm very pleased with my Ecutek custom dyno tune from Pure Automotive Performance. The base tune made 10whp/5lbs and was too lean. The finished tune made 17whp/10lbs with perfect AFR. The tune took one hour and cost me $650 total for the tune and dyno time. No more CELs either.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #54
jordanrw260

Garage
I'll have to check locally in St . Louis and see if anyone could tune using ECUTek on a dyno.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #55
Malt

Quote:
All I see above are incorrect "facts", heavily biased comparisons and opinion.

You've inflated the cost of the Custom ECUTek tune and ignored the included custom tune updates. I got free lifetime updates with my tune. How much does it cost to update your "free" OFT base tune? You have to add that before you can compare the cost to a custom ECUtek tune.

Another thing you've completely missed is the ECUTek remote dyno tune option. My custom ECUTek tune only cost $575 plus $75 for an hour on the dyno. That cost includes the license, base stage II tune and custom remote tune updates. With OFT all you get is the base tune. My base tune made 10whp, 5ft lbs and was too lean. After remotely revising the tune it made 17whp and 10ft lbs with perfect AFR. My tune was done in only 1 hour.

So to break the costs down, an OFT costs $500 and includes some free base tunes from Shiv. The base tune may be safe as-is or may need revisions depending on your very particular setup. It will probably add power but not nearly as much as it could. Plan on finding a tuner to make that base tune fit your engine. Odds are that you are stuck with Shiv or some local guy trying his hand at tuning his first FA20.

An ECUtek tune starts at $575 if you skip the unnecessary cable and includes custom remote tune revisions. You need to use a local shop to go this route but it's well worth it. This method gets you a custom dyno tune that is safer and makes considerably more power than a base tune alone. You can always add a cable if you ever feel that you need one or just use your local shop's cable. Some tuners even offer a loaner cable.

Anyway, I strongly agree with your point that what truly matters is the tuner. With OFT you're going with Shiv or ???. With ECUtek you can choose from dozens of the most experienced and capable FA20 tuners in the world. The only advantage I see with OFT is the ability to try your hand at some amateur home tuning. That's my opinion of your "facts".
My Bias is no more strong than yours. I don't like paying for something then not having access to it. What if I want to switch tuners or want to just add a simple change, do I have to go back to square one? Without buying the cable how do you do any data logging to ensure that the tune you paid for is actually safe? Are you going to just take the tuners word for it? Without naming names, I'm sure you've seen examples on these forums of accidents that have happened. That can happen with ANY tuner, which is why you want the ability to log your car to see if what you have is safe or not.

The OP should find a reputable local tuner to tune his car if an off the shelf map isn't satisfactory to him. If those options are not available, Shiv offers remote tunes just like ECUtek tuners do, which basically brings me back to the crux of the conversation. ECUtek and OFT are equivalent to each other for the OP's purpose, OFT just happens to be cheaper when comparing apples to apples. Headers and exhaust doesn't require a massive amount of dyno time or MAP based tuning. So tell me again why OFT isn't a valid option?

Last edited by Malt; 12-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #56
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
FWIW, I'm very pleased with my Ecutek custom dyno tune from Pure Automotive Performance. The base tune made 10whp/5lbs and was too lean. The finished tune made 17whp/10lbs with perfect AFR. The tune took one hour and cost me $650 total for the tune and dyno time. No more CELs either.
Suddenly you are not tuned by visconti? yet the same figures?

btw, you still can't log with that 650 but OFT has logging.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, header, spacer