follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
Thanks, I am really not expecting a new car or anything from the dealership, but I will look into the diminished value claim. Waiting to see how the repair turns out first.

Honestly, I would probably say "sh*t happens" and move on if the service manager and the service "liaison" (whatever the f that means) sounded sincere in their apologies and told me that due to this and that reason they couldn't help me further, but their attitude in handling the situation is getting to my nerves.
Be careful going after diminished value. If no insurance company has been involved it will not show up on a report and therefore no value is diminished. From your description of the damage the value would drop a few hundred dollars at best so any settlement could work against you in the long run. I would push for the letter stating that the repairs will not effect trade in at that dealer if I went for anything at all. Don't let your emotions run the situation stay cool and get the most you can back out of them.
OND (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
That's why I try to avoid dealers/repair shops at all costs and do stuff like oil changes myself. Honestly, I don't think there's ever been a time where I walked out of a shop without other issues created by the service people.
With how easy an oil change is on the BRZ, there really is no reason to pay someone else do it. On the other hand, I live in an apartment with no garage and couldn't pass on a free oil change. Guess nothing in life is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Be careful going after diminished value. If no insurance company has been involved it will not show up on a report and therefore no value is diminished. From your description of the damage the value would drop a few hundred dollars at best so any settlement could work against you in the long run. I would push for the letter stating that the repairs will not effect trade in at that dealer if I went for anything at all. Don't let your emotions run the situation stay cool and get the most you can back out of them.
The insurance thing is what I was wondering actually. Doesn't the dealership report everything they do to Carfax anyway? I guess I will ask them tomorrow and not worry about diminished value if they don't report it.

I put minor repairs/blemishes in the sales ads on CL anyway, and most people with real interest don't care about a changed bumper and fender as long as they see before/after pics to verify minor damage. I just don't want this thing to bite me in the *ss if I want to trade it in and the dealer gives me a generic valuation based on Carfax.

Last edited by OND; 11-03-2016 at 09:51 PM.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
That's why I try to avoid dealers/repair shops at all costs and do stuff like oil changes myself. Honestly, I don't think there's ever been a time where I walked out of a shop without other issues created by the service people.
I have the opposite version. For 15 years now all my service has been done by dealers and I have never once had a single issue. Not so much as a smudge on a seat or the body.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
With how easy an oil change is on the BRZ, there really is no reason to pay someone else do it. On the other hand, I live in an apartment with no garage and couldn't pass on a free oil change. Guess nothing in life is free
Yeah, especially if you put a Fumoto QuickValve on there. You could probably pull off into some abandoned parking lot and get it done in like 15 minutes. That's the way I see it; even if service is free, I have to ask myself if it's worth the risk and hassle of the dealers - and that's a resounding "No" for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have the opposite version. For 15 years now all my service has been done by dealers and I have never once had a single issue. Not so much as a smudge on a seat or the body.
I guess that's the difference between America and Canada. People just don't seem to give a shit here. I'm sure there are exceptions but I have yet to find one.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Regardless of whether you go after diminished value or not, make sure you get a bunch of pictures of the damage to document exactly what happened. Make them put it on a lift with you present if need be. Make them let you be there to get pictures when they take the panels off to show the extent of what else was damaged, or make them do it themselves.

This is not a '67 Camaro whose value is greatly increased by having every number matching. The fact is, if you document in great detail exactly what damage occurred and are able to prove that it was nothing but a fender bender that ruined a couple panels, many buyers won't give two shits what the carfax says or if it is the original bumper/fender or not. Even more will lose their minds without fully understanding it because something came up on a carfax, and can be calmed down and convinced that nothing occurred that isn't fixed by a simple unbolting of some cosmetic pieces and application of paint.

The one thing I would push for being that this is the pearl white, is a full repaint of the entire car. I highly doubt they're going to be able to match that very well, as most places can't. If you end up with mismatched panels, have you been made whole?
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
OND (11-11-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #20
OND

I didn't hear anything back from the dealership, although asking to be updated.

Ended up talking to the body shop directly and they mentioned new fender, bumper, side marker and maybe a new headlight if some mounting tab is bent by any chance. That seems to match what I was expecting on first observation. They sounded pretty thorough (no reason not to be if they can charge the dealer more I guess), so I hope everything will turn out ok.

They also mentioned they would need to blend the hood and the door, which sounds fair since pearl white should be hard to match. I really hope I'll get lucky with paint matching and don't have to push for the full repaint. Already bored out of my mind driving around in this Accord and I want my car back.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #21
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Not sure about a "full repaint", but remember that you have the right as the consumer to take it back and have them repaint it as many times as it takes for you to be satisfied.

Like you said the pearl white is a hard paint to work with and match, so they may try to just do their normal routine the first time which might not be good enough.

Make them do it right!

Quote:
I really hope I'll get lucky with paint matching and don't have to push for the full repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You're not going to like hearing this, but get over it. It's not an Aston Martin.

Maybe you'll see a loss of value of a couple thousand? It would probably be the same "loss of value" as putting mileage on the car or trying to sell it modified.

I've been in a situation like yours. It sucks. But realistically you're going to have tons of stone chips and other minor cosmetic flaws anyways. If you wanted a car that was going to have tremendous value in the future you should have bought something rare, or desirable.

I'd ask for a a credit on whatever you think your diminished value would be. Let's call it $1000 to make things easy. That's $1000 of free service and maintenance, which you would spend otherwise. Focus on what they can do in the present to make it right, and not theoretical or hypothetical circumstances in the future. If you were to be involved in an accident in a few years, is your insurance going to pay out less because the bumper was previously replaced? Probably not.

I find it crazy that people put so much concern into something like a bumper.
"Oh no! My bumper has been replaced!!!"
Meanwhile mechanical things have broken or worn out and been replaced and nobody cares.

For the moment just be glad they're owning up to it and fixing it for you. They seem to be giving you very good service and doing what they can to help you out.
OND (11-11-2016), Tcoat (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #23
Yardjass

Blending a metallic or pearlescent paint is half assed bullshit. To the untrained eye, it may not be noticed, which is why you need to get an independent professional to give you the okay on the results if that is the approach the dealership is going to take.

This is not an Aston Martin but they are still obligated to bring it back to the condition that it was before they crashed it. Putting a new factory bumper and losing a VIN stamp isn't going to affect anything in terms of functionality or how it looks. Half assing a paint job by blending it, may.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
HeadBanger (11-09-2016), Tcoat (11-09-2016), why? (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #24
OND

Thumbs up MY BAAAAABYYYYY

Picked it up today. I was happy like a child when I saw my car waiting for me at the parking lot

It looked perfect to my eyes when I checked the paint under the sun. They also told me it wouldn't be reported due to this being an internal incident. Therefore, I can say that even though they messed up at first, they made everything right for me within one week.

With this out of the way and new tires, it should hopefully be a fun weekend.

Before:

After (forgot to take pics under the sun):
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #25
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hope it all works out man. This is part of the reason why I do not go to the dealer for anything...they can keep the free oil changes. I'm nearing 100k miles and at 3.5 years have only been at the dealership to buy oil filters and coolant from the parts dept. 0 service visits. It's somebodies 9-5 to work on something I care about too much.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #26
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh wow! That employee REALLY screwed up lol I was expecting something much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Hope it all works out man. This is part of the reason why I do not go to the dealer for anything...they can keep the free oil changes. I'm nearing 100k miles and at 3.5 years have only been at the dealership to buy oil filters and coolant from the parts dept. 0 service visits. It's somebodies 9-5 to work on something I care about too much.
I guess you never go to the doctor or restaurants either eh
Old 11-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #27
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
Oh wow! That employee REALLY screwed up lol I was expecting something much less.

I guess you never go to the doctor or restaurants either eh
He did screw up, obviously unintentional as are most incidents that occur in parking lots etc.

I go to restaurants all the time and doctors when I need to. I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

What I meant by the '9-5' comment if that's where you're going is if a mechanic stripped a bolt or broke something that does not impact functionality and would not be easily/quickly noticeable by the vehicle owner, chances are they will let it go and not spend the time replacing it. It's happened to myself in the past with prior cars and it's happened to my brother as well on his Legacy GT. If you prefer to let other people service your car then all power to you. I prefer to work on my car myself so I know exactly what was done and there are no surprises
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #28
Yardjass

This is gonna sound wierd but make sure you don't wax it for at least a month. Allow that paint to out gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
why? (11-13-2016)